Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Can I really be this unlucky? :P
Old 01-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.187.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When I was doing my shoot Thursday, one of my Alien Bees died on me. Again. I made a shot, it fired, then it didn't come back on. I thought it was the modeling light at first, but turns out the whole thing was dying. It made this weird buzzing sound when I tried to fire it again, the strobe would pop the teeniest of pops, but most certainly not the amount it would be if it were working properly. Also, none of the lights on the back were on, either.

This is the second time this exact same problem has happened to me. Both times were right in the middle of a shoot, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Last time I had to send it back, so I guess I'll hafta do that this time, too. I know everyone else who has Bees has had nothing but good things come from them, so why am I this unlucky? Maybe karma's catching up with me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I've had my Dyna-Lites for several years and haven't had a single problem...

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Never had a problem with mine....
Old 01-14-2006, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42661
Comments: 0

MurphyMurphyStudios is offline IP: 66.32.203.125

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Maybe 'cause you live in TN, they save the "special" ones for you and send the good ones out of state???

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MurphyMurphyStudios Visit MurphyMurphyStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by MurphyMurphyStudios

Re: Never had a problem with mine....
Old 01-14-2006, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

I know, right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Lucky me!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Can I really be this unlucky? :P
Old 01-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

The bees are cheep but they work most of the time. I have had problems with the socket for the sink cord on two. I now started with 3 now I am down to one that still works.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 01-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Sorry to hear about your Bees woes too, but it's nice to see I'm not the only one having problems. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I really do think the Bees would be great for outdoors stuff, but I still prefer packs for indoors. I've had my eye on some Hensels for a while now...

Sam

Old 01-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Sam,

I blame the liberal media! Or is it the conservative spin-doctors...I can never remember.

I had one problem with one bee when I first bought them. Since I live literally a couple of miles from the factory I took it over and they handed me a new one with a smile. Since then my two AB800's and one 400 have had the living crap beat out of them by me, in and out of the studio and I have yet to have another issue.

So like I said...I blame Al Franken...or Rush Limbaugh...or one of those guys.

Good luck getting 'em fixed, broke gear sucks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Shannon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 01-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.126.152

If you had the problem twice in the same room and/or outlet, you might want to check your electrical. I have a travelite that used to just randomly pop on me that I ususally used in the same outlet. I got a new outlet checker and was going through checking outlets and found the one the travelite was hooked to had reversed polarity.

Just a thought.

Mark Oehler
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 01-14-2006, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Thanks Mark,

Man I wish it was that easy... Unfortunately this happened at two different locations... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2006, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Rush Limbaugh always did get on my nerves, so I don't mind blaming it on him. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I want to like these things, I really do, but I can feel my faith beginning to falter here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I guess third time's a charm, right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think (hope) I'm still under warranty, so hopefully I can replace it without paying for another one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I really like using them outside, and with the Vagaond, they're the only thing I can use outside right now.

You're absolutely right, though -- broke gear sucks big time!!!!!

Sam

Old 01-15-2006, 01:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49132

BluegrassImages is offline IP: 12.210.41.209

[ QUOTE ]
Both times were right in the middle of a shoot, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I gotta ask...did you expect them to die on you when you weren't using them? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BluegrassImages Find More Posts by BluegrassImages