Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The interaction of portfolios, albums, and taxes...
Old 04-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.43.41.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been doing everything possible to avoid working on my income taxes. That includes playing on this site more than I should.

I discovered I was not showing up in either the non-nude or nude (gasp!) photographer indexes, although I was appearing in the master index. I had no images in either non-nude or nude portfolios, or even a master portfolio, although I did have images in a non-nude album.

Has anyone deciphered the relationship between how you store your images on the site and which indexes you appear in, and who can see your images? It doesn't seem to be straightforward. I concluded that just having images in albums meant you only appear in the master index. Only after I moved an image out of the album to a non-nude portfolio did I show up in the photographer's non-nude index...

Albums may not be the best place to keep images if you want people to see them and find your portfolio, but that's just based on my limited explorations and conclusions...

I am so confused... and April 15th is getting closer by the minute!

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: The interaction of portfolios, albums, and taxes...
Old 04-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
I have been doing everything possible to avoid working on my income taxes. That includes playing on this site more than I should.

I discovered I was not showing up in either the non-nude or nude (gasp!) photographer indexes, although I was appearing in the master index. I had no images in either non-nude or nude portfolios, or even a master portfolio, although I did have images in a non-nude album.

Has anyone deciphered the relationship between how you store your images on the site and which indexes you appear in, and who can see your images? It doesn't seem to be straightforward. I concluded that just having images in albums meant you only appear in the master index. Only after I moved an image out of the album to a non-nude portfolio did I show up in the photographer's non-nude index...

Albums may not be the best place to keep images if you want people to see them and find your portfolio, but that's just based on my limited explorations and conclusions...

I am so confused...
I'm still confused myself on the directory structure.

I can search the 2 indexs for photographers and click on r, and I'm there, but when I look at my pics, of which there are 3 pages of Glamour Non-Nude, going from page1 to page2 and back again, sometimes I see there is a copy of the same pic on each page, and when I go back to make sure, the 2nd copy is gone and the arragement of the pics is changed,....something wierd going on!

What I haven't figured out yet, is exactly where are the pics on the top of the main forum page coming from, because only rarely do I see any of mine, and I see a lot of "re-runs" of others pics.??

I like the albums for putting all the pics of each model in their own album,..to me it's a good way to organize the photos.

I suppose we'll figure it out eventually,....good luck with the taxes,..I'm done with mine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.189.174

I dunno, I've never been considered a dumb guy, but I'm ceretainly not a techno geek or a computer guru. I have absolutely no understanding of this portfolio system. When I uploaded my pix, I just put them in either nude or non nude, but a while later I received a series of emails saying they had been relocated to "more appropriate" folders. I have a total failure of understanding of this system, so I've essentially given up. I wonder about those coming here for the first time. Had it been this comples many years ago when I first came onto the scene, I would have simply moved on.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.42.240.4

Well, I found some info, but the question of the exact relationship between where your pictures are stored and which indexes your name appears in remains a mystery for the moment.

The following info is found on page http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/index.php
I added the red highlighting.

By default, when you login and go to "upload" photos, your photo will default to the "Portfolio Master Member List" pull-down option. If you leave this selected, your photos will appear in your master portfolio. This portfolio is only viewable to registered users. All images placed in the "Non-Nude" categories are viewable to both registered and non-registered users. Nudes are not allowed in non-nude categories. You can also upload to one of your sub-category albums--these are located in the master portfolio list and can only be viewed by registered users.

My visualization of this is that there are three separate storage areas; the master portfolio, the catagory portfolios, and your own albums.

Based on that, I'm inclined to put all my non-nude images in my non-nude catagory portfolio rather than albums just so they are available to registered and non-registered visitors. I don't like having to register on a site just to look at someone's non-nude images, and I suppose that is a common attitude.

The albums seem like a nice idea, but even if they are non-nude they're only viewable by registered users.

There's also the issue of not showing up in the photographer's non-nude index if all your images are in albums...

I'm still very confused about all of this, but maybe I'll get it sorted out...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 04-10-2006, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

If I want to give a NON-REGISTERED viewer a link to my port, I give them this one.
http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/sh...ser/36882/sl/r

A REGISTERED viewer, this one.
http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/sh...0&ppuser=36882

All my photos are in ALBUMS, execept for 2 pics so far,..which rotate across the top of the main page once in awhile.

To get the first link, I clicked PORTFOLIOS, PHOTOGRAPHERS, NON-NUDE, the letter " r ", scrolled to my name and clicked the thumbnail pic,.. there are all my non-nude pics even though they are in albums,....I just copied the address and saved it.

That's all I know at this point
I don't know if this helps any,...but I hope it does somewhat.

View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 04-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Doug,..see my post below to Al_Nowak,...it may help some.
The system is confusing to me too, so I know how you feel,..maybe we will get used to it in time.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.201

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC
If I want to give a NON-REGISTERED viewer a link to my port, I give them this one.
http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/sh...ser/36882/sl/r

A REGISTERED viewer, this one.
http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/sh...0&ppuser=36882

All my photos are in ALBUMS, except for 2 pics so far,..which rotate across the top of the main page once in awhile.

To get the first link, I clicked PORTFOLIOS, PHOTOGRAPHERS, NON-NUDE, the letter " r ", scrolled to my name and clicked the thumbnail pic,.. there are all my non-nude pics even though they are in albums,....I just copied the address and saved it.

That's all I know at this point
I don't know if this helps any,...but I hope it does somewhat.
While I hear what you are saying Ron, I'm also left wondering why -- for my portfolio -- I only see a fraction of the images I have uploaded?

Here's the deal -- I have a total of 43 images in my portfolio (what I see when I go to the My Portfolio link). I also have one album with an additional 4 images there, too.

Now if I go to the regular portfolio link (the one on the menu table that reads Home Chat Portfolio, etc.) and from there click as you described -- Non-nude and then hit an "H" for my name ... it shows there are 14 images there. Conversely, if I got to nudes and then do the "H" to my name ... it says 6 images.

So where in the heck are the other 23 images of mine? LOL

Want a nice curve ball? If I go to that same portfolio area and look at just Portfolios and hit the "H" it now shows I have 63 images!

I realize in some weird way this all makes sense -- but if I take the time to put my work up for others to view, doesn't it make sense that there should be some "simple" way for any registered viewer to just hit a click and view them all?

And I'm not even getting into the fact that there are probably comments on some of my images that I've yet to stumble across ... lol ... since they may be attached to some of those 20 AWOL images.

I know patience is a virtue and there's a new learning curve here -- but I'd sure feel better if I could at least see the crest of that curve!

Dave

Old 04-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
I realize in some weird way this all makes sense -- but if I take the time to put my work up for others to view, doesn't it make sense that there should be some "simple" way for any registered viewer to just hit a click and view them all?
Hi Dave,.....Ya, I know what your saying,...it would be great if there was simple way for even Non-Registered viewers ( only the ones that you give the link to ), to see all the photos, although I for one, can see a small advantage for separation of the 2 catagories, as there may be a client that you, (meaning me), would rather not show the nudes to.

There are a lotta bugs in the system to be worked out,.. I know it ain't easy, and it's way more than I'm capable of!

Oh well,...I have confidance in the guru's