Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Rethinking a 20D in favor for a 10D...comments?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Although the 5D has been out for a while now I'm not seeing a flood of used 20Ds out there and those few I've seen are still up there in price. Near enough to consider new instead of used.

However the 10Ds seem to be appearing used at half the price of the 20Ds. I'm seriously thinking of changing my mind on the 20D now.

So, are there any MAJOR faults with the 10D that would make me change my mind back to the 20D and the higher price?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Rethinking a 20D in favor for a 10D...comments?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.152.131

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well,...that's what Andy M did.. I "heard" the he didn't care for the AF point coverage.. oh well..

Yes,...if your needs can be met well enough at the present time,...then the 10D is a very good choice.....regardless of how much I hated mine that I was actually considering using it as target practice with the ol' AR-15,...to demonstrait that just because it is made of the same types of materials that found in armoured items,...doesn't mean that it could stop a few rifeled bullets.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I ended up selling it to a friend who left his camera bag in his trunk to have some dumb lady plow into the back end of his car, destroying his 10D, and other stuff.....so, I guess his little unfortunate event showed that the 10D isn't crush proof either..

I tell you what though....the 20D is by far a much better camera than the 10D!

BUT,...hold your horses... Canon is coming out with a new "Elan" class camera....we should hear something at PMA,..or just prior.. The Elan class is the 20D/ 10D/ D60/ D30 It'll be a 1.6 format camera, with a larger rear LCD..and a bunch of other nifty new features...not a huge upgrade,..but a nice one..

JP

Old 01-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

Hey, if you really want to save some cash, I've got a D60 I'm getting ready to put on ebay. It's a perfectly capable camera, depending on what you want to do with it. It does have limitations when compared to the 10D or 20D, but it takes perfectly damn nice pics.

You can save a bunch of money by staying a step or two behind the latest technology. The latest 'n greatest always comes at a bit of a premium, and unless you can articulate a good reason why only the latest thing will fill your needs, a step back might serve you just as well. Personally, I just took advantage of the recent dip in the price (and rebate) of the 20D, since there's likely a replacement on the horizon. Most speculation is that it will be a 1.6 crop, 2.5 LCD, 10-11 megapixel (to compete with the D200, but not the 5D), and prolly a better AF system, and priced at $1500 to $1600. Not enough of a jump up to make the price difference worth it to me.

If I remember the thread correctly, the reason Andy McFarland upgraded out of the D60 to the 10D was because the shutter in his D60 finally broke, and it wasn't economically viable to repair the D60. I believe he bought a used 10D and certainly seems to do quite well with it. A lot of us wish we could shoot swimwear half as well.

Anyway, my point is that there's no reason not to save a little cash and use dated equipment. For me, I shoot weddings and the D60 struggles to focus in low light. It's TTL flash metering is kind of tricky as well. In fact, I'll come right out and say it's not a good camera for wedding and low light event work. So I spent some $$ on the 20D to get the better AF and ETTL II flash metering.

I'm rambling. To answer your original question: As far as I know the major differences between the 10D and 20D is pixel count, a finer LCD screen, faster CF write speeds, a tweak to the AF system, and ETTL-II. Depending on what you're shooting, it may not be a big enough difference to justify the money.

Have fun shopping!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 01-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.99.116.139

I like my 10D. I have never considered the 20D a good upgrade for me from the 10D, but it does have some compelling features:

1. Lower noise in higher ISO settings
2. 8.2 MP
3. Improved battery life (although the 10D isn't bad here)

I'm going to wait for the next iteration. I'm guessing there will be something like a 30D some time soon.

Hope this helps.

Here's one I did over the weekend with my 10D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Old 01-17-2006, 03:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42503
Send a message via AIM to insanepinoy

insanepinoy is offline IP: 69.104.176.27

[ QUOTE ]

So, are there any MAJOR faults with the 10D that would make me change my mind back to the 20D and the higher price?

[/ QUOTE ]

No faults here! Had mine for about half a year now. Got it when the 20d was pretty new on the market [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] A good lens and you'll get some quality stuff [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Old 01-24-2006, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37438

yancey is offline IP: 24.214.88.150

I agree with all the aforementioned reasons for the 20D over the 10D and would add two more that always annoyed me when using the 10D - the 20D seems to have a much brighter viewfinder and a significantly faster startup time.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to yancey Visit yancey's homepage! Find More Posts by yancey

Old 01-25-2006, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Perhaps there will be a newer model announced at the PMA? I've heard rumors (take them or leave them) that there will be something in competition with the Nikon D200 (?...I don't shoot Nikon, I'm probably wrong on the model name). So perhaps the 20D will come down even further in price? My favorite camera store has it at $1599 Canadian for body only. This is substantially less than what it first came out at. Nearly reachable for me but still a few months and a few paychecks away. But I'll have it by summer...just in time for Bikinis...YES! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I do know that there are good images being done with the 10D and I also know of the limitations. However the used ones that I've been watching on eBay are typically going for about 1/2 the current cost of the 20D. So you can imagine my dilema...save money and get less than I'd desire or wait, wait, wait until the money is there for the 20D...only to be seduced by whatever comes in March?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 01-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

Just speaking for myself... I've discovered that in the long run it's better for me to just suck it up and buy whatever thing it is that I really want, rather than compromise and buy the cheaper thing I'm not completely happy with. Every time I do that I end up eventually buying the better one anyway and thus ending up lighter in the wallet for the trouble.

If you really feel like you won't be happy with less than the 20D, then wait until you can get your hands on one. If a new camera comes out then there will be lots of used 20Ds on the market due to all the equipment hounds that must have the latest and greatest thing, regardless of cost.

View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 01-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

i have a 20d and a 10d. my 10d has been relegated to back-up position in the line-up... and ocassionally as a pinch hitter. i'm hoping to get a 5d soon and then the 20d will be the back-up and i'll either sell the 10d or give it to my daughter. (she has a digital rebel and is a serious hobbyist and does some p/t work shooting weddings and moms with new babies and that sort of stuff.)

the 20d, IMO, is way superior to the 10d in many ways. and not just cuz of the increase in pixels. i noticed right away that the images had better resolution. ergonomically, the camera feels better in my hands. one of the really big things that bugged the crap out of me with the 10d was the delay in tart-up time. everytime the damn thing went to standby it seemed like it took forever for it to come back to life. very annoying when shooting.

but, the 10d is a fine camera. and you can capture some great images with it. so i'm not bad-mouthing it. i just don't hold it in the same esteem as i do the 20d.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

PMA
Old 01-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35200
My Mood:

bsphoto is offline IP: 69.133.52.97

With the PMA tradeshow next month, I'd wait. Then maybe you can pick up a used 20D when Canon brings out its next new thing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bsphoto Visit bsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by bsphoto