Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Soft Box and or reflector recommendations.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325
Comments: 0

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, I'm on a limited budget here. In the next 2 to 3 months I may be able to spring for 1 or 2 soft boxes and 1 or 2 reflectors.
My light system is Novatron, but I actually enjoy natural light better or should I say more experienced with it.
Is there actually a preferred soft box that works better with one system over another?

Thanks,
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Re: Soft Box and or reflector recommendations.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45608
Comments: 3

Brad is offline IP: 70.119.153.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It seems so many here use the AlienBees as they offer a lot of bang for the buc. I still have my Novatron system but have outgrown it now. I would check out the Bees site, www.alienbees.com

Brad
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Old 12-31-2005, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.83

Thanks for the link I'll check them. Do you know off hand if those rings fit Novatron or would I need some kind of universal type ring. I'm still inexperienced with some of this. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

If you already have Novatrons and they still work, then they'll work just fine with any softbox. I've been using the same 4 head Novatron setup since the late 70's and they still work just fine. You have to do a little more work to setup lighting ratios, however.

I use the Amvona Softboxes which are very sturdy and heat resistant, so you can use hot lights with them. They also have vents. If you watch their eBay auctions you can often pick up a large softbox for under $100. They also have good deals on reflectors from time to time. You'll have to get the appropriate speedring to go with the box.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

I think Brad might have been a bit confused when he replied to you... you've already got the lights, and now you just need the softbox, right?

Just to get it out of the way... Alien Bees (Paul Buff, Inc.) accessories do not fit on Novatron heads. Different sizes.

Photoflex offers a complete line of softboxes that are reasonably priced, built well, and will fit the Novatrons with the appropriate speed ring (and adapter that fits different heads, allows you to turn the box from horizontal to vertical, and all angles in between).

Photoflex web site - has some interesting "how to" lessons as well as lots of goodies

I've been using a large Multidome box for over 15 years, now, and with all of the packing, unpacking, setup, teardown and ignoring it in the carrytube for years at a time, it's still working just fine. Consider that an unmitigated endorsement.

There are other softbox manufacturers out there.. including the no-name or off-brand. Some will steer you to places like Amvona, which sells primarily online through eBay... after seeing a couple of their softboxes (and this applies generally to the off-brand stuff) think about how long you might want to use the equipment and invest accordingly.

Good luck and enjoy shopping!

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Speedrings are available at www.bhphoto.com. You may find that the Bees have a lot more power and therefore, more flexible for down the road use. Since Novatron "kits" equally divided there power by all the available channels (I assume four), you only ever get 1/4 the power noted on the transformer. Before you take a jump into softboxes (you will lose two F stops once in the box!) for an underpowered system, you might be best off to consider changing lights as well. You'd hate to add the softbox and speedring only to find it won't work once assembled.

Personally, I use PhotoGenic lights (a minimum of 500 WS UV coated) with silver coated 36 x 48 PhotoFlex boxes to keep up the contrast while providing the right color temp for digital photos.

Good luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 24.17.103.235

Here is one source on eBay for soft boxes and reflectors. I have been using a 42" 5 in 1 reflector from here for a couple of years and have been satisfied.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

I use PhotoGenic and Photoflex. Check out their website.

Terry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 12-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

The original poster clearly indicated that he didn't have a lot to spend, and it didn't sound like he would be able to buy new lights and softboxes and reflectors. The Bees are great lights, but the Novatrons will work just fine as many of us can attest. The Novatron set I use has 440WS and I event when I put one of the heads in the softbox, I almost always have to stop the power down in the studio. So I think the original posters idea of just adding softboxes and reflectors to his existing lights makes more sense, especially if he's on a budget. Afterall, you can't spend the money unless you have it to spend. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

I knew he already had the lights by the way Just thinking if it's a 100WS head, a softbox may take away too much light and upgrading the heads may be needed. I had to upgrade my Novatron lights once I upgraded to a big softbox.

I really wanted to just add a speedring and softbox but didn't want to spend and re-spend.

Keep smiling