Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
First day with some new Hensel lights!! But I have two questions....
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Long time lurker, first time poster...

First off a big thanks to this board for (unknowingly) steering me in the direction of Hensel. I love these lights and am very happy that I went with them. My first question is regarding the wireless radio system. I would like to purchase it but I noticed it is not Pocket Wizard compatible. No I have no investment in PW stuff so it's not much of an issue, but I do own a Sekonic light meter that I love (Dualmaster L-558 Cine) and it has a built in radio module that IS PW compatible. So my question is for those of you using the Hensel radio system how are you metering your lights? Tethered? Or can I make this Light Meter work with the Hensel system?

Second question. Along with the kit, I purchased a beauty dish. This really seems nice and I plan on giving it a workout on Sunday and then for a more formal shoot this Wed. Having never used one before I would love any tips and pointers that you guys could share so that I don't look like a total idiot the first time out the gate.

No models today, but I did use the new strobes to do a still life. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Re: First day with some new Hensel lights!! But I have two questions....
Old 03-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.51

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As a fellow new owner of Hensel, I can answer your first question easily. The Hensel transmitter is not compatible with anything else, including PWs. The way I do meter readings if I'm alone, is to carry the trigger (with or without the camera) with you when you place the meter in front of the subject, and fire it from there. This is how I did it with my old Wein infared transmitters, and how people without the chip in the Sekonic meter do it all the time. Or have an assistant press the button on the pack....

As for the beauty dish, I must be the only guy on this board that isn't a big fan of them. I have one from Norman, but I only use it with a 22" grid on the front.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 03-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36153

m435tro is offline IP: 71.103.176.179

Hi Andy,

I remember last time that you're switching your gear from Nikon to another brand. I'm wondering if you have any Nikon gear that up for sale and it's way beyond market value. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Please let me know. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Best regards, Sonny
  View Public Profile Send a private message to m435tro Visit m435tro's homepage! Find More Posts by m435tro

Old 03-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.238.204

"I must be the only guy on this board that isn't a big fan of them"

To me, the bigger the light source, the better. I have never considered a beauty dish. -Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 03-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My background is cinematography not still photography, so I really liked different light sources and especially like mixing hard and soft sources. So to much 'big" or soft light is a little boring to me. The reason I popped for the beauty dish is because you can grid the center, which will hopefully act as if I were to place a gridded spot just under (or in front of) a large soft box. I like that look and am hoping I can achieve it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 03-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I assume when you hit the test button on the light, the flash fires as set and not at full, correct?

Also, I should have just bought the Pro Plus lights, but apparently did not (thought I did)... Oh well, next time... If I buy the Hensel transmitter kit, should I get/do I need to get a receiver for each of these lights? I understand I can slave one to the master, but I probably would only be able to control the master with the trigger, correct?

Matthew

Old 03-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

The Integra Pros do not have receivers in them, so you need to get a receiver for each one of them. Would you be suprised if I told you that the cost of a Hensel receiver is more or less the cost difference between a Pro and Pro Plus monolight?
Have you considered contacting the place where you purchased them and asking if you could exchange them?

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 03-05-2006, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.232

Yep, went Canon all the way. I'm in the process of putting together my ebay list of the Nikon stuff, I'll be sure to post a message on GG when I do.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

All I can tell you
Old 03-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.232

My experience with Hensel is limited to what I have - a Porty power pack with one head and a ringlight - so I can't tell you anything about their other heads and I know nothing about the self-contained mono lights, sorry. If the mono lights have standard 1/4" jacks for slaves (like the one Hensel head I do have) or the household plug looking connector, you can use any wireless trigger system like Wein or PW. I would assume the other mono-lights will have some kind of built-in sensor (it senses the first flash going off) in which case you shouldn't need more than one wireless receiver, but don't quote me on that since I'm not familiar with the heads you have.

One thing I can say for sure (I hope) is that once you set the output level on the heads (whether they be a pack & head system like mine, or mono-lights), those output levels will stay put when you do your flash reading with a hand-held meter. The Hensel transmitter I have (for the Porty - yours may be different) also has a feature to control the output of the power pack, up or down, but once its set, its set and the reading you get with the meter is the correct reading. (What would be the point of getting a light reading on a false setting?).

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

Old 03-05-2006, 03:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

So what you're saying is, I'm an idiot?

LOL, I'll buy that - and I'll see if I can exchange them tomorrow...

Thanks, Chip.