Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Shooting RAW *and* JPG.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I did a search for any threads that dealt with shooting JPGs as well as RAWs...no luck. Odd, I thought someone would have posed this already.

Anyway, I know that I can always take a RAW image and make it into a JPG but I was curious to see how many members shoot both. I've read many who say that it takes up space on a card...I find that the memory loss is minimal. However what I do like about doing this is the immediacy of producing proofs to send to the model.

So do you shoot RAW only or both formats?

Richard

Re: Shooting RAW *and* JPG.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232
Comments: 0

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.227.216

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well I have been shooting Raw and JPEG thinking along the same lines as you. However, I just did a TFP lingerie shoot for a new model, and I forgot to alter the White Balance in the first 30 or so shots (ooooops! )
I had to adjust the White Balance in the Raw files and convert to JPEG using Photoshop CS2. I found this was so simple to do as a batch in Bridge that I no longer see any need for shooting both Raw and JPEG.
In future I will shoot only Raw, unless somebody can identify a good reason for doing otherwise.
The only reason I can see for shooting both would possibly be on location, if I maybe didn't have access to a system that could display the Raw files.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35558
Send a message via Yahoo to johne

johne is offline IP: 207.137.21.111

I shoot RAW + JPEG. Yep, it does take up more space, but for the most part, I shoot tethered to an iMac G5 and there plenty of disk space on that. :-)

I use the jpegs to quickly review the mages after the shoot and to also quickly reduce the size and post for the models to view online and to make her choice(s.) The later is usually by special request only.

Once I choose the images that I want to process (from among the jpegs), I move to the Raw images and do all of my post product work on those.

Best regards,
John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johne Visit johne's homepage! Find More Posts by johne

Old 05-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 24.203.105.105

Well, I'm one of those who shoots ONLY in RAW. I haven't shot a JPG in years now. I just don't see the need.

I review my images after the shoot using BreezeBrowser (which handles the RAW files just fine) and tag those I'll be processing. I then convert to 16-bit TIFF using Capture One Pro and do my final editing in PS CS2.

The conversion process is very simply using C1 and most of it is fully automated for me. If I need JPG proofs then I've got batch routines to do it for me - unattended.

Unlike JohnE, I don't shoot tethered, and memory cards can fill up very quickly. I don't want to waste any space on JPG files. I shoot RAW only even for sports shots so it's not just a model/glamour thing for me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 05-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.204.20

I have had these discussions on other forums and I ask the same question.

Why do you need a jpg of an RAW image? If you have CS 2 you can bring up all the images in Bridge in just a couple of minutes at most. Then once you review the images, edit out the duds, did some quick corrections, and arrange them in any order you want, SAVE JPEGS IN THE BACKGROUND AND KEEP WORKING. By going to Tools/Photoshop/Image Processor you can save any number of the RAW images as jpegs in the native colorspace or sRGB in a separate folder for proofs, web viewing, or even a contact sheet.

Now you don't have to double up your workflow by reviewing and editing jpegs and RAW files plus if you go to Russell Brown's web site you can download his new free scripts for multi jpeg building and even his neat processes for color corrections.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

This is an age old question that will certainly go on for years. But just for kicks, I submit to you that the only reason to shoot a RAW file is that you can't be certain that you'll exposed the image properly and want the ability to mess with the white balance & exposure later.

I do occasionally shoot RAW, when I can't be sure that I'm getting the right exposure, and can't afford to miss the shot. But I shoot primarily in JPG because the work flow is simpler, and when the images are properly exposed there is no loss in image quality.

I shoot motor sports, and there's no way I could deal with RAW images. I'll shoot 2-3 Gigs of JPGs; RAW files would be out of control. Plus, I need to shoot FAST and writing a 9 MB RAW file takes 4.5x longer to write than a 2 MB JPG. I need to keep the image buffer clear so I don't miss a shot.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.204.20

I am in full agreement that there are times with Jpeg is the better format but what I am talking about here are those who shoot RAW and Jpg at the same time as a function of the camera.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43942

Stupid is offline IP: 65.213.169.197

I shoot RAW with JPG because my system won't thumbnail the RAW files and having the JPG just let's me sort faster. Even if it did, the system thumbnails a JPG way faster (in theory) then the RAW (based on file size, the jpg is always much smaller).

For what it's worth, I'm shooting with a Canon 30d which let's me set the size/quality of the 'sidecar' JPG to reduce the wasted space. I also use big CF chips and typically get about 150+ per chip (both RAW and JPG), and there just doesn't seem to be any additional lag (this camera is DAMN fast).

Bottom line, can't see a downside so why not?
  View Public Profile Visit Stupid's homepage! Find More Posts by Stupid

Old 05-12-2006, 02:38 PM
NavajoCoast
This message has been deleted by NavajoCoast.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 24.203.105.105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGPhoto
But I shoot primarily in JPG because the work flow is simpler, and when the images are properly exposed there is no loss in image quality.
I agree that JPG has a place in a working pro's life, but disagree with your above statement. I would suggest that the loss of quality is an acceptable one in some circumstances.

But to say that there is "no loss in image quality" with a JPG file is simply impossible. The very nature of the beast (lossy compression scheme) guarantees that some info is lost. Whether or not that is noticeable in your application and whether the extra processing steps with RAW are worthwhile or not, is the big debate.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 05-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.226

Just a quick question. If you're going to make sure that you photo is properly exposed, then why are you letting yourself down in terms of quality when it comes down to the final print?

A RAW files advantage not only lies in being able to correct exposure in post but in the fact that it is able to to hold a lot more detail in a lossless format (8 bit jpg vs 16 bit RAW/TIFF). Converting an 8 bit jpg to a 16 bit TIFF might save a photo from degrading when multiple edits have to be performed but it is not going to bring back the detail that has already been lost during capture.