Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
D200 Internal Image Processing
Old 05-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.235.17.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Gang,

I had a photo shoot last weekend and I used my new D200 for the first time. I used strobe lights and nothing but a white muslin. When I got the photos back, the skin tones were orange and everyone looked like an Oompah Loompah. Has anyone else had this issue? I could understand it if I was shooting outdoors and there was a color cast from something orange but not when using a white muslin and strobes.

Good day!

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: D200 Internal Image Processing
Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.80.82.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What does it mean, "When I got the photos back..."?

It sounds like you didn't process the images yourself.

Setting color balance and adjusting the images is something that's usually done as routine... it sounds like neither was done.

What was the color balance set to on your camera? Were you shooting in RAW (NEF on the Nikon) mode?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 05-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.235.17.70

Hi Eldor,

Sorry for the crytic explanation. I'm fighting off a wicked head cold and am under the influence of Nyquil. Here is the sequence of events.

1. Set up one strobe (600 watt/sec) shot through white umbrella.
2. Set up one large, white muslin.
3. Placed model (5-year old girl for pageant photos) on muslin.
4. Shot many photos.
5. Downloaded photos to laptop in hotel room and they looked very, very orange. I adjusted the color as best I could on the LCD screen but they still looked like hell.
6. On the off-chance that it was an LCD issue, I emailed the photo to Walmart to have an 8x10 print made for the girl's mom. Now, before you hire a hitman because I used Walmart, she needed it immediately and it was the only lab nearby. I was out of town for the shoot and didn't have any other choice. The shots were for a beauty pageant.
7. That being said, the print from Wally World sucked too. I then went out to my Explorer, fired up my laptop and edited the photo yet some more to try and get the orange out. I then tried again. Still orange but not as bad. She wasn't able to use the photo for the "photogenic" competition but she did win "best portfolio" with it. It was just too orange for the headshot competition.
8. They were shot in .JPG (accidently because I always shoot RAW).

I hope that helps a bit. I should have posted more information in the initial post and I apologize for that.

You can be sure that next time I will be double-checking the mode to make sure I'm shooting raw.

Good day!

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 05-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661

eldor is offline IP: 70.80.82.128

Mike,

Hope you get over that cold quickly... summer colds are never any fun.

Anyway, there are still too many variables there for us to diagnose what went wrong, but at least you know you're better off shooting in raw mode than JPG, particularly if you have to adjust color balance later.

By the sounds of it ("...on the off-chance that it was an LCD issue...") your monitor isn't calibrated. The first requirement is to have a calibrated monitor. If you don't have, then how could you possibly make proper color balance corrections to your image? And how could you possibly expect anyone else (even Walmart) to print the images with proper color?

Ok, calibrate the monitor. Shoot RAW.

You still didn't answer how you had the camera's color balance set. With my Canon gear I tend to avoid auto WB and instead usually use a custom WB. I know exactly how I need to set my camera for my lights and I have very little adjusting to do in post-processing.

Another thing you might consider for the future would be to include a shot of something like a grey card with every different light source. When I'm not sure what I'm dealing with, I shoot a WhiBal card (that's black, grey and white) and that makes it really easy to correct the color balance in processing. And with raw images this can be done without loss of quality.

I guess all I can really say here is, "Better luck next time!".

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 05-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 71.15.100.187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujrnr
Hi Eldor,

Sorry for the crytic explanation. I'm fighting off a wicked head cold and am under the influence of Nyquil. Here is the sequence of events.

1. Set up one strobe (600 watt/sec) shot through white umbrella.
2. Set up one large, white muslin.
3. Placed model (5-year old girl for pageant photos) on muslin.
4. Shot many photos.
5. Downloaded photos to laptop in hotel room and they looked very, very orange. I adjusted the color as best I could on the LCD screen but they still looked like hell.
6. On the off-chance that it was an LCD issue, I emailed the photo to Walmart to have an 8x10 print made for the girl's mom. Now, before you hire a hitman because I used Walmart, she needed it immediately and it was the only lab nearby. I was out of town for the shoot and didn't have any other choice. The shots were for a beauty pageant.
7. That being said, the print from Wally World sucked too. I then went out to my Explorer, fired up my laptop and edited the photo yet some more to try and get the orange out. I then tried again. Still orange but not as bad. She wasn't able to use the photo for the "photogenic" competition but she did win "best portfolio" with it. It was just too orange for the headshot competition.
8. They were shot in .JPG (accidently because I always shoot RAW).
What are you using to adjust the color? View? Capture? Photoshop?

Can you find something white to do a color correction on and go from there?

Mike, I hope you really didn't mean that you shot the D200 for the first time on something as important as this - surely you fired off some test shots just to see if the thing worked, yes? If so, did they have a color cast to them as well?

Old 05-29-2006, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Sounds like a white balance / colour temperature issue. I'd guess that the camera was set to a colour temperature considerably higher than the light (say 1000K, or more, too high).

Given that you already discovered you were shooting JPEG rather than raw, might you have been shooting with the white balance set to, perhaps, "cloudy day" or perhaps 7000-9000K?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52476

sculptor is offline IP: 68.164.155.9

Please look in the EXIF data tell us what you had your WB set to? I'm guessing
it was set to something way hotter than your flash. By the way I'm a D200
user and I'd like to see if we can figure this one out.

-- Gary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sculptor Visit sculptor's homepage! Find More Posts by sculptor

Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 68.229.59.134

Check the laptop settings for colour if you are using a Win based system. I have seen that issue when the colour space is set for sRGB and the software is converting to RGB. You will get an orange cast. I have also seen an orange cast when the lighting was too dark and I try to compensate in Capture1. Taking the saturation down helps once all other settings are in balance thao.

The other question I would have is how did you sync the strobe to the D200. I've have some interesting issues with my Pocket Wizards and direct cable sync cords. None with colour issues tho.

Old 06-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.131.44.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soujrnr
Hi Gang,
I had a photo shoot last weekend and I used my new D200 for the first time. I used strobe lights and nothing but a white muslin. When I got the photos back, the skin tones were orange and everyone looked like an Oompah Loompah. Has anyone else had this issue? I could understand it if I was shooting outdoors and there was a color cast from something orange but not when using a white muslin and strobes.
Good day!
Mike
why dont you just post one of the pictures??
that would help a ton,
If you cannot post the whole thing because of age reasons the maybe just part of it.
It does however sound like white balance issues(set on cloudy)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski