Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
PC and Mac wars, Why can\'t we all get along. ????
Old 02-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541
Comments: 0

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.204.20

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok first off I need some of your brain power.

I had been working with a client who uses only Macs and I have been a PC user for since my first 386 IBM. I have never had a problem with Macs before but this is proving to be a major headache.

He had shot with his Mark 2 Canon and saved all the Raw images to a portable drive that was formatted for Macs. My Windows box could not "see" this external drive so we had to network his laptop (with the drive connected) and transfer the images over to my box. (Here is where it starts to get strange) The folders could be read with Photoshop but not Windows. I could copy the Raw Tiffs into other folders then they could be read by both Photoshop and Windows as Tiffs.

So not a major problem but wait.

I do all the work on his images (Over 17 hours worth) and burn the final finished Tiffs to DVDs. (6 folders of about 2.5 gigs each) and drop them off. He calls me and said that there is a problem with the disks because his Mac can not "see" them. Well (Nasty word) I burn a second set which as the first I double check and can read on my Windows box. Drive them down to him (about 40 minutes away) and we go to computer store near the drop off point and put them in Mac that is the same model as his. The images though slow to show up do show up. I am thinking OK problem solved. Well last night he calls and said that he still can't see them on his Mac and has to ship the images out today.

He said that he did talk to the Mac store in Denver and they said that the problem is more likely my disks. But if he re formats his portable hard drive so it can be seen by both Mac and Windows that it might solve the problem.

Later I am going to take my desktop box (along with keyboard and mouse and small monitor) to his house and see if the portable drive will work. (I am taking my computer along to save driving back and forth and getting the problem solved at his house.)

If you have any suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoaz Visit photoaz's homepage! Find More Posts by photoaz

Re: PC and Mac wars, Why can\'t we all get along. ????
Old 02-20-2006, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The problem with the DVD's is most likely the format that you burned them. Make sure you are using one of the ISO (International Standards Organization) formats instead of some of the weird ones like the formats that Nero or Roxio default their software to. All Mac disks are burnt to the ISO format so there is no problem with PC's reading them.

If he formats his drive to a windows format it will work with both just fine but formating from the Mac will just make it a fat 32 format, if you format it using your windows machine it will be NTSF which will also be usable with the Mac if he has Mac OS 10.4, and possibly 10.3.

Anyway, go to your disk burning utility and check what format you are burning in and that will most likely be the problem. Especially if you are using the Joliette format.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 02-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 24.17.103.235

You have a couple of separate problems. Your not being able to "see" his external drive is because of the way it is formated. External hard drives for sale that say MAC or PC plug and play do actually work on both. Those drives have been formated for DOS. The Mac OS can read it and a Mac OS formated drive. The PC cannot read a Mac OS formated drive only DOS. And there are some bigger hidden headaches besides that not important here.

My guess is how his external drive is formated is why your computer couldn't "see" it.

On to the DVD. Several possible problems. One could be a propritary formatting program on your system that the Mac cannot read. The suggestion of using the ISO standard is an excellent one. The other possibility is that not all DVDs are the same. There are different formats within, like + and -. The Mac cannot read them all.

Again, make sure that the disk format is compatiable and use the ISO standard.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35204

dksun is offline IP: 67.83.49.170

As the others have mentioned, the external hard drive should be formatted as FAT32 if both Macs and PCs need access. Alternatively, your client could have burned DVDs for you to use.

Also, for the DVDs, my guess is that you haven't finalized the disc (closed off the session) after burning. Macs can't read unfinalized discs. Also, many older Macs can only burn DVD-R's...not really sure if +/- comes into play for reading the discs.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dksun Visit dksun's homepage! Find More Posts by dksun

Old 02-21-2006, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

I want to thank you all for the help.

I am thinking that it may be the -R thing on the DVDs since after I dropped off'd the DVDs and a large stack of CDs as a backup plan he mentions that he used -R and didn't seem to have any problems.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoaz Visit photoaz's homepage! Find More Posts by photoaz

Old 02-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.88.10

Let me offer an idea. One reason why I do not use the tiff format, while it is one of the better formats, the reason why I do not use it is due to the fact that since I work on both Mac's and PC's, I might forget to save the tiff file in either PC or Mac format. While the Mac should be able to see them, and photoshop should be able to open them, I would try to save a few files in jpg format, which is the same on both platforms to see if that works, and try it on a cd since it's just a few files and wouldn't be as much of a waste of a dvd. Hope this helps. I normally don't recommend jpg's, but I do recommend using eps's and photoshop formats.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

The problem is that the client required Tiffs and not jpegs. Plus CDs with tiffs were fine it was just that a folder of images was about 2.3 gigs so that was a number of CDs and I had to be careful to not skip any in the list.

I think that world just has not put out a software program for Windows that can make DVDs for Macs.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48848

bonj is offline IP: 61.69.179.35

If you burn a DVD on a disc that is supported by both machines (-R/+R), and you use the ISO standard, and finalise the disc, it will be able to be read by all Windows, Mac, SunOS, Solaris, Linux etc boxes. If it is standards compliant, and the drive supports the media (whether it is -R or +R or DVD-RAM), it will work. You just need to isolate which is the non-standard condition.

Maybe no help to you now, but will be in the future. My advice is to find a solution that works, and meticulously stick with it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bonj Visit bonj's homepage! Find More Posts by bonj

Old 02-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.88.10

Ok, for a second I thought that it might be for a friend that you could just try that, but under the circumstances, I totally understand.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

I've used Mac and PC side by side for years, and moved tiff's back and fourth between them with no regard to which way they were saved in regard to byte order other than to use the one that originated the file and we've never had a problem with it.

We did learn to do the disk burning on the Mac's so that everyone could read them though.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR