Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Alienware?? Anyone using it?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.148.173

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I did the research, the #1 rated desktop system was Alienware. The tech support is rated as the best. The price is high, but they have the liquidcooled system. I took the plunge, oredered it the way I wanted it, identical twin harddrives and RAID 1 support on the motherboard. Called while it was being built to make sure the RAID stuff was set correctly. I was informed that it was and that when I got the new system I should call tech support, and activate the RAID. I actually got it early, gorgeous system, clean inside and out.

I call Tech support as instructed. In two hours they managed to crash the computer so bad, it will not run. So, in the next 12 hours (over two consecutive days) I finally find out that they did not ship the correct recovery disk for the Windows Media Center, with drivers, so I cannot recover the system. Mind you, I didn't lose any data, it just won't run. The Tech guy, and yes, I keep a running list of whom I speak to, callls marketing, who state the new disks "just came in" and they would ship one FedEx, over night to me. No need for overnight I say, I'm on my way to Maui for a week. OK, we'll ship it two day, so it will be there when you get back. Great, thanks for the help.

Fast forward to last night, I get back, no disk. Called this A.M. Talked to tech support, they say the disk was mailed USPS and takes about two weeks to get here. From Florida? My mother gets me stuff in 3 days in the mail, if only it took two weeks. So now what? I ask to speak to customer service. No, they can't do anything about it, blah, blah, blah. So I ask to speak to a supervisor, they are all busy and can I hold. Three times the girl whom I am speaking to comes on the line to try and argue me down. I said, "Look, it is ok if you don't have the authority to send me the damn disk, but don't argue with me." As she continues I ask who I should ship it to to return it. Bear in mind, it has a full warrantee on it. She said I would have to pay a 15% restocking fee if I don't want the system. I explain to her that they cannot charge a restock fee if the computer does not work. Again with the arguement. Finally, after demanding again to speak to a supervisor, she said they are all busy, I wonder why, and they would ship the disk second day FedEx. Which was my first request.

I still don't have my computer working. Does anyone else have any eaperience with Alienware? I think their ratings need to drop by quite a bit. Maybe when it is up and running, I will forget the misery, the 14 hours on the phone, the argumentative servie folks, and I'll just be ecstatic. For now I have a $4,000 paper weight,or boat anchor, and I'm a bit pissed and frustrated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Re: Alienware?? Anyone using it?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39640

CaptainKen is offline IP: 69.25.212.2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When I wanted a fast computer a couple of years ago I went to a local shop, HIQ computers and had them build one with the components I wanted, high end stuff same as Alienware, I used Alienware machine as a template, the advantage of being locally built and serviced is tremendous when there is a problem or upgrade. The first machine I had them build had a recall on the mother board, I took it in and they changed it no charge. Amazingly I got a nearly identical machine for $1000.00 less. My computer doesn't have the crazy color case but that's something I can live without. For what itís worth you have convinced me not to buy Alienware. Good luck getting it up and running.
Ken
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CaptainKen Find More Posts by CaptainKen

Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.172.245

I usually build my own systems. On the few occasions that I havent I will always buy them locally as opposed to ordering them. Local dealers are always better to use when it comes to customer service. I think you just learned that lesson.

Scott

Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 65.11.130.157

I have own Alienware, since 2001 and have never had such a bad experience. I have heard that lately their customer service has not been up to par.. but it could be cuz of their huuuuge growing pains.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 03-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35516

JamesC is offline IP: 24.170.126.3

You will find a 13 March 2006 article from CNN here on Alienware: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/fun.gam....ap/index.html

I will agree that there must be some frustration for the employee with the huge growth that they have been experiencing. Management had better get a handle on that kind of crap right away!!

By the way the competition Dell is offering XPS systems in order to compete.

I too build most of my own systems, but it is starting to get a little to technical for me. My current system has parts that transfered from my old machine.

Best of luck getting your system up and running. It would seem that once the kinks are worked out you will likely have years of great reliability.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JamesC Find More Posts by JamesC

Old 03-20-2006, 07:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50500
Send a message via Yahoo to sean.armenta

sean.armenta is offline IP: 68.70.219.39

i agree... build your own. and liquid-cooled? unless you are a hard core gamer, you don't need a liquid-cooled system. in my opinion it's overkill for image editing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sean.armenta Visit sean.armenta's homepage! Find More Posts by sean.armenta

Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39524
Send a message via AIM to kalieaire Send a message via MSN to kalieaire Send a message via Yahoo to kalieaire Send a message via Skype™ to kalieaire

kalieaire is offline IP: 68.120.199.2

ohhh, I know how to solve your problem.

Stick your hand into your back pocket, pull out your wallet, take out your credit card, turn it to the back, and call the 1800 number.

THERE!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kalieaire Find More Posts by kalieaire

Old 03-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36113

Doug_E is offline IP: 66.25.92.149

There was an article in this morning's paper that Dell has closed a deal to purchase Alienware. (SA Express News Business section). "We believe that Alenware will realize significant advantages from Dell's world-class supply chain and operational efficiencies." Now you'll talk to tech support in India.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46516

jacob is offline IP: 70.29.29.81

lmao @ kaileaire and doug.e's comments.

IF, you can, try to return it, I'm hoping it's not too late for you.
Find a local computer store (not Crap Buy -used to work there-), get one built, get dual-core AMD (anything) Opteron based, with a power supply over $50 MSI motherboard (go to AMD's site to see what they recommend for motherboards that work best with their CPU's.

Anyone wanna get into the PC market with me?
Seems like everyone is doing it, didn't realize there was more than one, Alienware, type company
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jacob Find More Posts by jacob