Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Technical Bible for Lighting
Old 04-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267
Comments: 0

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 67.39.52.70

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just curious as to whether or not there is a book or publication that anyone can recommend that is sort of a technical bible for studio lighting. Something along the line of "Studio Lighting for Dummies".

Re: Technical Bible for Lighting
Old 04-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45584

Dave_Dusty is offline IP: 68.70.103.72

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Camera stores have them, it is best to take a class; there is more involved than light position. For a start facing your subject with your main light 45degrees to your left and your fill light directly behind you,your subject 4feet from the back drop with the fill light directly between her and the backdrop. There are many variables from here including gender hair color, long hair, bald head and so on...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dave_Dusty Visit Dave_Dusty's homepage! Find More Posts by Dave_Dusty

Old 04-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.97.162

I haven't (yet) found a single book that covers studio lighting completely... some books are better than others and some even contradict others.

But one book that is really good is called "Light Science and Magic" and it's really NOT about studio lighting (although there are sections about it) per se, but about light in more general terms. Some parts of the book are a bit of a hard read (for me at least) but the things the book teaches can be applied to any kind of lighting including available light.

Well worth it, in my opinion.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 04-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Imago
Just curious as to whether or not there is a book or publication that anyone can recommend that is sort of a technical bible for studio lighting. Something along the line of "Studio Lighting for Dummies".
it's certainly not a lighting bible by any means, but one book that i enjoy and look through the lighting diagrams quite often is called "Photographing People: Portraits, Fashion, Glamour" and its put out by RotoVision. it has like 4 or 5 authors contributing.

but, in a nutshell, everything derives from 3-point triangular lighting to some degree. i.e., key, fill, and back light, set up in a triangular way. you know, like in its simplest most basic form, the key is at a 45 to one side in the front, the fill 45 on the other in front, and the back is behind the model. from there you can move them around, shake them up, delete lights, add lights, add modifiers, play with ratios, etc, etc.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 04-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.238.55

you totally said "delete lights"

-j
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. At times (more and more lately) I find myself wishing that I was 22, and fresh out college with no responsibilities so that I could work as an undepaid assistant and learn from a pro. Since that isn't going to happen it time to roll up my sleeves and figure it out on my own. The more direction I find, the shorter the learning curve (he says hopefully).

Again my thanks!

Old 04-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd
..., in a nutshell, everything derives from 3-point triangular lighting to some degree. i.e., key, fill, and back light, set up in a triangular way. you know, like in its simplest most basic form, the key is at a 45 to one side in the front, the fill 45 on the other in front, and the back is behind the model. from there you can move them around, shake them up, delete lights, add lights, add modifiers, play with ratios, etc, etc.
Here's a question for you Jimmy...and I would be curious to here your thoughts as well Eldor...when looking at a 2-light or 3-light setup, how much does that third light add? I was going to do the Hensel two light kit, but having had time to digest Jimmy's comments I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and drop the coin for a third head right off the bat. Or, is there something else that I should be looking at as a third light? Any preferences on "hair lights"?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 69.250.21.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Imago
Here's a question for you Jimmy...and I would be curious to here your thoughts as well Eldor...when looking at a 2-light or 3-light setup, how much does that third light add? I was going to do the Hensel two light kit, but having had time to digest Jimmy's comments I'm wondering if I should just suck it up and drop the coin for a third head right off the bat. Or, is there something else that I should be looking at as a third light? Any preferences on "hair lights"?
The thing about lighting is this: If you have 2 lights, you want 3. If you've got 3, then 4 would be just about perfect. If you have 7, then 8 is the magic number. No matter how many lights you have, you always want more.

There are only three types of lights: (1) main (or key) light, (2) fill light, and (3) technical lights. Technical lights are any other light you use to solve a problem: light the hair, light the background, light the shoes, light the prop, etc. Technical lights give you a great deal of flexibility. Attached is an image that used three lights: Main light to image left, fill light to image right, and technical light overhead that solved three issues - (1) Put highlights in the hair, (2) Place a circle of light on the backdrop to separate the model from it, (3) Keep the top edge of the fabric she's holding white.

As to the question of buying a 3rd. light, three lights will solve 90% of your fashion/glamour/portrait lighting issues. If you can afford it, I'd recommend buying three lights. The biggest problem then is learning how to use them. The temptation is to throw all three at every situation when you can get by with less. Always build up your lighting solution by starting with a single light and then figuring out what, if any, problem you need to solve next.

-Chip

Old 04-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.80.82.128

I agree with Chip 100% here. You always want more lights. Always. Likewise you always want more modifiers whether they by soft boxes, snoots, barn doors, grids, whatever.

If I only had two lights, I'd probably use one as my main and get a good reflector to use as my fill. The second light I'd use as a "technical" light (as Chip described it). It would be used either as a hair light, accent/kicker light or even background light. Depending on the mood I'm trying to convey or heck, even my own mood at the time.

Don't think for one moment that you need a third light. But you will certainly want one. If not now, then soon. (And then you'll go through the whole thing again with a fourth light.) You can make great shots even with one light. You simply make the best you can with what you have.

I moved into my new Hensel system from Alien Bees... I had four B800's and two B400's. I never used all of them at the same time, but I have used five - main, fill, hair and two on the background.

So when I ordered my Hensel system I got the two-light Integra Pro Plus kit and an extra head. And also ordered a Premium Porty AS/RC kit (that's one head) with a second head. So I'll have a total of five heads that I could use all together in the studio. Eventually, as budget allows, I'll probably add to this system.

My Porty kit hasn't arrived yet (FedEx didn't deliver today in Quebec because of "Good Friday" so I should have it on Tuesday) but one of the things I intend to do with it is to use one of the Porty heads on a boom as a hair light. The Integra Pro Plus is heavy (compared with Alien Bees) and I'd really feel better with something lighter up there on a boom. The Porty might just be excellent for that. Of course that is if I can live with a bit longer recycling time which I'm pretty sure I can.

Anyway, I guess this is a bit long-winded, but the bottom line is that no matter how many lights you have you'll always be wishing for more, thinking what other effects you migth be able to get.

I guess this gives you more to decide on...

Eldor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Thank you
Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 207.118.155.33

Gentlemen, thanks for your insights. As always, the insight from this post alone has paid for my membership.

As someone who tends to "over buy" and on occasion get in over their head, I think I'll be sticking with two lights...for now. I guess its like everything in this profession/hobby...start with the basics, get good at utilizing your equipment, and then expand from there based upon where you need or want to go. Learn to make due with less, and I suspect that ultimately I will be able to accomplish more with whatever equipment I have at my disposal.

Chip, my thanks for your feedback. Eldor, I'm gonna have to name a street after you or something with all the help you've given me!

My thanks!