Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Is there a portable device to dump images to ?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am looking for a device to copy my memory cards to while out on a shoot. Right now I use my laptop. Is there some kind of portable storage device that is around 25 gigs ? I am looking for something that I just have to plug in the card hit a button and let it copy the images.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Is there a portable device to dump images to ?
Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318
Comments: 0

JasonNJ is offline IP: 68.196.99.6

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Smart Disk FlashTrax XT or the Epson Picturemate, both good designs and with varying storage capacities for a price.

-JasonNJ

Old 04-22-2006, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38896

Jim1368 is offline IP: 70.145.165.189

Nikon makes a thing called a "Cool Walker" - you can take the images right off a CF card.

Nikon COOLWALKER MSV-01 Major Features

* Ample storage space. holds approximately 10,000 images* with a 30GB hard disk, the MSV-01 gives the user the freedom to store an impressively large number of images. It's also compatible with CompactFlash and Microdrive and can be combined with a CF adapter** to enable use of SD cards too.
* *Approximately 10,000 X 6-megapixel images can be stored in JPEG FINE.
* View-anywhere convenience. The 2.5-inch color TFT LCD allows images to be viewed anywhere with the clarity of 117,600 pixels. The MSV-01 also offers connectivity to TVs too, so shots can be viewed on a much grander scale. A remote control terminal is additionally included, which is particularly useful when viewing images on a TV screen.
* Peripheral performance. Direct printing without the need for a PC is made possible through support of PictBridge. The MSV-01 also offers further peripheral performance by acting as a card reader for a PC* and offering Hi-Speed USB 2.0 connectivity to PCs and CompactFlash compatibility - a media widely accepted at stores offering print services.
* Compact convenience. With dimensions of just 81 X 130 X 35mm (approx.) and a weight of approximately 350g, the MSV-01 is designed to be carried comfortably virtually anywhere, allowing images to be viewed whenever the user desires.
* Easy-to-view GUI and simple operation. With an easy-to-view GUI with an SLR-consistent design and an easy-to-understand Multi-Selector accompanied by two buttons, operation is both simple and user friendly.
* Comprehensive protection. The MSV-01 has easy to grip rubber sides and is equipped with an internal hard drive secured by shock absorbers.

I dont know this for sure - but I have been told that you can do practically the same thing with the IPOD photo with additional adaptors.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jim1368 Find More Posts by Jim1368

Old 04-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44240

akasluggo is offline IP: 68.11.94.51

I've been looking as well. I found two on amazon.com. One copies CF cards to a hard drive, its about 300. The second copies straight to CD. it is almost as much. Try this page:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/vosonic/vp-2160/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to akasluggo Visit akasluggo's homepage! Find More Posts by akasluggo

Old 04-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.167.91.245

For a year now I copy everything off CF cards into a CD using very portable device called EZ DigiMagic, it runs on four rechargablefour AA batteries. I have AC and 12v adapters so I can use it off my car battery. It cam with one adapter and I bought the other one separately. The same company, I believe out of ElPaso, TX lately upgraded to portable DVD portable burner for about $250 plus some accessoties if you want them. I am happy with this system because I can transfer images off the CDs into computer harddrive and keep the CDs as backup. Can't remember the name of the company, but I found them on google.com

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 04-22-2006, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 72.38.226.220

Most people will advocate some fancy high-priced gadget but all you need is a Digimate-II and a notebook hard drive.

Order the Digimate-II from USBGeeks.com for $40. ( http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0365 )

Then go to your local computer superstore and buy yourself a 2.5" notebook hard disk to install into the Digimate.

Installation is easy, the device is USB2.0 (*FAST* transfer) and you don't need drivers for Windows-XP. I've been using mine for a year and a half and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I just ordered another because my wife is a shooter too.

Ray A. Akey
My PBase Galleries (nudity warning)
My Flickr (nudity)
My Commercial Website (work-safe)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal

Old 04-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMetal
Most people will advocate some fancy high-priced gadget but all you need is a Digimate-II and a notebook hard drive.
Order the Digimate-II from USBGeeks.com for $40. ( http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0365 )
Then go to your local computer superstore and buy yourself a 2.5" notebook hard disk to install into the Digimate.
Installation is easy, the device is USB2.0 (*FAST* transfer) and you don't need drivers for Windows-XP. I've been using mine for a year and a half and haven't had a single problem. In fact, I just ordered another because my wife is a shooter too.
That seems to be the best deal so far. I should be able to put it all together for $150 if I buy everything online. Thanks....

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.238.216.182

I have the Epson P 2000...It is 40 gigs and is a viewer as well. Cool thing about it is it converts RAW images from most name brand cameras, so after you dump the images , you can view them right there. It accepts most types of memory cards including CF and CF microdrives. It also allows music uploads if your into that. I love it because I not only use it as a dumping device, but after I process a shoot, I can then transfer my WEB READY images back to the device, store them in albums and now I have a electronic portfolio to carry with me to show potential customers....I paid $400 about 3 months ago for mine...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 72.38.226.220

It is my pleasure, Mike. Have fun and be careful with those portable hard disks. They have been known to cause mild shutter finger strain (from the shooting you'll be doing and not caring about storage space.

Ray A. Akey
My PBase Galleries (nudity warning)
My Flickr (nudity)
My Commercial Website (work-safe)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal

Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 205.188.116.201

You can even D/l to an Ipod.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
wgiles
This message has been deleted by wgiles.