Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Fong system
Old 06-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38178
Comments: 0

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.20.143.31

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just got Gary Fong's Lightsphere in the mail today.

This thing ROCKS!!!!!

You no longer need a flash bracket to stop red eye......

Here is my first test with the lightsphere.....
The first shot is without the light modifier the second is with the modifier.

Again the first shot is without the light modifier the second is with the modifier.

I think it works great...
Here is the link to his website.
Gary Fong lightsphere

Re: Fong system
Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.216.116

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think they look great! I have one too, and it's hard to believe you can get shots like that from an on-camera flash. But let me ask you, how do you go about metering with it on? Does it throw off exposure at all?

Cool stuff,

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley
I think they look great! I have one too, and it's hard to believe you can get shots like that from an on-camera flash. But let me ask you, how do you go about metering with it on? Does it throw off exposure at all?
Cool stuff,
Sam
You really don't need to meter. You just put this on your automatic flash and the camera/flash figures the proper exposure.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57390

kennymc is offline IP: 81.104.158.205

Another vote for the Lightsphere...
Conon 5D... Ef 50mm f/1.4... 1/100 @ f/2.8... ISO400... 550EX in ETTL mode... Bounced of the ceiling...

Judge for yourself... or

Old 02-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

You can get almost identical effects with the Better Bounce Card which you can make your self:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

But you'll have to watch the guy's video to see how he makes them and it is a rather "dumb" video (too long, too much talking and asides, etc) but it does show how to make one. Don't bother with buying his rubber bands as you can get bands that will work at any office supply and you can get the foam like paper at most arts and crafts store.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46884
Send a message via ICQ to Trekkie Send a message via AIM to Trekkie Send a message via MSN to Trekkie Send a message via Yahoo to Trekkie Send a message via Skype™ to Trekkie

Trekkie is offline IP: 71.50.161.128

I'm by no means an expert but one thing I noticed with this on my 550EX on top of a 5D that is if the ceiling gets too high racoon shadows start forming. I've been debating picking up that chrome insert to see if that addresses it or stuffing some aluminum foil in it.

Overall though I'm happy with it, though most times when you talk about it someone will either call it tupperware and overpriced or point out some other DIY ideas that are less expensive.

But for the lazy it's not a bad deal, works fairly well.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Trekkie Visit Trekkie's homepage! Find More Posts by Trekkie

Old 02-19-2007, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.203.225.107

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
You can get almost identical effects with the Better Bounce Card which you can make your self:

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

But you'll have to watch the guy's video to see how he makes them and it is a rather "dumb" video (too long, too much talking and asides, etc) but it does show how to make one. Don't bother with buying his rubber bands as you can get bands that will work at any office supply and you can get the foam like paper at most arts and crafts store.

Cheers,
rfs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
I'm by no means an expert but one thing I noticed with this on my 550EX on top of a 5D that is if the ceiling gets too high racoon shadows start forming. I've been debating picking up that chrome insert to see if that addresses it or stuffing some aluminum foil in it.

Overall though I'm happy with it, though most times when you talk about it someone will either call it tupperware and overpriced or point out some other DIY ideas that are less expensive.

But for the lazy it's not a bad deal, works fairly well.

I am sure we can get good or great results from a homemade device, though when I am charging a customer $2500.00 - $4000.00 to shoot their wedding or other event, I would rather have something that looks a bit more professional. Rather than something that gives a perception that I am not a professional.

I do also insert a piece of aluminum foil to help direct the light and it seems to work well rather than buying the chrome insert.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57390

kennymc is offline IP: 81.104.158.205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
I'm by no means an expert but one thing I noticed with this on my 550EX on top of a 5D that is if the ceiling gets too high racoon shadows start forming.
Have you tried it with the wide angle panel of the 550EX in place?...

Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_C View Post
I am sure we can get good or great results from a homemade device, though when I am charging a customer $2500.00 - $4000.00 to shoot their wedding or other event, I would rather have something that looks a bit more professional. Rather than something that gives a perception that I am not a professional.

I do also insert a piece of aluminum foil to help direct the light and it seems to work well rather than buying the chrome insert.
I've had people at events ask me why a photographer who's using the Fong thing is using a Tupperware bowl on his flash. It does not look like a professional piece of equipment. So if we are going to consider whether something looks professional, then we will often eliminate lots of legitimate equipment.

I've shot hundreds of wedding and events over the years and I've often used just a white card rubber banded to my flash. I've never been questioned about its professional nature. In fact, just the opposite. People seem to thing that gizmos like this are the mark of the professional because they know what needs to be done to get the great photo. I also use gaffer's tape to secure items and to cover the lighting cables that run across the floor. They often ask about the little white card and I just tell them its a "old pro trick" for getting better flash results. That impresses them even more.

cheers,
rfs

Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.203.225.107

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I've had people at events ask me why a photographer who's using the Fong thing is using a Tupperware bowl on his flash. It does not look like a professional piece of equipment. So if we are going to consider whether something looks professional, then we will often eliminate lots of legitimate equipment.

I've shot hundreds of wedding and events over the years and I've often used just a white card rubber banded to my flash. I've never been questioned about its professional nature. In fact, just the opposite. People seem to thing that gizmos like this are the mark of the professional because they know what needs to be done to get the great photo. I also use gaffer's tape to secure items and to cover the lighting cables that run across the floor. They often ask about the little white card and I just tell them its a "old pro trick" for getting better flash results. That impresses them even more.

cheers,
rfs
Well here I have gone and opened a can of worms that I should have known better than to open.

Mr. Smith, please for give me for starting something I have no intention of debating.

Have a great day.