Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Head shots help needed
Old 05-24-2006, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a model that is very new . She wants me to get some good head shots of her. I have not done very many head shots that I have been happy with. I don't want to let her down. What makes a great head shot ? I can shoot inside or outside. She is getting a MUA for this so her makeup will be better.

View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Head shots help needed
Old 05-24-2006, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 68.238.157.247

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There are many masters of the headshot...
One of them is a frequent contributor here...

JT, Take a bow. http://www.supershoots.com/gallery_beauty.cfm

I also like Kevyn Major Howard http://www.headshot-photography.com/
and Mark Robert Halper http://studiomark.com/headshots-women.html

Perhaps I should start using initials or my middle name... Nah.. I'm just not that good; Yet
http://www.polodigital.net/gallery/headshots/

Start with great light, a medium telephoto lens (85-200mm), and then add some magic...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 05-24-2006, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

what is the purpose for the headshots? theatrical? commercial? beauty? other? what they're going to be used for dictates the style in which they should be shot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 05-25-2006, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo
I have a model that is very new . She wants me to get some good head shots of her. I have not done very many head shots that I have been happy with. I don't want to let her down. What makes a great head shot ? I can shoot inside or outside. She is getting a MUA for this so her makeup will be better.
First of all I agree with Jimmy here in the fact that we need to determine if they are beauty head shots, or actor/theatre, etc.

On any head shot it is important to understand the strength and weakness of facial analysis.

Symetrics play a huge role and then what to do with the masculine side and feminine side.

Can the model smile without deforming her face. Does she scowl when serious, etc.

Emotion! No matter what some form of attractive emotion has to come out.

Eyes, probably the number one thing for captivating good head shots is the eyes.

Hair needs to be attended too at all times. Make sure the model does not have roots, flyaways and that the body of hair is uniformed and not messy.

Lips need to be attended to for symetrics and tonality.

Eyebrows plucked and lashes groomed.

Those are some quick notes I have.....

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I think she wants beauty shots. She is going to put the best one we shoot in her port. She wants to do more modeling and she told me she does not have any head shots and people ask for one when she looks for work.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Quote:
I think she wants beauty shots. She is going to put the best one we shoot in her port. She wants to do more modeling and she told me she does not have any head shots and people ask for one when she looks for work.

Mike
She needs a commercial head shot then. Clean make up and one that has very minor retouching as not to change the appearance of her. Usually flat lighting.

One could run the gamma at that point......

Shoot a commercial head shot with a small cute serious expression, then smile, then laugh.
Then give her beauty head shots with more make up and serious approach. Soft to more attitude.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 05-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith
She needs a commercial head shot then. Clean make up and one that has very minor retouching as not to change the appearance of her. Usually flat lighting.

One could run the gamma at that point......

Shoot a commercial head shot with a small cute serious expression, then smile, then laugh.
Then give her beauty head shots with more make up and serious approach. Soft to more attitude.

J T

Sounds like a plan.. Should they be studio shots or outdoor shots ?

Mike

Old 05-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
J T Smith

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.. Should they be studio shots or outdoor shots ?

Mike
What's wrong with both? I would do both.

J T

Old 05-26-2006, 05:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39524
Send a message via AIM to kalieaire Send a message via MSN to kalieaire Send a message via Yahoo to kalieaire Send a message via Skype™ to kalieaire

kalieaire is offline IP: 67.127.53.230

Looks like she looks fine as it is with smiling, good emotion, she didn't turn her face into gumby, just make sure when you take her headshot, you shoot her head and not her body.

Fill up the entire viewfinder with her head.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kalieaire Find More Posts by kalieaire

Old 06-10-2006, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 70.190.161.6

I have my own question I would like to add to this thread.

I am shooting with a Canon EOS 10D and my primary portrait lenses is the Canon USM 28 - 105 F3.5 - 4.5 (it's all I can afford for now so give me a break guys )

I have found from experience that when I shoot at full res mode (6 megapixels) I have to frame my model so I get from the lower portion of her breasts to just a little above the top of her head. When I crop the image to 8 x 10" in Photoshop I get a "classic" headshot which shows the model's head from her collar bones to the top of her head.

Am I right in my thinking here? Can anyone else share their methodologies with me for getting headshots. This is what I have learned from a lot of trial and error but I am certainly open to other options.

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1