Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
adobe colorspace question
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45621
Comments: 0

brew is offline IP: 24.7.220.183

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been doing a little researching and am considering using AdobeRGB over sRGB because of the wider range of colors(to my understanding). MY Camera (5D) has the option to use Either colorspace.... what type of headaches will i be opening myself up to by changing?? what else will i have to change besides camera capture options. what about if i choose to display on web? will colors be off ? how would i remedy that if i choose to use adobeRGB?
I have read this it seemed the simplest exlination i have found but it doesnt seem complete enough color space link any more info advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Eric D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to brew Find More Posts by brew
Last edited by brew; 07-31-2006 at 09:23 PM..

Previously I held. . .
Old 07-31-2006, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 71.195.202.76

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

that since there are no (at that time) output devices that can reproduce a colorspace beyond sRGB it made no sense to go beyond it. I'm not sure this is still true but someone stated that eventually output devices would reach that capability and for their part they felt it wise to stick with AdobeRGB. With the increased tendancy to Shoot and Archive RAW images I suspect the whole thing is mute. Find out what your output is going to be and work for that.
One wonders if anyone can see the difference in either.

Re: adobe colorspace question
Old 07-31-2006, 11:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 60.224.6.218

I believe there are some newer printers that can go beyond sRGB - I think the Epson Ultrachrome HiGloss does so when using its Red and Blue inks (that supplement the CMYK).

I use various colour spaces as intermediate steps (sometimes even ProPhoto), but only when working in 16-bit. I generally take the images down to sRGB 8-bit if I am making JPEGs for screen display.

I have a Canon 5D, too. I don't get it to make JPEGs, though. I always shoot RAW, so that setting is irrelevant to me. I prefer to have control over white balance, etc, during post-processing. For example, if you look at my portfolio, the two silhouettes were produced using Adobe Camera Raw - almost no processing once I had converted the RAW.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 08-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

I think you just create more problems in post processing for yourself by going with AdobeRGB. If you "save for web", then you always have to remember to do extra steps or your web shot will not look the same as the one in Photoshop. I have found the prints I make from sRGB are excellent and it is doubtful if the average person will ever know the difference. So I would shoot sRGB and that will be just one less workflow problem.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45621

brew is offline IP: 24.7.220.183

Thank you for all of your input sounds like a hassle to go to adobe and a compatibility issue aswell.

Eric D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to brew Find More Posts by brew

Old 08-02-2006, 05:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran

Member GG#: 46477

atlantashooter is offline IP: 71.12.160.247

When we transitioned all of our photographers to digital I thought the added range of colors would be the best path as well. I had to learn the hard way that the labs we used couldn't print it. The numeric values for the colors were falling into a wicked color shift on some colors - when the labs tried to match color to the skin tones like they normally do then royal blue looked more like purple and when the labs tried to match colors to known colors in our setup some skin tones tended to a nasty dull brown color. The blues had the most problem. The numeric value for a color in Adobe RGB does not equate to the same color value in sRGB even though the entire sRBG range falls within the Adobe RGB range. If you do a colorspace conversion in PS to make the values end up close to one another you're right back to sRGB anyway. After several months of trying to work with the labs (who you would think be able to figure this out) we figured it out on our own. Changing over to shooting sRGB changed everything. Unless you are producing your own output I would strongly advise checking with whoever is doing your prints to see if they have Adobe RGB capable printers. Learn from our frustration.

The other thing is if you post anything online you'll want to upload only sRGB or suffer the same kinds of problems.

DP Ellis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter
Last edited by atlantashooter; 08-02-2006 at 05:43 AM..

Old 08-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Big Beach Studios

Member GG#: 35245

Barry is offline IP: 67.8.211.177

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
I think you just create more problems in post processing for yourself by going with AdobeRGB. If you "save for web", then you always have to remember to do extra steps or your web shot will not look the same as the one in Photoshop. I have found the prints I make from sRGB are excellent and it is doubtful if the average person will ever know the difference. So I would shoot sRGB and that will be just one less workflow problem.
Cheers,
rfs
I submit most of my raw adobeRGB images untouched to several mags. The "save to web" reduces everything in color, saturation, highlights. I just reduce the tiff to web size, add a little sharpening and save as a jpeg. for web use.
What are the extra steps to restore saturation, color if you "save for web" R_Fredrick Smith?
Thank you
Barry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Barry Visit Barry's homepage! Find More Posts by Barry

Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

With AdobeRGB one simply gains a small range of greens and blues. (as the chart suggests) For shooting indoors it's really unecessary. If you are shooting color images outdoors with sky and grass and trees, then you might want to have that expanded range.

Ahh yes I forgot, as cclesue said abaove, no output device prints those colors anyhow. They can if you print using more that the common CMYK inks. But, that is costly and who can detect AdobeRGB next to an sRGB anyhow? No one who is going to buy the print is who. Soo, I would suggest letting AdobeRGB lay down and stick with the common print range of sRGB.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 08-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
I submit most of my raw adobeRGB images untouched to several mags. The "save to web" reduces everything in color, saturation, highlights. I just reduce the tiff to web size, add a little sharpening and save as a jpeg. for web use.
What are the extra steps to restore saturation, color if you "save for web" R_Fredrick Smith?
Thank you
Barry
Here is a simple example:

The photo on the left as seen in Photoshop. The photo on the right as it looks after using Save for web. How do you make them look the same. Well there are several ways. One way is to just change the color space of the one on the left to sRGB. When you do it will look exactly the same as it now does. But when you then do the Save for web, it will now look exactly as it does in Photoshop. There are other tricks possible also, but this is one of the easiest ways.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

R_Fredrick_Smith

What differences do you see between "Save for Web" and "Save As" in Photoshop?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images