Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
2 Pops..??
Old 01-06-2006, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.170.2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok.....to this very moment, I am trying to figure out what happened..

I am shooting with my 5D, and am doing one of these long exposure shots to burn the ambient light from something specific in the shot...and I am dragging out the shutter to about 1/6th of a second, and am plugged in to my strobes, and it didn't matter how I had my camera configured,...mirror locked up, or not,..self timer on or off,...single shot or continous,..I had my strobes pop twice! Once at the beginning of the exposure and once at the end of it.. Oh,...I even checked the CF's to see if anything was out of wack... I even changed the modefor the curtain sync by 1st or 2nd curtain too...and it still popped twice.. I tried shortening the exposure..and found that it didn't do that after about a 20th of a second,... but,...in my line of work, I am often shooting under 30ths of a second.....usually around 1 second to 1/15ths..and to have this thing pop twice like that is a real pisser....especially like in a situation like I had today... shooting a person who isn't a model, but a regular person who isn't the most photogenic....and having them move slightly in the picture and having this stupid thing make a "double exposure" so to speak..with the flash pops that is,... I ger a "ghosting" look....and I look real stupid in front of the client... $$#@@*&^%$$##!! I swear to god,...nothing ever goes my way!!

So, for those of you who think I am a "Fanboy" of Canon,....I'm not..

Right now,...I'm just a pissed off Canon fan..

JP [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Re: 2 Pops..??
Old 01-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Do both of your 5Ds do that (I think I remember that you have two, maybe not)?

Do your Mk2's do that (guessing not or you would have mentioned it)?

Curious indeed why it would send two "fire signals" to the strobes.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Do both of your 5Ds do that (I think I remember that you have two, maybe not)?

Do your Mk2's do that (guessing not or you would have mentioned it)?

Curious indeed why it would send two "fire signals" to the strobes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....good question..... it's easier to think after I grabbed something to munch.. Yep.........anyway,....nope,...I only have one 5D body.. (I have my eyes set on the "new" camera.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'll do a test with my 1D bodies tomorrow to see if it happens with those.. if not,... I wonder if this is a firmwear fixable type problem.. I am thinking it is...

I sure hope I don't have to send the thing away... The bad thing about having to take any body in for service,...is that they never come back the same again... Something is always messed up with them afterwards..almost all the time, the grip stuff on the camera never stays on quite right again..and or something else goes wrong.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Pardon me while I wine a little..

JP

Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49132
Comments: 0

BluegrassImages is offline IP: 12.210.41.209

What strobes are you plugged into and with what kind of connection?
Specifics could matter in diagnosis.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BluegrassImages Find More Posts by BluegrassImages

Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Maybe it's Casper again...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40936
Comments: 0

ToeJam is offline IP: 205.188.117.8

What are you doing when this happens? I had my strobes going off on their own when I was shooting some karate pictures with a wierd floor. It was before I went wireless and as near as I could figure it was caused by just enough static electricity generated by me when I touched the tripod, sync wire or light stand.
Didn't cause any real problems just sort of freaked me out a little bit. Since I have been using a MicroSync transmitter I haven't had it happen.

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ToeJam Find More Posts by ToeJam

Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.201.79

sounds very "Alien" to me...lol sorry...

do you use pocket wizards or just a straight wire?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Thank you \"twisted\"
Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thank you for the PM.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the advice.. I wish I could thank you in PM but your profile is set to not take any PM's..

JP

Old 01-06-2006, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
sounds very "Alien" to me...lol sorry...

do you use pocket wizards or just a straight wire?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I have the problem under control now..

It's a goofy camera thingy..

JP

Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
What are you doing when this happens? I had my strobes going off on their own when I was shooting some karate pictures with a wierd floor. It was before I went wireless and as near as I could figure it was caused by just enough static electricity generated by me when I touched the tripod, sync wire or light stand.
Didn't cause any real problems just sort of freaked me out a little bit. Since I have been using a MicroSync transmitter I haven't had it happen.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope,...nothing like that,... I believe it's all taken care of..

T/y! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP