Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Backing up files
Old 02-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608
Comments: 0

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.126.152

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm curious about when, what and how people back up. I've really fallen behind in my backing up (usually just to CD-R).

Do you back up just the original images or do you back up the PSD files, too. I lot of times I have a work in progress so my PSDs get pretty big.

Do you back up right away after getting the images off the camera or after you've edited the images? And you do you back up all the images or just the better ones?

Lastly, are you backing up to external DH, tape, CD or DVD? Do you keep them in a controlled environment? I've heard bad things about the true lifespan of CDs and DVDs, so it seems that tape might be the better method.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Re: Backing up files
Old 02-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.232.69

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Two purchases that have made my life easier: DVD burner and a Seagate 100GB external drive.

In case you are interested, I believe that you should always have folders in two separate locations. I download to the Seagate to free up space on my C drive. The Seagate external is a little larger that a pack of cigarettes and is powered by the USB. It stays under my LCD, whick has 4 USB ports on it. All the worked files in Photoshop stay in that folder under my LCD screen. Then, when I know I need to use the CompactFlash cards for another shoot,(2nd location until the burn) I burn a DVD and store them in a closet.

I have a lot of memory cards now and they are a 3rd location for a short period of time. Buy good quality CD's or DVD's if you value your work.

As time passes and new storage devices appear, I will transfer the important (few) work to the "new" standard. I have a box of Zip Drives that I rarely use.

Jim
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 02-26-2006, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39809

RSavage is offline IP: 68.7.241.19

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious about when, what and how people back up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every night, everything I don't want to lose, and multiple hard drives...internal and external.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you back up just the original images or do you back up the PSD files

[/ QUOTE ]

Just think about it...if you have a 'work in progress' that you may have a LOT of time in....do you want to lose it? Back it up. I keep multiple copies of EVERYTHING...original RAW files, converted TIFs, and PSDs (actually there may even be multiple versions of the same PSD..they all get backed up. In addition, I backup all configuration files, actions, address books, etc.....EVERYTHING that I have had to change or build.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you back up right away after getting the images off the camera or after you've edited the images? And you do you back up all the images or just the better ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as before....EVERYTHING....every night. I may force a backup as soon as I dump cards to the drive as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, are you backing up to external DH, tape, CD or DVD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard drives. They have become soooo cheap and are WAY easier than other removable media. I use a freeware backup program called Karen's Replicator...it is very flexible and the price is right. There are other options out there, but this one does everything I need. Running that is the last thing I do at night before shutting down the machine.

All this may seem a bit extreme, but once you have a drive failure you will understand [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I played this game for 20+ years and never had a drive failure....I finally got bit last year...and I wasn't fully backed up....never again.

For what it's worth,

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSavage Find More Posts by RSavage

Old 02-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

I try to back up the RAW files immediately but I get slack. All Image files go to a 'Write to DVD' folder which I try to backup whenever I get a DVD worth of files. In the mean time I pull out working copies to my 'Active' folder which is arranged by client. When a project is done, the client folder gets copied to the 'Write to DVD' folder so the working files get backed up too. I have and index of my archive DVDs so I can find what I need and remember to refresh the old discs. I mix files from different clients and jobs so I can get the most of my DVD capacity; the index helps me keep them sorted out.

Chip

View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Backups are important
Old 02-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42400

MartinaSmith is offline IP: 24.91.84.248

How important the files are to you, shoud dictate how often you back them up, and how redundant your back up is.

For me, I have three hard drives in my computer,and my computer networked to an older computer where I also nabkup files. My main drive has all my files and software installed on it. My other two hard drives hold exact copies of each file I want to save.And the old computer has my most important " I CANT LIVE WITHOUT" files on it. That gives me four copies in two seperate but linked locations. This helps me to feel alot better about losing files. I feel much safer this way.

WHy?
Because , for me,even if two of my hard drives and the old computer fail at the same time, I STILL have my files backed up and rdy to go.

CDR's are good for backup, but a small scratch across the top of it, into that coating ontop, renders the cd useless. So I go the more expensive route. But I still have files that are seven years old thanks to backing them up.

Marty
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MartinaSmith Find More Posts by MartinaSmith

Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.88.10

Here's something that I've had to tackle, and here's what I have done. I back up all of the original files onto a cd (I don't have a dvd burner) and onto my external hard drive for 2 reasons, 1. in case I screw up, 2. in case the computer or files screw up. I love the ease of the external hard drive, but hate the vaunerablity of it, hence the cd backup. Just what I do, but I do want to get a dvd burner, just to save the number of disks I use.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35789
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeV

MikeV is offline IP: 63.224.203.164

I want to toss this out there again. USB drives are great for backup but there is one thing you want to remember... like any other hard drive, they will die. The two biggest things that kill them are heat and hours of use. I am a firm believer in shutting them off when I'm not backing up. There is no reason to have that drive spinning all the time if it's not in use. Why put the hours on it?

I also have a fire safe and I use it. If I go somewhere for the weekend or when I'm on vacation my drives are not sitting on my desk. They are locked up in the fire safe. If there should be a fire or someone should break in at least there is a chance my files will survive.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MikeV Visit MikeV's homepage! Find More Posts by MikeV