Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
30D RAW Plugin for PS7?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran

Member GG#: 46477
Comments: 0

atlantashooter is offline IP: 216.199.73.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Anybody know if an Adobe Camera RAW plugin is available for Photoshop 7?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Re: 30D RAW Plugin for PS7?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 151.203.232.237

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I tried to get it some time ago and it was not available. At that time, they were selling it for $99 (I think). When Adobe brought out CS, the cost of the upgrade from '7' was about the same as the plugin.

I strongly suggest you go with CS2. The Adobe Bridge makes working with RAW a whole new world.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 05-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43942

Stupid is offline IP: 65.213.169.197

I had the same problem, apparently Canon used a different identifier in the RAW file and the current RAW converter thinks the RAW file is corrupt.

I googled this issue and found someone had posted a photoshop script which modifies the RAW plugin, it worked great for me.

Try googling "Camera Raw Unofficial Canon 30D.8bi" (use the quotes) and if you don't have any luck, eMail me and I'll be happy to send you back the patched plugin I'm using.

Hope this helps...
  View Public Profile Visit Stupid's homepage! Find More Posts by Stupid

Old 05-13-2006, 03:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

This is perhaps the one major Bug up my Arse that I have. I can certainly understand the rationale that software companies give for getting people to upgrade (more, better[?] features, the need to pay employees and management, etc.] but in the real world not everyone needs or wants to upgrade to CS2 from 7 (or, in my case, upgrade from ACAD 2000 to 2007). So in order to make the migration happen you drop support for the older programs/technology.

You might have luck with the 'tweaked fix' for the 30D but eventually you'll *have* to upgrade...unless you stay at the level of technology that you currently are at.

A photographer I know does some amazing photos with film and a Pentax K1000. He's old school and not at all interested in moving to digital. So as long as he can get film/paper/chemicals and can keep his Pentax in good working order then he's happy.

Old 05-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Stupid is offline IP: 70.34.179.172

I think you misunderstood, this is not a photoshop problem, it's Canon who made a subtle change to the RAW format file the camera writes and as a resut, Photoshop can't read the file.

Not to defend Adobe or corporate America in general, but in this case Adobe has done a good job of making RAW converter plugin upgrades availble at no charge (in my experience anyway), I imagine it's gotta be tough to keep updating your product everytime a new camera is released.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Actually it is an Adobe problem...they are the ones reverse engineering the Canon RAW format. Canon, as far as I know, did not give the coding or algorithims to Adobe (or anyone else for that matter) to 'mess about with'. There is no sharing of the RAW with Canon, Nikon or any other manufacturer. All these software companies making RAW converters are working from their understanding of the RAW format the camera manufacturers are producing.

The comments I was making is not particular to any one software company (as I pointed out with my example of AutoCAD, which I use day in/day out) or hardware company. There is a growing problem of landfills having to deal with old computer components that would, if reworked, do many basic and useful tasks but the existing software does not work on them. So we just junk them.

I, myself, ran into a similar problem with a very good working flatbed scanner that was not USB connected...it was a Parallel ported. I had not really given it a full workout but in the upgrade to XP from '98 the manufacturer decided to drop the scanner as the technology was just not 'up to par' to handle the new O/S. So I ended up buying a new scanner just to be able to keep that capability in my setup. Needless to say I was PO'd. I ended up giving that scanner to my nieces who were still running '98. I don't know if they've upgraded yet or not but when they do the scanner will probably go to the landfill also.

Let's face it, we live in a 'throw away' computer society. It's cheaper to buy a new keyboard than to take the old one to a tech to clean/fix (sticky keys). I've got this great collection of hardware happening now. And of course the schools who would in the past take the old computer hardware don't want it any more...there are no old software around any more and the software companies are not recoding the newer programs to run on the older equipment.

If Atlantashooter manages to find a 'tweak' to get his PS7 (old tech) to work with the 30D (new tech) all the more power to him. But, like others have said, he'd be better off on finding something else (he should check out RawShooter) or upgrading to CS2.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.204.20

One way to get around all of these problems is to download the free DNG program from Adobe. This converts the RAW camera images into the open format DNG format that is read by the PS7 RAW converter. This program is updated for all of the current formats.

As to the battle of the camera formats until they agree to one format this will be a problem but it is not in the color image but in the Metadata formats. Each camera manufacturer wants you to use only their software for RAW conversions because they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on software programmers and feel that they have to get their money back. Even if it doesn't work as well as other third party programs like Photoshop and Capture One they need to protect their investments. Otherwise a number of middle mangers would be let go.

Old 05-14-2006, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Stupid is offline IP: 70.34.179.172

Geez...

I am running Photoshop CS2 and it doesn't recognize the new .cr2 RAW format without the patch I mentioned. I hope this is helpful to someone, nuff' said.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid
Geez...
I am running Photoshop CS2 and it doesn't recognize the new .cr2 RAW format without the patch I mentioned. I hope this is helpful to someone, nuff' said.
You can download a new version of the Camera RAW plugin for CS2. It includes support for the 30D (it's listed explicitly).

FWIW
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic