Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Raw Shooter bought out by Adobe!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

http://www.pixmantec.com/company/adobe.asp

****!...Does this mean that Adobe is going the way of Microsoft?...buy out the competition and then bury the code in the backyard!

In particular I highlight these 2 statements...

"In preparation for this integration, the Pixmantec RawShooter Premium product is being discontinued, though the free RawShooter Essentials product will continue to be available until the Lightroom public beta program is completed."

The Lightroom beta program is MAC only for now and no one at Adobe is willing to say when the Windows program will open. So this doesn't make me any happier.

"Existing Pixmantec customers will continue to be supported by Adobe and will be provided with an upgrade path to the Adobe digital imaging product family."

I'll be very interested in seeing just how much of an Upgrade Path this is going to be and how much this is going to cost me.

I'm still struggling with the program and how it does things but what it does do is very different from the Adobe product.

So I'm NOT amused to read this.

Re: Raw Shooter bought out by Adobe!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I've spent a bit of time reading a lot of messages from a whole bunch of PO'd users of Raw Shooter. Most will agree that the takeover was business related but the drift seems to be that most (myself included) are not happy with the way it was done...or announced. There were NO official emails sent out ahead of time and no offer up front from Adobe. There couldn't be because it's the intention of Adobe for all Raw Shooter users to migrate to Lightroom. The problem is that it's still in Beta...AND that beta program is MAC users only. Still no announcement of the Windows version yet.

But....and a BIG BUT at that...there is no indication what heavy users are going to do with their .RW files which are the settings for the images they have tweaked in Raw Shooter. As the silence is deafening (both from the originators of Raw Shooter and Adobe) these people just don't know how they will be able to save and reapply any corrections if the .RW files are not supported by Adobe and Lightroom. That's a LOT of reworking to have to face...and I'd guess that some of the settings won't be obvious so there will be a loss in image quality if the users have to REdo all their corrections again!

Now it's just a matter of waiting to hear from somebody...ANYBODY involved in this acquistion as to the future of Raw Shooter owners AND their image files.

Luckily I've not done much correction but still it bothers me that I'll probably have to move over to Lightroom AND pay a higher price than I needed to...because I already PAID for Raw Shooter.

Yup! Shyte Happens...and today was my day to get it in the face.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Comments: 0
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 72.38.226.220

Ugh. This bites. I LOATHE Adobe Camera RAW and you know Adobe is going to bastardize RawShooter Essentials somewhere along the way. What ever was Michael Tapes thinking when he agreed to a buyout (other than Adobe $$$)?!

Ray A. Akey
My PBase Galleries (nudity warning)
My Flickr (nudity)
My Commercial Website (work-safe)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal

Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.226

I just hope that they don't decide to put the 'A' for Adobe in front of RSE

Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35789
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeV

MikeV is offline IP: 71.34.246.159

I can see it coming already. I paid for the pro version. When I upgrade from my 20D Adobe will offer no upgrade for RawShooter for the new body. Will be forced to buy the Adobe product at three times the cost. Not to mention having to use a bloatware program with a ton of features that you don't need to get the job done.
-----------------------
Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MikeV Visit MikeV's homepage! Find More Posts by MikeV

Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 72.38.226.220

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozanostra
I just hope that they don't decide to put the 'A' for Adobe in front of RSE
Note to self: Never read anything written by cozanostra while drinking Pepsi.

Excuse me while I go and clean myself up..

Ray A. Akey
My PBase Galleries (nudity warning)
My Flickr (nudity)
My Commercial Website (work-safe)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal