Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Need Computer Geek help...garbled folder/file names...
Old 01-16-2006, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This weekend my computer froze solid on me a couple of times and somewhere in the warm and cold boots my main drive (120gigs all one partition) got nearly totally screwed up. A good 75% of my folders and files suddenly had garbage characters for names and extensions and dates that are way off (some look they are supposed to be either 1924 or 2024). I'm not sure what happened but the drive didn't die (I'm seeing this site on IE installed on it), I can only surmise that some system file (registry issue?) got semi corrupted. Of course I can't get into any of these files so I have no idea what is what anymore.

I haven't chkdsk it yet, in the hopes that there is a fix to this. All I really want to do is to get to my wife's photos (which are seemingly vapour now) so I can copy them over to another drive. I plan on reformatting and reinstalling as this drive was a dog's breakfast when the crash happened.

So can I fix this...or am I screwed?

(A valuable lesson learned in doing backups...sigh!)

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Need Computer Geek help...garbled folder/file names...
Old 01-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

what are you running ? XP I hope. This is what I would do if running xp. Go to restore and go back a week or two from when you started having trouble. Make that your set point and restore it back to that time. If it is windows 98 go and just reinstall your windows 98 operating system ..* Do not * reformat the drive..

Lets hear what others say about it..And if you don't you want to do this give the pc to a person who knows how to fix it.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 01-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.144.57.93

OK, that sucks but it's not over yet.

1.) You mention nothing about why all the freezing and warm/cold boots or if you run **Current** up to date anti-virus programs. If you were having unusual problems right before, it is highly likely you picked up a virus or a highjacker adware program. If you haven't done so and you can, run a current updated anti-virus program as well as a current anti-adware program (like Pest Patrol) to insure there are no lingering bad programs.

2.)Depending on operating system, follow the advice above for restoring the OS. Remember, it time consuming and not fun but Microsoft support gives you 5 free technical support calls on every operating system they sell. If you have any questions/doubts, call them and let them walk you through the issue and it's fix for the best possible chance of recovery. Don't even think of calling unless #1 is complete though.

3.)If this doesn't work, look up data recovery companies. Depending on the value of the data, your wife's pictures are special I'm sure, it may be worth it. It's not cheap but neither is divorce! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Good luck,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 01-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Do try the XP restore first, but if that doesn't fix things...it's probably a corrupt file allocation table (FAT, which is basically the index of your files). Google "recover corrupt pictures" and you'll find lots of tools that will search the drive for photos that are not found in the FAT. They all have trial versions, so try them until you find one that gets your pics back. As for other types of files...I'm not sure what to tell you there. This sucks, but good luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

I think the FAT is corrupted...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

...as I tried the restore trick back a few days before everything went 'poof'. No luck on that. And when I do a cold boot I get a message about the disk being a 'non-window XP disk'. I wonder if it could be that it's because I had formatted the disk with FAT32 instead of the NT?? allocations. I did that, way back when, because I had old software that I suspected wouldn't work within XP. Anyway, the drive was fairly old (computer on 24/7) and was getting worse and worse as time went on. Of course it didn't help matters to fill the sucker up (3gigs free from a 120gig drive). So I'm just going to go the new drive/reinstall route to begin and then reformat this drive to make it a secondary drive, instead.

However, I'll try your suggestion first to try to recover the wife's photos (she dabbles in photography and polaroid manipulations). THOSE are the most important stuff that is garbled. My photos, fortunately for the most part were undamaged. I've copied those over to another drive and will be burning them to CD/DVD as soon as I get the new drive up.

****ty way to learn (finally) that I need to do a backup regiment. Oh well, it's only Ones and Zeroes that are gone...not my family, my house, my work. So while it's painful to think of what is needed to be done, it's not life or death.

(Sometimes it pays to still be shooting film! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner