Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Need Assistance w/ Canon Digital Capture
Old 08-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 70.190.162.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been asked to photograph a formal event and I want to give it a try using my Canon EOS 10D digital camera. Normally for ease of use to me I would use my EOS 3 but I want to give digital a shot and I have not previously done a large event with a digital camera.

I have been told by the organizer that the guests will want to see the photos before laying down money to buy them. I know when I was shooting with Nikon digital equipment there was a program that would allow me to use my camera in a "tethered" configuration to a computer (in my case a laptop) and you could view the un-retouched photos pretty much in real time.

I know that Canon has got to have something very similar and I just need to know what it is that I will need to pull this off. I also know that this will put a lot of the work onto me as far as the post processing and image adjustment are concerned but I need to do this in order to make the guests happy so they will buy lots and lots of my photos.

One question that I do have is when I am doing this is my only option for image capture the RAW mode or can I capture in JPEG mode as well? If RAW is my only option I think I will also need the Canon RAW plug-in so I can open the images in Photoshop.

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Re: Need Assistance w/ Canon Digital Capture
Old 08-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43879
Comments: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to peterw119

peterw119 is offline IP: 213.123.215.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Dave

I did a couple with my S2 just before christmas and decided to buy the proper hyper utility software as it processed the images a lot quicker from the camera than PS and you only need it as means to view them.

I always shoot raw as you have so much more flexibility. The file sizes aren't an issue either as you are writing to the laptop.

On the assumption that you will be working on a fixed location with a back drop, I would have a much wider BG than you would normally have. I found that you start off with couples, then the drinks start flowing and you end up doing group shots with loads of post production to extend the BG, which you may not be paid for. And it's boring!

Pete

Re: Need Assistance w/ Canon Digital Capture
Old 08-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 66.248.165.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1
I have been asked to photograph a formal event and I want to give it a try using my Canon EOS 10D digital camera. Normally for ease of use to me I would use my EOS 3 but I want to give digital a shot and I have not previously done a large event with a digital camera.
I have been told by the organizer that the guests will want to see the photos before laying down money to buy them. I know when I was shooting with Nikon digital equipment there was a program that would allow me to use my camera in a "tethered" configuration to a computer (in my case a laptop) and you could view the un-retouched photos pretty much in real time.
I know that Canon has got to have something very similar and I just need to know what it is that I will need to pull this off. I also know that this will put a lot of the work onto me as far as the post processing and image adjustment are concerned but I need to do this in order to make the guests happy so they will buy lots and lots of my photos.
One question that I do have is when I am doing this is my only option for image capture the RAW mode or can I capture in JPEG mode as well? If RAW is my only option I think I will also need the Canon RAW plug-in so I can open the images in Photoshop.
Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
Your 10D came with a utility to shoot in tethered mode. Its on the Cd that came with the camera. HOwever, it is not very good. If you go to the Breezesys site you'll find that they have a product that gives you all the power one would need to shoot in the tethered mode. Here is a link to the product.

http://breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

If you want to hedge your bets you can shoot using the mode that imbeds a bull size JPG in the RAW file, and then you can deal with the images in post processing if needed, more effectively. You'll need the latest plugin from Adobe for converting the RAW images into Photoshop, but it is a free download. But you'll need CS or CS2 for that. You won't find that the Canon RAW plugin is very good and it doesn't work with PS, so you have to convert to TIF, and then bring the TIF files into Photoshop. So if using PS CS or CS2 be sure to get the latest version of the ACR from Adobe.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith