Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Right click protection
Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 64.12.116.73

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Can anyone tell me the steps to take or add to keep people from right clicking and copying my work ? That is, on the web and CDs

View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Re: Right click protection
Old 07-18-2006, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.205.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I found this...

http://html_help4u.tripod.com/fp_nrc.html

Maybe that'll help? It's only for webpages though. I didn't know you could even do that for CDs. I guess anything's possible, but I wouldn't know how to do it.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 07-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 71.199.178.193

If you dont want it stolen then dont put it on the web. Otherwise where there is will, in this case there already is a way.

On a CD good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 07-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

I have a "right click disabled" on my website. Check it out at www.martysphotography.com and if you like it, send me an email and I'll send you the script. StuHaluski is very correct ... if you put it on the web, it can be stolen, because there's always screen print.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.152.241.132

Marty,

I checked out your site (nice photos, btw) and tried a right-click on one of the full-size images and it worked (ie. was going to allow me to save the image). I'm using Firefox, so... Anyway, thought I'd let you know.

Keep shooting,
Alan B.

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy

Old 07-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.152.241.132

Yup I agree if anyone wants it bad enough they'll find a way to snag it, however it doesn't hurt to 'harden the target.' But, that's just me. Btw...thanks for the link to the html snippet, I'll try it out.
Alan B.

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy

Old 07-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Quote:
Marty, I checked out your site (nice photos, btw) and tried a right-click on one of the full-size images and it worked (ie. was going to allow me to save the image). I'm using Firefox, so... Anyway, thought I'd let you know.
I used an old javascript that works for IE browsers, but I didn't try it with Foxfire. Guess that's further proof that no matter what you do to protect an image, if someone wants to steal your image .... they'll find a way to steal it. My other website www.martygast.com uses Flash to protect the images, but I'm sure there's a way around that too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart
I used an old javascript that works for IE browsers, but I didn't try it with Foxfire. Guess that's further proof that no matter what you do to protect an image, if someone wants to steal your image .... they'll find a way to steal it. My other website www.martygast.com uses Flash to protect the images, but I'm sure there's a way around that too.
I was able to right click and download images on both your sites. The flash itself will block the right click, but you can still capture the picture without the right click, and none of your larger pictures appeared to be in the flash module.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymc
Can anyone tell me the steps to take or add to keep people from right clicking and copying my work ? That is, on the web and CDs
First it doesn't keep people from getting the images. They can just hit Print Screen key on their keyboard, or copy the photo out of their browser cache or use any of a number of other methods. But it also puts you at a liability risk since it affects people with disabilities. A number of accessibility options are located on the right click menu and are used by people with disabilities. A number of law suits are not starting to appear on this issue. It is also just not moral or right to disable the right click because it robs the legitimate user of many powerful functions that the browser provides. I have over 25 options on my right click menu which I use right click on web pages and it is very annoying to have someone disable features on my computer. The easiest and safest thing to do to provide a reasonable amount of protects is just to publish lower rez images and put a watermark on them. That makes it more trouble than its worth to try and steal them. Here is an example:

They can steal it, but it will take a lot of work to get rid of the faint watermark.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 205.188.116.201

Same teck used so you cant copy DVD's
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc