Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
5D vs D200
Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.155.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here is a site which shows IMO a pretty darn good side by side comparrison between the two bodies....not in some lab where the photographer is photographing test charts and still life shots on a table, but real people, in outdoor settings..

http://www.potatobear.com/ND200/D200F.htm

This is also a great demo. of the difference between "APS" sized sensors (specifically 1.5) & Full Frame sensors.. which can either make or break a photo , especially of people....like in "glamour photography"..

The test reveals that the D200 appears to have a slight edge in DR, while the 5D is better with noise, sharpness & detail right out of the box, in addition to better separation between subject, foreground & background.

I don't understand Japaneese text, but I believe the pictures speak for themselves..

For me,....heck, I'm just enjoying my 5D.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Enjoy which ever camera you use,...but be sure to pick the right one for the things you photograph.

JP

Re: 5D vs D200
Old 12-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48213
Comments: 0

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I beg to differ, but this is a pathetic side by side comparison by a so called real person reviewer....It appears to be no more than a botched attempt to knock the competition. I have never shot a 5D, but have shot a 20D, and it was a joy to use and produced excellent images. I am confident that the 5D is even better. I recently had the pleasure of shooting with a D200, and the images it produced were TACK SHARP right out of the camera, with no in camera sharpening. And to top it off, this so called real person used one the sharpest lenses Nikon has ever produced.......What a joke!!!!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Old 12-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.155.18

[ QUOTE ]
I beg to differ, but this is a pathetic side by side comparison by a so called real person reviewer....It appears to be no more than a botched attempt to knock the competition. I have never shot a 5D, but have shot a 20D, and it was a joy to use and produced excellent images. I am confident that the 5D is even better. I recently had the pleasure of shooting with a D200, and the images it produced were TACK SHARP right out of the camera, with no in camera sharpening. And to top it off, this so called real person used one the sharpest lenses Nikon has ever produced.......What a joke!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ with you..

After owning a pair of 20D bodies for a year, I bought a 5D body.

The images from the 5D body weren't slightly better by any means. They were HUGELY better.

BTW,......did you see the test between the 20D & the D200 on their site? Will you be suggesting that they made a "botched attempt to knock the competition"..(Canon)...& are a total joke after reviewing their results?

http://www.potatobear.com/ND200/D200G.htm

BTW, in the 5D vs D200 test, "the guy" used a 135mm f2.0 L lens for the Canon, which is one of Canon's sharpest lenses ever, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] They used the Nikon 85mm f1.4 lens for the D200.

I don't know guy,....it doesn't seem so lopsided to me..

JP

Old 12-27-2005, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Like I said, I am confident that the 5D is better than the 20D. It's two thousand dollars more, it should be! I looked at the site you posted by potatobear...the results are absurd...I have used the camera, have you? I have a D70, and it produces very sharp images, and the images I shot on the D200 blew it away. This is in no way a rebutle to you.....but to the joker who did the test. So don't take it, or make it personal...I'm sure there will plenty of results here on GG that speak for themselves, by more qualified people than that person....I am not one of those (I've got this camera and it's better than yours) type of guys! I buy what I can afford, and live with it.....Enjoy your new camera, I would!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Old 12-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Haven't we been through this debate before? I realize in this case we are speaking on a specific oinline comparison between a Canon and a Nikon camera, but it still boils down to the same thing.

A camera is a tool. The person behind that tool makes the difference.

I current have mostly Canon equipment, but throughout my career I've worked with Nikons, Minoltas, Mamiyas, Leicas and a host of others. Each model of camera was used to create newspaper images that later received awards. Was I incredibly fortunate in my camera selection? No. Was it how I used each one that made the difference? Yes.

And here's another thought to ponder that I believe was brought up when this subject was last broached (a month or so ago).

Camera Manufacturer "X" blows away competitor Manufacturer "Y" -- puts the suckers right out of business since their product line is so superior. Have we consumers gained anything because of this feat? Yep. A hefty price increase since there's no more competition. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hooray!

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 12-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

My eyes aren't as good as they were when I was young, but in the first comparison, it appears to me that the 5D is focused on the girl's ear and the D200 is focused on the leaf on the wall about 10 inches behind her.

She definately looks softer in the Nikon image, but the wall and branches look sharper.

Which picture shows the most accurate color representation of the actual shot ? You would have to be there to say for sure.

I'm glad you are happy with your new camera, we all make the best use of what we can afford.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 12-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.156.34

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, I am confident that the 5D is better than the 20D. It's two thousand dollars more, it should be! I looked at the site you posted by potatobear...the results are absurd...I have used the camera, have you? I have a D70, and it produces very sharp images, and the images I shot on the D200 blew it away. This is in no way a rebutle to you.....but to the joker who did the test. So don't take it, or make it personal...I'm sure there will plenty of results here on GG that speak for themselves, by more qualified people than that person....I am not one of those (I've got this camera and it's better than yours) type of guys! I buy what I can afford, and live with it.....Enjoy your new camera, I would!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on...

I have seen the same types of replies when someone says... I shoot with such & such a lens, and it is very sharp... until someone says,... I have used such & such lens, and it isn't nearly as sharp as the new one I bought,... then the other guy says,....well, how can that be? I used it for such a long time,..I have proof that the images from it come out sharp...and then they post some pics that they took with their lens that they hav their pride invested into,....that may have been altered a bit... and then the guy who says that the lens he uses isn't as nearly as sharp comes out with some side by side comparrisons, and it shows plain as day that the new lens is actually sharper... but, nothing seems to satisfy the guy who owns the other lens, because no matter what you show him,......the guy with the other lens "must have fudged the test.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Did you see their test between the D2x, the D200, and where they even tossed in a few shots from a Fuji S3, and a D100..? It looks like they weren't brand bashing there either..and the images look pretty consistant too... BTW,...in the 5D vs D200 test,....I can't see any "focus" problems.....everything appears to be focused on the very same spots.. What's your explination for that..?

JP

Old 12-27-2005, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't we been through this debate before? I realize in this case we are speaking on a specific oinline comparison between a Canon and a Nikon camera, but it still boils down to the same thing.

A camera is a tool. The person behind that tool makes the difference.

I current have mostly Canon equipment, but throughout my career I've worked with Nikons, Minoltas, Mamiyas, Leicas and a host of others. Each model of camera was used to create newspaper images that later received awards. Was I incredibly fortunate in my camera selection? No. Was it how I used each one that made the difference? Yes.

And here's another thought to ponder that I believe was brought up when this subject was last broached (a month or so ago).

Camera Manufacturer "X" blows away competitor Manufacturer "Y" -- puts the suckers right out of business since their product line is so superior. Have we consumers gained anything because of this feat? Yep. A hefty price increase since there's no more competition. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hooray!

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,.... I believe we all know that..... I however know that a lot of people wish to believe that their new camera model is better than any other out there.. I'm just showing an independent test that doesn't show a test of the same junk sitting on a table in studio lighting conditions like Phil Askey's tests..

I guess once Phil comes out with his indepth review, we will be seeing it all over again.. The reason why I bring this up is because if you look at the topics of discussion on this board, you will find several relating to the 5D & the D200.

JP

Old 12-27-2005, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
My eyes aren't as good as they were when I was young, but in the first comparison, it appears to me that the 5D is focused on the girl's ear and the D200 is focused on the leaf on the wall about 10 inches behind her.

She definately looks softer in the Nikon image, but the wall and branches look sharper.

Which picture shows the most accurate color representation of the actual shot ? You would have to be there to say for sure.

I'm glad you are happy with your new camera, we all make the best use of what we can afford.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding... Youy are suggesting that the leaf behind her head is sharper than her face..?

The backgrounds are sharper in all the pictures because of the "apparent field of view".. / cropping factor, which I have been reading on the various forums as being "better" than on any FF camera....apparently some people care more about what the picture looks like in the corners than what it looks like in the center, or in the backgrounds.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I see a much more aesthetically appealing picture of this person in all the shots taken with the 5D based on the shallower depth of field alone.. You see a leaf that is sharper than her face? Hmm.....when I look at the outfit she is wearing, that looks pretty sharp to me.. What's that look like to you..?

JP

Old 12-27-2005, 10:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

You seem to be taking my responce to someone elses review awfully personal...Are you potatobear? ha ha! I'm done with this...Carry on if you wish!