Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Help with posting images to G1
Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.227.188

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK, I'm trying to not just be a lurker and actually post some images here on G1. I can get them uploaded and posted, etc. but my problem is that they are just not as "clean" as when I view them off of G1. I must be doing something wrong because I see some great images by many here where they look crystal clear, sharp or however you care to describe it.

I'm not finding any guidelines for posting such as image size or correct process so here's what I'm doing.

Once the image is tweaked in PS I am doing a "save for web" copy sized to 900 X 600. Now the copy isn't as perfect as the larger files but it is very good. But, when uploaded to G1, it looks like crap. Just nowhere near as sharp. I've seen other images with the same problem and then I see crisp images from the likes of BobbyG, JimmyD,Correy, etc that are just great.

Somebody please give me a hand here, what's your process? Here's an image that is very crisp before uploading as an example.

Cheers,
LSC

View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Re: Help with posting images to G1
Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49861
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to Actionlens

Actionlens is offline IP: 196.46.66.253

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Read somewhere that it should not exceed 600 pixels on the longest side otherwise it will compress

Hope it helps
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Actionlens Visit Actionlens's homepage! Find More Posts by Actionlens

Old 06-16-2006, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48366

eoym is offline IP: 66.41.45.55

Yeah, I think you should try uploading images that are sized at 600 on the long side.
The image you posted is way overcompressed.
Dean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks guys, I'll try that and see if that makes a difference. I appreciate the suggestions. EOYM - is the pic you posted in the reply only 600 on the long side?

Cheers,
LSC

Old 06-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.96.185

I really suggest you get yourself over to FredMiranda.Com and pick up his WPPro (Web Presenter Pro) plugin. It only costs about $20 or so and it's worth every penny.

Using it you can downsize your image to anything, AND apply slight sharpening at the same time. Makes that part of the job real easy.

Another CRUCIAL element is in how you use Save For Web... First you must convert your image color profile to sRGB (that's assuming like most folks you're using AdobeRGB for your own editing). Then in Save for Web, you MUST tell it (one time, as it's a remembered setting) to embed the color space. Doing that involves two steps:

First of all, click on each image (most of us use the 2-up display with the original at the left and the output image at the right) and then using the small triangle "thingie" in the upper right, select the Use Document Profile (I'm writing this from memory and haven't looked at it in awhile, so the exact wording might be different, but you want the one that uses the document color). Do this for your original AND for the target. Second step is to select the checkbox in the right-hand dialog to use ICC profile.

Unless you do both those things, the color profile is not embedded in the resulting image and you have NO guarantee that the viewer will see the colors you expect them to see.

About sizing your image, you must learn what image sizes the web site supports. This could be specified in two different ways: First is actual pixel dimensions by pixel dimensions. For example some sites require that you limit the image to 600 pixels on the long side. The other way they might specify the size is to say the image must not exceed 100k (or some other value).

Model/Photographer portfolio hosting sites are all over the map with those sizes, and indeed the limits also vary for differing membership levels, with a free membership having the smallest limits. If you're trying to give your model (or yourself) the best possible quality you need to become familiar with what those limits are for the site you're targetting.

If you don't size the image properly and the site even accepts it (some simply reject the upload) then the site may automatically reduce the image to fit the size limits. This is the worst possible thing that can happen to your image as the resizing methods are nowhere near as good as what you could produce.

Having said all that, I try to find the best compromise between size of the image and what the MAJORITY of viewers can see without having to scroll around, and I also try not to use images large enough to make it easier for someone to rip off and print a decent size version for themselves. So the limits I usually use are 700 pixels wide for a landscape orientation image or 600 pixels high for a portrait image. For me that's the best compromise.

Hope this helps...

Eldor

View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

eoym is offline IP: 66.41.45.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1
Thanks guys, I'll try that and see if that makes a difference. I appreciate the suggestions. EOYM - is the pic you posted in the reply only 600 on the long side?

Cheers,
LSC
Yep, that photo is 600x400....I almost always use that size for web display.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eoym Visit eoym's homepage! Find More Posts by eoym

Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

EOYM and Eldor,

Really appreciate the detailed explanations of how to do this. Using your suggestions, I was able to dramatically improve the uploaded images. But, alas they are not as good as the resolution of both the images you posted. And by the way, great images and a nice side benefit of getting your help, thanks.

Here's another image that's incorporated your suggestions. I'll keep working to see how close I get get to the original but I'm running out of things to try quickly.

Thanks again,
LSC

Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.177.33

LSC, that shot looks better. You're getting there! I see that you've properly assigned sRGB and the size looks fine also. The only question I have is how you downsized the image. As you downsize you really should be applying a bit of sharpening as you go, and Fred Miranda's WPPro plugin does it all for you automatically.

When I create an image for the web, I NEVER exceed 140k for an image. With the sizes I use (700 px wide for landscape or 600 high for portrait images) I've found that if I use "optimize for file size" in the Save for Web dialog, I usually get a file that's between 75 and 100% quality. And that's fine for me. I note that your image is the same pixel size as my images, but it's still double the filesize. SHRUG

Anyway, one more wee tip I'll share with you...

Particularly on an image such as you just posted, (but on all images really) a very nice touch before saving for web is to select the entire image and then Edit|Stroke and apply a 1px black outline stroke to it. That sets it off real nicely especially with a lighter image on a light web background.

Cheers!

Eldor

View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks Eldor, I'll check out WPPro from FM.

The 2X larger filesize is curious. I am not using the optimize setting but rather the 100%jpeg quality becuase G1's file size guideline's say unlimited for paid members which leads me to believe that the files are not getting resized smaller during the upload. BUT, that's a big assumption since there's really not that much in the way of guidelines here to tell me for sure.

Are there specific PS CS settings when resizing an image (downsizing for web) that produce better results? I realize you're using the WPPro but there seem to be some choices to be made when downsampling and that may be affecting the quality.

Cheers,
LSC

Old 06-20-2006, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

eoym is offline IP: 67.190.241.155

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1
EOYM and Eldor,
Really appreciate the detailed explanations of how to do this. Using your suggestions, I was able to dramatically improve the uploaded images. But, alas they are not as good as the resolution of both the images you posted. And by the way, great images and a nice side benefit of getting your help, thanks.
Here's another image that's incorporated your suggestions. I'll keep working to see how close I get get to the original but I'm running out of things to try quickly.
Thanks again,
LSC
Hey no problem.
I see the properties of the last photo you posted (above) is almost 300 kb. That's pretty large for an image that's 600x400.
I read in one of your posts that you are using a setting of "12" when saving an .jpg in PS. I think an 8 or 9 would give just as good a result and a much smaller filesize.
Maybe take Eldor's advice and use "save for web" feature in PS or ImageReady.
Personally, I find that a little cumbersome though. I use AcDSee for converting files to jpg. It's much easier and faster. With some experimenting you can get pretty good results.
The image below is 600x400 @ about 86kb and still looks pretty good.
From the shoot I did yesterday with model Song;