Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hensel Remote & Optical Slaves
Old 03-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37661
Comments: 1

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.142.231

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm trying to decide between the Hensel Integra Pro and the Pro Plus (with radio receiver/transmitter) system. Does anyone know if when the Hensel radio system is active does the optical slave system still work? Or is it disabled?

I already own two sets of Pocket Wizards and also have the PW-compatible radio modules in my Sekonic meters and I would hate to give up the convienience they offer (especially for metering). Yet I would love to have the remote power adjustment for the lights that the Hensel remote offers.

So thanks to a suggestion by StevenD, I'm trying to find out if it would be possible to use BOTH the PW and Hensel system at the same time.

A PW receiver would be plugged into a light and transmitters would be on my cameras for taking the shots. The module in the Sekonic meters would trigger the receiver for firing the lights to take readings. And the Hensel remote would be used to fine-tune the light output (I hate climbing ladders to adjust the power of a hair light!).

Is this a dream, or would it be somehow possible?

(I'm also getting the Premium Porty Plus kit so I'd have the Hensel remote system there too.)

Thanks!

Eldor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Re: Hensel Remote & Optical Slaves
Old 03-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just go with the Pocket Wizards, that's what I did and I'm glad.

1) They are standard, everyone uses them and if I have to supplement my lights with another brand, PW will still work. When I travel to a studio and use their lights, PWs work. As has been said, they just WORK.

2) My Sekonic meter, which I love as much as I love life itself, has a built in PW transmitter so I can fire my strobes wirelessly when metering. For me, this is the best part.

3) After playing with it at B&H, the remote power control seemed like a pain in the ass. I would certainly buy a dedicated remote if Hensel were to offer it, but the system they have now was not for me.

If you can't tell, I'm very happy with the PWs and the money saved buys another light.

Matt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 03-19-2006, 02:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39524
Send a message via AIM to kalieaire Send a message via MSN to kalieaire Send a message via Yahoo to kalieaire Send a message via Skype™ to kalieaire

kalieaire is offline IP: 68.120.199.2

If I am not mistaken, the optical slaves should be active as long as they're switched on to active. Its connection has no bearing on whether or not the slaves activate or not. If you want them off, turn the switch to the off position, if you want them on, switch them to the on position. If you have any questions, just email Hensel, their customer service is always very eager to help anyone with questions or in need!

-Stanley
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kalieaire Find More Posts by kalieaire

Old 03-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire
If I am not mistaken, the optical slaves should be active as long as they're switched on to active. Its connection has no bearing on whether or not the slaves activate or not. If you want them off, turn the switch to the off position, if you want them on, switch them to the on position. If you have any questions, just email Hensel, their customer service is always very eager to help anyone with questions or in need!
-Stanley
Yep, that's how mine work.

Matt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 03-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

eldor is offline IP: 70.80.82.128

Thanks Matt and Stanley.

I talked to Marc Gottula of HenselUSA and he clarified (to my satisfaction) how the Hensel remote system works. And I just cannot justify the expense of that system for the little it'll do for me.

My biggest concern was not having to climb a ladder to adjust my hair light and I have a solution that'll probably work fine for me.

I'm going with 3 Integra Pro heads (no radio system) and I'll hook up my Pocket Wizard receiver to one of them and use the PW for triggering the flashes from the camera and the radio module in my Sekonics to trigger them for metering. Since I'm also getting a Porty Premium Plus (wish there was a version of that with the new battery without the radio system) for those times when I have a hair light up high, I'll use one of the Porty heads. Even without the remote control, the Porty adjustments are made on the power pack and not the head, so with that I won't have to climb any ladders.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to live with the (slower) recycle time on the Porty in the studio but if not, I'll consider the (expensive) ac adapter for it or even an Integra Pro Plus head (since I'll already have the transmitter from the Porty Premium kit).

What do you think? Would you do it differently?

Now I've just got to decide between B&H and the Canadian source (Headshots). B&H is slightly cheaper (even after exchange and shipping) and they have it all in stock (Headshots needs to order from Germany). Samy's hasn't responded (at all!) to my email asking for prices after 5 business days, and I just found out why that is... they don't accept Canadian orders. (But it would have been nice if they'd responded to tell me that.)

Can't wait to get my hands on these new Hensels!

Cheers!

Eldor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eldor Visit eldor's homepage! Find More Posts by eldor

Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

If you know what you want, go B&H. I buy almost all my stuff from them and have never had a problem. Granted I usually walk in, but I've never heard of a problem with their mail order department either. Also for Hensel you can check with Adorama.

Personally, I think you should bring a couple of French Canadian models down here to NY, I'll bring you to B&H and you can buy the strobes there. Since you will have too much to bring back with you, I'll do you the favor of keeping one of the French Canadian models, here with me, until your next visit. I would hate to do it, as it would be a major inconvenience, but I'm willing to put myself out for a friend. Just one thing, you can't leave the one who doesn't shave... I'm American after all and under arm hair on a woman gives me the willies...

Matt

Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46091
My Mood:

GCook is offline IP: 209.222.52.169

"I'm trying to find out if it would be possible to use BOTH the PW and Hensel system at the same time."

After reading your thread I had to know. Yes, I just fired my hensels with both the test button with slave on and with the hensel remote which was also switched to active.

The hensel Integra pro plus lights can be adjusted seperately and remotely by using two channels on the transmitter and receivers. Then you fire one remotely and the other with slave.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GCook Visit GCook's homepage! Find More Posts by GCook

Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.105.31.189

Cool Eldor, looks like your path is clear now, full speed ahead to some great Lighting!

Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

eldor is offline IP: 70.81.141.15

Well folks, my order is in, and it's changed yet again! As you know I was back and forth between the Integra Pro and Pro Plus and in the end even though I decided the plain Pro would be all I need, the (relatively) small cost savings wasn't worth it. Up here in Canada (I'm ordering from Headshots in Toronto) the difference in cost for three heads between the Pro and the Pro Plus was only CDN$360 (meaning about US$280 or so). And for that difference I'd probably be kicking myself for not getting the radio system.

Anyway, it's done. The Integras will be shipping from stock but the Permium Porty has to come from Germany so it'll be a few weeks. But the best news is that the beauty dish is shipping from stock!

Can't wait!

Old 03-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.37.143

Does this mean I don't get a French Canadian girl????

I knew it.....