Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Assembling Hensel Beauty Dish?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.96.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok folks, I must be slow but I could use a little help...

I just received the first part of my Hensel order and the Beauty Dish came with no instructions at all. And I can't quite figure out how the parts fit together. Can anyone please help?

It's pretty clear how the grid fits on, but what about the small "hub cap"? There are two holes (180 degrees apart) at the very edge but I just don't see where/how this fits. I really would have expected some guide with the dish for assembly and possibly some usage tips as well. There's also a flat round piece of thin metal - like a ring... joined in one spot and folded over. I'm guessing this is a filter holder. It's 7.25" in diameter

And a little note to those of you considering whether to go with the Hensel radio system (Integra Pro Plus) my first impression is to say FORGET ABOUT IT! It's mickey-mouse at best (apologies to Disney). If you haven't seen this, you'd probably never guess how you change the transmitter from channel to channel... You have to SET DIP SWITCHES AT THE BOTTOM of the unit!!! If it's mounted in the hot shoe of your camera, you have to remove it first! WHAT A CROCK!

And another little note to Canadians thinking of buying the Hensel Integras... modeling lights are NOT INCLUDED! (I sure wish my supplier had told me about this when I was ordering.)

Other than that, everything seems REALLY solid. I'm sure the lights will be great. At least once I get my Pocket Wizards working with them (gotta get a new cable).

Eldor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor
Last edited by eldor; 03-22-2006 at 10:57 AM..

Re: Assembling Hensel Beauty Dish?
Old 03-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.96.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Update: We've got it all figured out now. I didn't see how the diffuser (the hub cap) fit, especially because of the two holes in it making it look like they fit onto something or were bolted on that way. And my supplier was insisting that it fit at the very top of the three little "fingers", above where the filter holder would fit.

Turns out (after a call he made to Germany) that the design of the beauty dish has changed and that the diffuser now fits at the very bottom, in the same place that the grid would fit and it's a one or the other thing (which - dumb me - I didn't immediately realize either).

So all is well now. I'm leaving this up just on the off chance that someone else might run into this same uh, "problem".

But the remote system is still a crock!!!

Cheers!

Eldor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

I wish I had read your message two days ago. I just ordered thePro Plus system from B&H. Since I don't have PW already, I thought it would be the way to go.

Thanks for the instructions on the beauty dish too, I can't wait to get mine.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 03-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldor
But the remote system is still a crock!!!
Cheers!
Eldor
I'm not the kind of guy to say, I told you so....

so I wont. Perhaps I should have elaborated more on the "pain in the ass" comment?? Sorry....

Glad you got the dish figured out, sorry I'm late to that party as well.

Matt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39524
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to kalieaire Send a message via MSN to kalieaire Send a message via Yahoo to kalieaire Send a message via Skype™ to kalieaire

kalieaire is offline IP: 66.240.25.9

What's the point of buying the premium unit anyway? More Flashes? Asymmetrical output?

I'd rather get two regular Porty powerpacks and two heads. They go for 2,000 used for a pair of PPs and LHs.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kalieaire Find More Posts by kalieaire

Old 03-23-2006, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.200.202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcherry
so I wont. Perhaps I should have elaborated more on the "pain in the ass" comment?? Sorry....
Glad you got the dish figured out, sorry I'm late to that party as well.
Matt
yep, I thought you were convinced and then you did this U-turn when ordering, still the "Plus's" have a lighted rear panel and a better Light Stand mount, so just enjoy..

When I bought my Beauty Dish, it was real apparrent how it worked, it sounds like yours was in peices. And ALL my Units came with Modeling Lights (from B&H)..

Old 03-23-2006, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.141.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdoc
I wish I had read your message two days ago. I just ordered thePro Plus system from B&H. Since I don't have PW already, I thought it would be the way to go.
Thanks for the instructions on the beauty dish too, I can't wait to get mine.
Oh I'm sure you're going to love your new lights. Other than for the wimpy remote control system, so far I'm loving mine as well. They're really well-made and boy are they heavy (compared to my Alien Bees). I like the contols on the lights and I'm sure I'll be very happy. And that you will too.

The Hensel remote comes with a little wire that plugs into the side of the remote and the other end has a pc-sync connector - this is for use with cameras that don't have the hotshoe connector I guess. Anyway, it might be possible to get the best of both worlds by adapting this cable for use with Pocket Wizards. I'm going to give it a try and let everyone know if it works or not.

The question is whether or not there is any delay introduced if you relay the "fire" instruction from the camera through Pocket Wizard transmitter, to PW receiver on the Hensel transmitter to the Hensel receiver in the lights. Maybe, maybe not. In any case, I'll get a cable today and test it out.

IF it works, it would mean that we wouldn't have to rely on the optical slaves for each light to fire (which might be a problem in sunlight or if a head is not able to "see" the firing of another head.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcherry
Well, I do wish you'd have been stronger with your comments. I understood them to mean you thought that was how the remote worked... not that you'd actually used it or even held it in your hands. Anyway, it's my loss.

In my free time today I'm testing various configurations of the remote and I'll try to pick up a cable for my Pocket Wizards to test that as well. The more time I spend with the Hensel remote the LESS I like it.

I guess I'll start a new thread with my findings.

Cheers!

Eldor

Old 03-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire
What's the point of buying the premium unit anyway? More Flashes? Asymmetrical output?

I'd rather get two regular Porty powerpacks and two heads. They go for 2,000 used for a pair of PPs and LHs.
Well yeah, more flashes and the asymetrical output were strong factors, but I also liked the better charger, newer battery etc. For you folks in the States it's a lot easier to find good deals on used Porty stuff than for us Canadians. Importing the stuff could be a real pain, and of course testing it out first, etc. might not even be possible.

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenD
yep, I thought you were convinced and then you did this U-turn when ordering, still the "Plus's" have a lighted rear panel and a better Light Stand mount, so just enjoy..
When I bought my Beauty Dish, it was real apparrent how it worked, it sounds like yours was in peices. And ALL my Units came with Modeling Lights (from B&H)..
Yeah, I was convinced, but then my supplier didn't have the regular Pros in stock (at least not three of them) and there wasn't all that much difference in the price between them and the Plus's. So I sprung for the extra. And considering that I was also getting a Porty Premium I thought it would probably be an advantage to have everything work with the same radio system.

Apparently in Canada the heads do NOT include a modeling light OR an umbrella reflector. Sigh.

Yes, the dish was in pieces and there were no instructions. And in talking on the phone with my supplier I found out that there had been a change in design with the beauty dish and even he wasn't sure how it all fit together. I took photos and he sent them to Germany for clarification. But all is well now, and it was so simple in fact that I felt really stupid about it. But at least my supplier had no idea either so that made me feel a bit better.

I'll be starting a new thread about the remote system, as soon as I finish some more tests (and get another cable).

Cheers!

Eldor