Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Olympus Focus
Old 02-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46479
Comments: 0

TSGCo is offline IP: 69.165.117.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey GG Members, I was anticipating that I would be posting my first images by this time. There seems to be some set backs and time to get familiar with new equiptment is taking it's toll.
Okay, I bought the Olympus Evolt-300 to start with as I had tons of expenses with a new studio. It came with two standard lenses as part of the package.
When I am shooting a model in-house Studio I cannot seem to achieve a crisp and sharp focus with my images.
Lighting is standard and settings are done with a light meter and I am to old to not use a tripod at this point.
So what gives? I spent the day shooting the same chair today out of frustration and when I enlarge the photo to see the detail? Its not there, it is a slight blur.
I am not used to auto focus and digital. The camera was easy enough to turn most of the program stuff off and just shoot manual but the focus in manual mode has the little indicator light as I am used to the split focus from years past.
Can you all help me get on the right track?
Much appreciated and promise Portfolio images are so close for me!
Respectfully,
Marc Brunon
TSG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TSGCo Visit TSGCo's homepage! Find More Posts by TSGCo

Re: Olympus Focus
Old 02-09-2006, 03:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35874

j_steen is offline IP: 68.97.40.53

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Unfortunately, bad focus can be caused by any number of things.......
especially when using a new camera that your not entirely familiar with!

You said that you were shooting with manual focus, have you tried using auto focus to check to see if it's just you having problems with manual focus? Something else you might try is shooting some pictures with your camera on a tripod with the self timer, maybe the problem is camera shake which is probably the main reason for blurred pictures!

Is anything in the pictures in focus? Many times, people think that their pictures are out of focus when in reality they are focused on the wrong area! I've seen a lot of pictures where the wall behind the subject was perfectly focused but not the subject? And of course some digital cameras have been known to backfocus......

Without really seeing how you shoot and focus, it would be virtually impossible to tell exactly what the cause is? I wish you luck in fixing the problem! Nothing worse than getting a new camera and not being able to enjoy it. If all else fails, let me know and I send you my glasses.........
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j_steen Find More Posts by j_steen

Old 02-09-2006, 03:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.63.207

You might want to try and let the camera focus in autofocus mode and then see if the diopter in the viewfinder is set correctly for your eye. After the camera focuses, adjust the diopter until the viewfinder looks the sharpest to you. Then switch back to manual focus and run your tests.

Good luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SteveB Visit SteveB's homepage! Find More Posts by SteveB

Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41057

cozanostra is offline IP: 198.54.202.210

Just wondering if your are looking at the photos straight out of the camera...reason being that most photos straight out of a dslr do require sharpening.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cozanostra Visit cozanostra's homepage! Find More Posts by cozanostra

Old 02-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.41.6

[ QUOTE ]
Hey GG Members, I was anticipating that I would be posting my first images by this time. There seems to be some set backs and time to get familiar with new equiptment is taking it's toll.
Okay, I bought the Olympus Evolt-300 to start with as I had tons of expenses with a new studio. It came with two standard lenses as part of the package.
When I am shooting a model in-house Studio I cannot seem to achieve a crisp and sharp focus with my images.
Lighting is standard and settings are done with a light meter and I am to old to not use a tripod at this point.
So what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the previous comments are right on. Also, we don't know what lenses you're shooting with but my experience is that "package" lenses are not always the best quality lenses. Manufacturers make various quality of lenses for different markets from amateur to Pro. You should really check to see what quality of lenses you got and see if you have a match with your expectations.

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

TSGCo is offline IP: 71.241.200.114

Thanks Guys! I am using a standard Zuiko 14-45mm lens 1:3.5-5.6.
A tripod, remote shutter control and my shutter speed is 125/f16.
I have not made any ajustments to the camera since I got it in November and this is my second shoot with all the equiptment after giving the SLR its final goodbye.
As many items are curtailed to the basic shooter and I am unfamiliar with Digital, What is meant by the response that photos right out of the camera need a slight sharpening?
Your help is giving me some assurance that I can get throught this.
Thanks alot.
TSG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TSGCo Visit TSGCo's homepage! Find More Posts by TSGCo

Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 71.83.118.58

Ok. First place to start is to take the camera outside into bright sunlight and shoot a few pics at a high contrast object. Something with bold black lines in white works well. See how the focus looks. You may be trying to focus in too dim a light or the contrast might not be enough, or.... Too many variables and autofocus is extremely easy to fool.

If that focuses ok, then start working on your studio to see what you can do to get more contrast or brighter light to focus with.

As to sharpening, unless you can set your camera to sharpen the images, you're going to need to sharpen them in photoshop (or another editting program) before you try printing your iamges. Now, IMO, it's much better to not sharpen in camera and do it yourself to the amount an image needs (they aren't necessarily all the same.) If you shoot RAW file formats, you don't have a choice as the camera doesn't sharpen the raw image, you'll have to sharpen it during conversion or during editting.

My workflow goes from RAW to photoshop. Then I do any editting, color correction etc. Then I resize and finally I sharpen as the last thing before I print or save for web use.

Hopefully that helps a bit. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 02-09-2006, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Hey James, Thanks for the help. I am using a Tripod and remote shutter control. I have read before that some Digital cameras have certain points of focus that you have to get used to? I don't know if this is something I am looking for. Since I know already I can be kind of shaky-I always use a tripod and the slight un-focused edges that I don't see with the photos I am expecting to shoot don't seem to be going away.
I am really bummed to have this issue when I am trying to get used to other more important things I want to be focusing on.
Respectfully,
Marc

Old 02-09-2006, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Steve, I have seen it and never even thought or know anything about it. So I know the Diopter exists but instructions don't even consider it a part of the camera?
So like Glasses, what should I be looking for?
Any more info on this one?
Thanks for helping and I would like to know more.
Respectfully,
Marc

Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Ajay, Thanks so much for responding. So explain to me what I am looking for? When I shoot a model and look at the image right out of the camera it is slightly blurry-you are right.
I want to see the light box in her eye like a mirror-that is what I want.
The box in the pupil is faintly blurry and this is what is bothering me.
Can you explaing and in the instructions they say there is the sharpness adjustment in the camera operation? Should I be looking at that as my resolution maybe?
Any advise?
TSG