Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Canon Advice Needed
Old 12-31-2005, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45608
Comments: 3

Brad is offline IP: 70.119.153.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

O.k. I know this has been a probably beat into the ground thing already, but I am considering making the jump! That's right, from my beloved Nikon to Canon. I have been shooting Nikon for years and years and loved their equipment! Once digital files became the rage, I rushed out and blew $2,500 more on a Nikon film scanner. Last year, I switch from my F5 to the latest and greatest Nikon D2X and have been wondering.... Should I have spent the extra $5,000 on the body or moved to an $8,000 body with Canon? Well, after shooting for a few months now, I have begun to really question my decision. Since the D2X was not available locally, I had to order it from B&H without being able to try it out first. My issues are this: Full Frame look and feel, color blends at gradient points, and too much noise at high ISO. I think all of the Canon Pro cameras produce very clean images but what about noise at high ISO? I am thinking I need to jump to the Mark II DS for $8,000 bucks but have been told it picks up more noise at high ISO than the 5D. Is this true? Do I need to have two Canons to get both full frame (shallow DOF and high detail) and another for low light (ISO 800-1600)? If the Mark II DS will preform just as well as any other Canon at high ISO (low light) then please tell me where to send my $8,000 plus lens. I can't wait to move up from F2.8 to F2.0 or F1.8 lenses. Image stabilization here we come.

All that being said, I think Nikon has the upper hand VS Canon in a few key points. The rear screen of the D2X is 100% better than the Canon. The ergonomics of the Nikon is better. The Nikon on screen options and adjustments are better. All being said, it's the final image that is all that matters. Too bad whistles and bells don't help the final image.

Nikon - If your ever gonna stay in business, dump the DX lens and 1.5 conversion factor. Your days are numbered if you stay the course.
Picture here taken with my Favorite F5 at 2.8.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Re: Cannon Advise Needed
Old 12-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Opps... Advice..... Damn spell check!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Re: Canon Advice Needed
Old 12-31-2005, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Now why are there two NN's in Canon showing?

Re: Cannon Advice Needed
Old 12-31-2005, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.144.60.131

Brad,

You are a great photographer and will make great images with either system. Sometimes I think we become too focused on what a new piece of equipment might do to solve our image dissatisfaction rather than leaning how to make the stuff we have work better, I know I do. Something about he who dies with the most toys wins I think. There's a link you should read if you're thinking about a Mark II and 5 D as everyday tools, http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/1504 It highlights some of the challenges with that choice.

I use an F5 and, since I am not making a living at this, just ordred a D200. So, I might be bias to Nikon but I would tell you I don't think either system is better, it's simply what works best for you. RG uses Olympus I notice and he obviously makes great images with that system. If I'm not mistaken, it's a 4/3 sensor which is nowhere near full frame like Canons.

My humble advice (you asked) is, spend the learning curve time it would take to learn a new camera system figuring out how to get the D2X to do what you want, and it will if other professionals are any indication. Spend the money on anything else that would help you get there. Good luck wrestling with your decision.

LSC [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Re: Cannon Advice Needed
Old 12-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

LSC,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I may be buying a Canon 5D and keep the Nikon. Since the Nikon is a much faster machine and the Canon is full frame, I may have the best of both worlds. I'll wait until PMA and get a chance to play with everything there. Who knows... Maybe I'll run our of money before anything changes.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

Brad,

As you know I shoot with a Canon 20D. I started out with a Sony then to Olympus, played around with a Nikon and finally ended up with a Canon 10D and have upgraded to the 20D. I think Canon has some of the finest lenses in the world. I like the idea of a full frame but to me it's not that big of a deal. With camera manufactures it seems to be tit for tat and one up on you game. I have seen some of your posts and you have great images. Like you I am want to get better. The more I shoot the more I learn the better I become. As I look over the posts I see great images shot with all types of cameras.If I had the desire I think I would opt for the 5D.

Terry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 12-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43784

tmshots is offline IP: 24.22.50.66

Well, I have seen the Mark II in action. Havent seen the 5d though so cant help you there, shooting with a 20D I cant even compare with the 5D or the Mark II. But From what I know of the mark II it is an awsome camera. Holds different from the Nikon though so that will be odd for you. My friend and I are always going on about who's better Nikon or Canon, but its preference. I think B&H is a good store and if you decide to upgrade they will gladly help you out there. Just take it out right away and compairison shoot the heck outa it with different senarios and see what you think of it, if you dont like it then there is your answer. Oh even better, if you dont like it you can send it to me and get yourself something better [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tmshots Visit tmshots's homepage! Find More Posts by tmshots

Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.172.50

[ QUOTE ]
O.k. I know this has been a probably beat into the ground thing already, but I am considering making the jump! That's right, from my beloved Nikon to Canon. I have been shooting Nikon for years and years and loved their equipment! Once digital files became the rage, I rushed out and blew $2,500 more on a Nikon film scanner. Last year, I switch from my F5 to the latest and greatest Nikon D2X and have been wondering.... Should I have spent the extra $5,000 on the body or moved to an $8,000 body with Canon? Well, after shooting for a few months now, I have begun to really question my decision. Since the D2X was not available locally, I had to order it from B&H without being able to try it out first. My issues are this: Full Frame look and feel, color blends at gradient points, and too much noise at high ISO. I think all of the Canon Pro cameras produce very clean images but what about noise at high ISO? I am thinking I need to jump to the Mark II DS for $8,000 bucks but have been told it picks up more noise at high ISO than the 5D. Is this true? Do I need to have two Canons to get both full frame (shallow DOF and high detail) and another for low light (ISO 800-1600)? If the Mark II DS will preform just as well as any other Canon at high ISO (low light) then please tell me where to send my $8,000 plus lens. I can't wait to move up from F2.8 to F2.0 or F1.8 lenses. Image stabilization here we come.

All that being said, I think Nikon has the upper hand VS Canon in a few key points. The rear screen of the D2X is 100% better than the Canon. The ergonomics of the Nikon is better. The Nikon on screen options and adjustments are better. All being said, it's the final image that is all that matters. Too bad whistles and bells don't help the final image.

Nikon - If your ever gonna stay in business, dump the DX lens and 1.5 conversion factor. Your days are numbered if you stay the course.
Picture here taken with my Favorite F5 at 2.8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,....being a Canon owner who recently went "Full Frame" (again).. this time with the 5D.. The high iso noise on the 5D is better than any Nikon. That is indesputable.

The high iso noise on the 1DsMk2 is even better(slightly but noticably in test results) than the 5D.

I tell you,... I don't miss my 1.6 format cameras at all.. If the cost isn't a factor, then got for the best equipment you can afford.

The AF system is better on the 1DsMk2, the shutter lag is un-noticable compared to the 5D...the frame rate is a frame a second faster the buffer is pretty large and review time is hugely improved over the former 1Ds camera too...the flash top sync speed is higher by a 1/3 stop,..I have seen images under exposed by a stop at 3200iso..(6400 iso) and then brought up in PS a stop to pull a still acceptable image from the 1DsMk2.. It is built for longer lasting & harder professional use, along with the weather sealing.. The files are huge, and again, it's a full frame, not an APS sized sensor..like the 1.5 "apparent field of view"... For your line of work Brad,...I think you'd really appreciate using fast lenses with the 1DsMk2 body,...especially on large prints where it is very noticable side by side which I have seen..

That's the best right now..

Good luck with which ever you pic! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here is a FF crop with the 5D & 85mm lens@f2.8

JP

Old 12-31-2005, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Canon Convert

Member GG#: 35212
Send a message via AIM to gmohr Send a message via Yahoo to gmohr

gmohr is offline IP: 24.214.171.206

Brad,

I am one who has switched to Canon from Nikon. I bought a 5D, grip and L glass. My reasons were two fold: 1. The Full Frame affect. I was so
use to knowing what my lenses would do on my F5's and could never reproduce the results on the D1X or D70... Since switching I feel
like my results are back to what I was getting with the F5 and film. Depth of Field is now what I expect based on what aperature I am shooting at.
2. The feel of the camera in my hands. Just plain feels more ergonomic. Buttons and controls are easy to use.

This was a really hard decision for me as I have been a faithful Nikon shooter for years. But a friend said to find the gear that I was comfortable
with and my images would reflect that. Dang Chung Lee was right.

Remember.. it is not the equipment that creates the image.. it is the person behind the equipment.. and if you are not comfortable or confident in
what you are using then change. The D2X is a heck of a camera.. and had Nikon made the D200 Full Frame and a CMOS sensor... well.. lets just
say I would still be shooting Nikon.

Hope that Helps.

View Public Profile Send a private message to gmohr Visit gmohr's homepage! Find More Posts by gmohr

Old 12-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Gene,

Thank you so much for your post!

I have found a few sites that talk in detail about the D2X vs Mark II DS. As I look more and more into the issue, it looks as if both cameras have as many pro's as Con's. It looks like I'd be best to have one of each. One to hold a shallow DOF and wide angle, and one for long length sports and fast moving objects. I figure I'd take too much of a betting selling my F5, D2X and all those lenses on E-Bay anyway.

I may be looking at the D5 as a full frame option. It's too impractical for me to change lenses on one camera all the time anyway

http://www.bythom.com/d2xreview.htm
http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop...y07/essay.html