Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
RAW help please ... images too dark
Old 04-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok. I know my way around Photoshop and my D100, but I rarely shoot in RAW mode, so this has got me puzzeled. I just completed a shoot for a liquor company with my camera teatherd to my laptop. The images look good on the camera LCD, they look good in Nikon View, they looked good in the Nikon View histogram, they even looked good when I displayed them full screen. Then I used Adobe bridget to convert the images to JPGs and all the images are a stop or two darker. I opened all the images in Photoshop and they're all about two stops darker. WTF? This has also happened to several photographer I know, and they were not a big help. SO .... HELP!

Thanks,
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: RAW help please ... images too dark
Old 04-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35855

roninsps is offline IP: 69.249.21.97

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart
Ok. I know my way around Photoshop and my D100, but I rarely shoot in RAW mode, so this has got me puzzeled. I just completed a shoot for a liquor company with my camera teatherd to my laptop. The images look good on the camera LCD, they look good in Nikon View, they looked good in the Nikon View histogram, they even looked good when I displayed them full screen. Then I used Adobe bridget to convert the images to JPGs and all the images are a stop or two darker. I opened all the images in Photoshop and they're all about two stops darker. WTF? This has also happened to several photographer I know, and they were not a big help. SO .... HELP!

Thanks,
Need more Info...like what version photoshop? When was the last time you got a raw file update for photoshop? What color profile gamut you were shooting in? When you viewed them full screen, what mode were you in? what program did you use? was it still nikonview?

Nikon view will open the file up in whatever colorspace you took the photo in, and display it as "real" as opposed to say, taking the pic in adobe colorspace and opening that file up in an sRGB program like windows or acdsee. The colors and lighting look dramatically different. Also photoshop automatically adjusts the image when you open up a raw or dng file... You need to turn off all of the functions that are embedded both in your camera or in photoshop raw...You need to be more clear...

-Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roninsps Visit roninsps's homepage! Find More Posts by roninsps

Old 04-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44631

KMiller is offline IP: 24.241.252.129

Marty,

Just initially, without knowing more details, assuming you are using ACR and Bridge/CS2, it sounds like you have the 'Auto' adjustments on in ACR. Might need to turn them puppies off.

Hope that helps.

Ken

Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37643
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to Bob_S

Bob_S is offline IP: 12.42.64.69

I suggest using the Nikon Capture 4 software to do your .jpeg conversions. I've not had much luck with the Adobe Bridge or Adobe RAW converter....I guess CS3 is going to have a much improved version, but I also know that Nikon/Nik are coming out with a brand new version of the Capture software. Hope this helps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bob_S Visit Bob_S's homepage! Find More Posts by Bob_S

Old 04-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Yeah! G1 photographers come though and save the day!

Thank you for all your information. My images were frosted Vodka bottles shot against a white background. I discovered that I my RAW converter in Photoshop was defaulted to "Use Auto Adjustment." Whe it saw all that white, it darkened my pictures. When I unchecked the "Auto Adjustments", the images brightened up and looked the same as when I viewed them on my laptop. Now I just need to find out how to set this as my default so it doesn't always try to auto correct my images. AND, I need to figure out how to make Adobe Bridge browser show all the images without the Auto Adjustment But that's another day ...

Thanks again!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 04-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.240.167.32

In the raw converter window (ACR), click the right arrow for the context menu and then select 'save as new camera raw defaults'. Done deal.
Welcome to the 'real' RAW world!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Engineer

Member GG#: 36340
Comments: 7

Bevan is offline IP: 68.99.172.134

Let s start over when you use raw you have pixel onfo only color and illumination
no color space or adobe work space info yet.
Now if you open a raw file in PS you allow adobe to assign a work space color
and a defalt croma for your monitor.
Adobe will open the file with its raw reader and allow you to see the processed
raw file as an psd photoshop file which you must then save as a jpg.

So as you are opening the raw file before you click open you must tell PS cs2
how you want the file processed. as all the custom settings in the camera
color space and white balance and compensation are ignored and you can
process the image any way you like in any color space or white balance or
expos f stop or contrast. Just raw data to be processed.

Now use the sliders to set Levels to adjust the Histogram for the best white
and black output levels and then the center histogram slider for the density
you desire.
and the white ballance to the correct temp. flash around 5900K
then ec to fix expos problems.
and open or prosess the raw file.
I t is a time consuming work Flow but you will have total controle of the data
to make the photo after you shoot the photo. lol

Nikon D200 D70 D1
It is not the camera it is the eye!
The hardest part is to Start.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bevan Visit Bevan's homepage! Find More Posts by Bevan