Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
So how do you stop a model from...
Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.197.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Squinting while at the beach or a bright location, especially when you have a scrim overhead to cut the light a bit, or some type of open shade and have to pop fill in from reflector or even a natural reflector?

Real easy, go to K-Mart of Wallymart (the latter I despise) and purchase some black tule (also spelled tulle) and lay it over your reflector. In photography black is not a color, it's a tone, it will not change the color of the image, it's almost like a "black scarf" (found in our tips section) on front of your camera lens. Make sure the tulle is very sheer so the reflector still reflects, works like a charm, gives the model something black to look at and since black (in it's purest form) absorbs 90-percent of the light that hits it, helps the model stop squinting. It's also a great idea that you wear at least a black shirt too and if your head is bald, wear a hat (grin).

Just some fyi, as I'm working on my second book, I was thinking about this concept and wanted to share it with you, it works like a charm..thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: So how do you stop a model from...
Old 04-14-2006, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232
Comments: 0

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.230.168

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This sounds good, but I am a little confused. How much of the reflector area are you covering with the fabric. Surely if you cover all of it you simply negate the reflective effect?
I know you are busy, but sometime a picture of the set-up would be really helpful.
Thanks.

My considered opinion...
Old 04-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.43.47.106

My considered opinion is that Rolando is talking about covering the entire reflector.

That's based on my knowledge of tulle which happens to be a very porous (for lack of a better word) material. It's kind of like very fine fish net, a sheer fabric to be sure. Lots of open spaces for light to get through, but to a viewer it appears to be a color.

Covering the reflector would not prevent light from bouncing back off the reflective surface, but it would knock it down a bit. Also the material color might be easier on the model's eye.

There is a whole school of thought that argues that photographer's must wear black shirts when shooting... but I don't want to get into that discussion. Been there, done that, got the souvenir to prove it.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 04-15-2006, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Life Is Great Images

Member GG#: 49724
Comments: 24

LifeIsGreatImages is offline IP: 66.109.147.67

I keep looking at that black shirt ...
it would not look as good on most of us photographers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LifeIsGreatImages Find More Posts by LifeIsGreatImages

Old 04-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 64.12.117.11

LOL Thank God we're not posting pictures of us Photographers in those black shirts.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Old 04-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

i prefer to smack them upside the head. i usually only have to smack them two or three times before they get with the program.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 04-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 71.122.206.171

Rolando,

Thanks for the great tip! I have a question I have been thinking about. I see alot of photogs that shoot swimsuit use a scrim outdoors to cut down and diffuse the light (since you mentioned it). Here is my question: Lets suppose you have a model in the water at the beach..say she is up to her thighs mabe or not...doesnt matter. You have a scrim overhead to diffuse the light and you are bouncing back in some light with a reflector, how do you (or can you) get rid of or reduce the shadow the scrim creates? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 04-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.238.55

Thank you.

A hat is a must. Don't want the sun burn on the balding head!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 05-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.227

Useful tip. And a really good photo as an example.

It's a simple division of labour - the photographer does the taking of the photo, the model does the looking of the gorgeous - if photographers had to look gorgeous I think there'd be a lot of unemployed photographers around...
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopro34
Rolando,
Thanks for the great tip! I have a question I have been thinking about. I see alot of photogs that shoot swimsuit use a scrim outdoors to cut down and diffuse the light (since you mentioned it). Here is my question: Lets suppose you have a model in the water at the beach..say she is up to her thighs mabe or not...doesnt matter. You have a scrim overhead to diffuse the light and you are bouncing back in some light with a reflector, how do you (or can you) get rid of or reduce the shadow the scrim creates? Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Michael
Hey Mike,

I have been working on that problem and it seems like the only way to get around that is to shoot close.. The model should fill the frame and if your lucky the shadow will not look like a shadow . Keep the bright area arond the outside out of the frame I guess you can say.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo