Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Strip light pictures wanted / Interfit
Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43515
Comments: 0

DHDSP is offline IP: 80.69.192.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi fellow GG'rs ...

I'm still in the beginning of completing my home studio setup.
At the moment I have a softbox (24x36in), 2 umbrellas, a 10 degree grid and some reflectors.

Now I am about to order 2 interfit striplights 16x47in from ad*rama for my bees, as they are the cheapest i could find with optional honeycomb grids...

Is this a good choice? And what will I be able to do with them?
Do I need 2 striplights to get nice highlighting on legs , for example ?

I would love to see some pictures using (mainly) strip lights ...

TIA
Peter
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DHDSP Find More Posts by DHDSP

Re: Strip light pictures wanted / Interfit
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Peter,

I have a single Interfit strip in the same size for my Alien Bees. I tend to use it for accent or background lighting favoring my Octobox, 36x48" photoflex, and beauty dish for key lights. It's a great box and built pretty tough. Just make sure you get the correct speed ring from Patterson/Interfit. The one they make for the Paul Buff White Lightnings will NOT fit the Bees. You need to get the Balcar version. I believe that Don made the same mistake I did and had to return the WL version in favor of the Balcar.

Cheers,
Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 02-06-2006, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

shot these with the paterson strip light. camera left...slightly behind the model...so far for the price I have no complaints and
Scott helped me out on deciding on buying one!

Old 02-07-2006, 03:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I love those pictures Don. Could it be that they are influenced by jimmy ?
Are you using the same type of lighting ?

But I've been a "fan" of u since i saw your pictures improve so fast... It made my decision a LOT easier , starting studio photography myself! (And spending that much money)
DeAnn developed her skills as fast as you did, and that probably makes you 2 so interesting for me.

Did u ever miss a second striplight ? I am trying to decide if I need to buy a second strip - or save the money for an octadome or beauty dish ...
Like full length leg pictures ?

Btw. I don't really know what a beauty dish does , i mean why are some people using salad bowls and stuff, instead of using ik*a kitchen lamp or other lamp refelctors.
They had parabolic ones , some time ago (I remember because I used one for transmitting a radio signal at 10 GHZ). But this is worth another thread I think.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Could it be that they are influenced by jimmy ?

[/ QUOTE ]

You bet your butt they are..I've always admired how Jimmy lights his subjects and believe me he's given me enough advice to fill a book!! Now I dont want to steal Jimmys style,but the way he lights just has a great polish to it that catches the eye everytime. I get bored pretty easily with shooting the same old lighting over and over again..so now that I've been taught the basics, its time to experiment again and come up with something different.
However If my experiments fail I have a new technique that I can fall back on!
thanks to Jimmy!

[ QUOTE ]
But I've been a "fan" of u since i saw your pictures improve so fast... It made my decision a LOT easier , starting studio photography myself! (And spending that much money)
DeAnn developed her skills as fast as you did, and that probably makes you 2 so interesting for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the compliments, DeAnn really enjoys the modeling, but only does it for a hobby and to help me out with learning she's really sacrificed alot for me and put up with with alot of criticism be it good or bad, but end the long run I think it helped and really shows in her images.

[ QUOTE ]
Did u ever miss a second striplight ? I am trying to decide if I need to buy a second strip - or save the money for an octadome or beauty dish ...
Like full length leg pictures ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to have a second strip light and a better way to control my hair light. I have a 30x40 softbox and my homemade Beauty Dish..I'd say my beauty dish gets alot more work than my softbox does...I like the way the light falls off with it better than the softbox. so I have my main light covered, the rest I want to add for polish!

Hope I answered some of your questions.

Thanks again for the kind words!!
Don.

P.S. this was done with a striplight,a 10 degree spot grid for main, and a hairlight.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 206.255.19.226

Ok I have to ask since I'm not finding much.

What is a strip light?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 02-07-2006, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I have to ask since I'm not finding much.

What is a strip light?

[/ QUOTE ]

its a magical light that makes women instantly remove thier clothing to tacky music!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Actually its a Softbox that is thin and tall...sometimes called a strip dome,strip box...

Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
I've always admired how Jimmy lights his subjects and believe me he's given me enough advice to fill a book!! Now I dont want to steal Jimmys style,but the way he lights just has a great polish to it that catches the eye everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd buy the book instantly. Seriously, is it possible to share the "secrets"?
Like how the pictures above were lighted? Maybe including f-stops?

I've been reading a lot about lighting, but most books just aren't practical enough.