Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color management question..
Old 01-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Searched the form some for the answer, but must not have searched for the right thing...

This is driving me nuts, maybe one of y'all can help. I'm using Adobe PS CS2 and Adobe Bridge. So lets say I follow these steps:

From Bridge I open a RAW file with Camera Raw
Make adjustments, and "Open" in PS in Adobe RGB, 16 bit.
Perform various editing until the pic looks good (at least to me)
Convert to profile "sRGB"
Change it to 8 bit mode.
Save it as a JPG.

So now if I call that JPG up in non-color managed space, like a browser, and compare it to the same file as displayed in PS, the browser version will be much more magenta and contrasty than the PS version of the same file.

I hadn't noticed this problem until recently. Is this an indication that it's time to spring for a Macbeth Eye-One or something similar? I'm not sure if I've got something set wrong in PS, or if I've just become more sensitive to the differene in color.

Help? Anybody?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Re: Color management question..
Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 71.56.66.117

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Use ImageReady to finalize your web files for the internet.

I do what you do but I resize my image to what I want at 72 dpi then import it into ImageReady make my final saturation/contrast adjustment then save it as an optimized .jpeg for the use on the internet.

hope this helps.

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

I do that same procedure every day but haven't gotten the magenta cast... but I've heard of this before. I just did an image with very little color using the exact procedure you wrote; it should have a slightly yellow cast. Take a look and see if it looks magenta on your monitor...

When you convert to sRGB, which rendering intent are you selecting?

Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 01-21-2006, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48382

MikeInOz is offline IP: 203.171.94.141

Make sure you aren't working with "View->Proof Colors" switched on. That will cause all sorts of problems depending on what you have "View->Proof Setup" set to. For example, if I have "View->Proof Colors" on and "View->Proof Setup" set to the profile of my local photo lab, and colour balance so it looks good on my screen, it will come out too green if I output in sRGB.

It's easy to accidently set "View->Proof Colors" on by pressing Ctrl+Y (Cmd+Y).

-Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MikeInOz Find More Posts by MikeInOz

Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks to all who responded. I'll keep fighting with it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 01-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.236.136

http://www.smugmug.com/help/srgb-versus-adobe-rgb-1998
this is a good read

Why do you shoot in Adobe and then convert to sRGB? Would it not be easier to shoot sRGB and stay in that color mode?

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 01-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you shoot in Adobe and then convert to sRGB? Would it not be easier to shoot sRGB and stay in that color mode?

-joshua

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose, but since my original post I've tried importing sRGB 8 bit files into PS, then saving as a JPG, but the problem persists. The image will still look differnent in a browser window compared to the PS window. It's making me crazy.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.239.205.110

[ QUOTE ]
So now if I call that JPG up in non-color managed space

[/ QUOTE ] There's your answer. In Photoshop, it is color managed with whatever profile you saved in photoshop, but the browser isn't color managed. One thing I learned while working in the Electronic Pre-Press dept where I spent 40 hours a week dealing with color corrections, and management, here's something that might help you in the future, try saving your files as an .eps or photoshop file in where you don't have, or much better compression than a jpeg file, and it you can save the profile embedded in the file. Hope this helps.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 01-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
try saving your files as an .eps or photoshop file in where you don't have, or much better compression than a jpeg file, and it you can save the profile embedded in the file. Hope this helps.

Isaiah Brink

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm... I didn't realize you could display an .eps file on the internet and achieve the color management. I was under the impression browsers didn't use color management even if a profile was imbedded (at least on PCs). I always keep the original in PSD format, but I use .jpg format to display them here, there, and in e-mail. Seems like it should be possible to make the JPGs look like the PSD file, since I've exchanged PMs with people who shot in aRGB and don't have this problem.

I think your answer is right though. I don't remember ever setting any .ICC file for the monitor in PS, so it must be using a default. Apparently whatever it's using is wrong, and it's causing me to produce pictures that have too much magenta in them, since they look just fine and natural in the "color managed" space. I just ordered a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One, hopefully that will help generate an accurate profile.

Here is one of the pictures in question. Here, to me, she looks a little sunburned and pretty contrasty. In the PSD file she has a more natural looking tan, less contrast, and her suit is more on the yellow side of orange:

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that the profile PS is using for my monitor is wrong, and my best solution is to calibrate the monitor, which sadly means spending money on it, but that's just the way these things seem to go. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.239.205.110

From what I understand, .eps files can't be displayed on the net. I believe that where your problem is in the fact that when you get it looking correctly in Photoshop, it is using the color profile while even photoshop's browser, along with IE does not use the profile, hence the difference. Calibrating your monitor is always a great idea, something that most of us need to do. You can also calibrate it with the adobe gamma settings in your control panel, but the calibrator that you have on order, will do a much better job, at least it should. Best of luck.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink