Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Something interesting happened to me...
Old 04-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48197
Comments: 4
My Mood:

BillD is offline IP: 64.136.26.226

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When I bought a new lens this past week. I went to the web sight of a local camera store and found a lens that I had been looking for, the price $909.00. The next day I called the store to find out if they had one in stock. They did, when I was told the price ($975.00). When I informed them that their own web sight had the price at $909.00 they agreed to sell it to me at that price.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I thought it was a little odd for then to have two different prices. I'm glad I checked their sight prior to going to their store for my lens.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BillD Find More Posts by BillD

Re: Something interesting happened to me...
Old 04-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sometimes stores have (way) outdated websites. I think they view this technology as a 'thing they have to do to keep current'...that is to say the Internet is today's newspaper insert. It's an expectation that all businesses will have some form of web presence and any that don't are passed over by the buying public. However that said, many probably only want to pay for the initial webdesign and publishing. Then they save money by not updating the info. Well that's all fine and good for businesses using the website as advertising but if they post a product with a price then it's easily overlooked...the need to keep it current.

That's probably what happened in your case. Because the 'in-store' price was higher than the website you'd query it. But if it happened that the price in-store was less you'd probably not have said anything, right?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
Comments: 0
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.200

This is not at all uncommon. If you purchase an item online the order is recieved and sent to the warehouse where they box it and send it out. No muss, no fuss, and most important they don't pay a salesperson. It is common practice to have different prices online for larger dealers in particular. You will also see "specials" online you would never see in a retail store to move out older gear. The internet enviornment is far more competitive and dealers try to grab your attention with lower prices. Most online sites are run as different divisions of a company with a whole different profit structure. As you learned it never hurts to ask for a better price over the counter, most dealers do not want to lose your business once you are in the store. They will work with you to try and make a deal.

SteveB

Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 70.226.83.246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
When I bought a new lens this past week. I went to the web sight of a local camera store and found a lens that I had been looking for, the price $909.00. The next day I called the store to find out if they had one in stock. They did, when I was told the price ($975.00). When I informed them that their own web sight had the price at $909.00 they agreed to sell it to me at that price.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I thought it was a little odd for then to have two different prices. I'm glad I checked their sight prior to going to their store for my lens.
I am guessing that you are talking about Norman's. I buy all my stuff there and I always check the site first. They will also match any camera stores pricing on the same item. But they are priced on the website as web sales so their is no commission or anything. That is why the cheaper price.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD

I buy a bit from Adorama and they explain this very well. The internet prices are for the people that know what they need and don't need a great deal of assistance. But if a GWC walks in and can't decide between a fish-eye and a macro zoom there is an investment of time and resources that needs to be accounted for.

I'm sure that if you walked into any store and said "saw it on the web, won't take any of your time" they would generally be happy to honor the price. But that is just a guess based upon solid business practices.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 70.238.114.196

Samy's makes a regular practice of this, their reasoning sounds right as well, when something is posted on a Website, it only takes a shipping guy to pull and ship it. Whereas, when you visit a Store front, you have a experienced person helping you and that difference partially pays their salary...

Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSStory
I am guessing that you are talking about Norman's. I buy all my stuff there and I always check the site first. They will also match any camera stores pricing on the same item. But they are priced on the website as web sales so their is no commission or anything. That is why the cheaper price.
You are correct sir! Since a friend of mine told me about them last year, I buy most of my stuff from them.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWeiner
That's probably what happened in your case. Because the 'in-store' price was higher than the website you'd query it. But if it happened that the price in-store was less you'd probably not have said anything, right?

I'd like to think I would have made a comment on the price difference.