Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hot spots!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.58.187.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I started shooting a new model today. She is a fitness model. I have never shot a model like this. I want to do a good job.
The problem I am running in to is hot spots on her face and various places on her body. She covers her body with oil. She looks very sexy but it gives my camera fits.
how can I overcome these hot spots?

Re: Hot spots!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The hot spots are caused by specular reflectance - the oil is causing her skin to reflect light like a mirror rather than its more typical behavior, diffuse reflectance. If you want to eliminate the hot spots, you need to control the light striking her. A more diffused source will give less specular reflectance. OTOH, you might want to simply be more careful in your framing and composition, b/c those hot spots emphasize her muscular definition as well as being characteristic of oiled skin. If you've got enough gear and patience, you can use flags and skims to achieve highlights where you want them and none on her face.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390
Comments: 0

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Specular highlights on her body is not necessarily a bad thing with body builders. Sometimes it can accent their tone.

Sweat or oil on face with directional lighting is going to reflect the specularity where you don't want it right back into your lens. You can angle lights to minimize or accent specularity.

Perhaps oil her body but apply a nice foundation, make up and powder will cut down the hot spots on her face and forehead and yet her body will still shine with the oil and look ok.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 198.253.31.241

Frank,

I have to agree with JT. I use oil on the body but not on the face. For the face powder periodically to keep the highlights down.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 04-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723
Comments: 0

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Hello Frank,

I have to agree about keeping the face free of oil. That will only cause you trouble. The rest of the body will be fine.

Now for some advice that was not requested, I would suggest adding a kicker light or two to this image to add some dimension to the image as a whole and add some definition to her body.

How are you currently handling the lighting?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Old 04-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro
I started shooting a new model today. She is a fitness model. I have never shot a model like this. I want to do a good job.
The problem I am running in to is hot spots on her face and various places on her body. She covers her body with oil. She looks very sexy but it gives my camera fits.
how can I overcome these hot spots?
In addition to the ideas about lighting of the subject, you can also rememdy any photos that are good, but have a few specular problems, by using one of several techniques in Photoshop. One method that I often use involves one of two approaches. If shooting RAW, I do two conversions, one for good overall skin tones and let the speculars blow out and a second where I convert to make the speculars as good as I can in the RAW converter, and let the rest of the photo go bad. Now I combine the two images in Photoshop by dragging the one with the good speculars over the over while holding down the Shift key (for perfect alignment. Now add a layer mask while holding down the ALT key which gives you a layer mask that is all black so you'll see the well exposed overall image. Now use a white brush to paint the specular areas. Start at 25% opacity for a soft brush and gradually build up the specular areas to where you want them.
I would have posted an example, but the ones that I had at hand were nudes, and I'm not sure we can post nudes in this forum anymore.
Note: for futher refinement you can play with the blending modes of the top layer.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
In addition to the ideas about lighting of the subject, you can also rememdy any photos that are good, but have a few specular problems, by using one of several techniques in Photoshop. One method that I often use involves one of two approaches. If shooting RAW, I do two conversions, one for good overall skin tones and let the speculars blow out and a second where I convert to make the speculars as good as I can in the RAW converter, and let the rest of the photo go bad. Now I combine the two images in Photoshop by dragging the one with the good speculars over the over while holding down the Shift key (for perfect alignment. Now add a layer mask while holding down the ALT key which gives you a layer mask that is all black so you'll see the well exposed overall image. Now use a white brush to paint the specular areas. Start at 25% opacity for a soft brush and gradually build up the specular areas to where you want them.
I would have posted an example, but the ones that I had at hand were nudes, and I'm not sure we can post nudes in this forum anymore.
Note: for futher refinement you can play with the blending modes of the top layer.
Cheers,
rfs
img]http://www.1charlestonmodels.com/kristianna/wFIT_1696.jpg[/img]

Guess I need to be snapped back to reality. Kristianna realized she needs to change her makeup for photoshoots.
After thinking about this problem ......and your post I realized post production is going to have to be the solution for this shoot. Next shoot we will have to fix problems as we shoot.
We didn't use camera raw in school, but we used multiple layers to fix problems.
What you are suggesting is not much different than usuing layers. I guess I knew what to do all along, but my brain has been stuck in react mode for the past 6 months. Time to wake up don't ya think?

Biog Tthanks!

Old 04-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Old 04-30-2006, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Whoah...full on flash here? Too harsh.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWeiner
Whoah...full on flash here? Too harsh.
Wow! incorrect observation on this one, sorry.
Her make up is highly reflective. She uses it in competitions. That is the problem.
Whoah!