Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Infrared images for John Ford
Old 12-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.117.8

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A few weeks back I mentioned I had been high bidder for a Nikon D70 on eBay that had been modified to shoot infrared (the IR blocking filter over the sensor had been removed with a resin IR filter replacing it). John Ford, along with some other users, had some questions about it. Since I finally got time to test it out I figured I'd post some results.

I'd expected I'd have to make some exposure adjustments -- specifically opening the lens up a few f/stops -- when using the camera. Oddly enough though, it's the exact opposite -- typically -1 t0 -2 stops?!? Go figure.

The red images are how they come straight out of the camera and the b/w toned ones are after some slight (adjusted levels in Photoshop) corrections.

Looking forward to doing some model work with the camera when the weather warms up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Let me know what you think,
Dave

And since it's the holidays and all, here's a link to a large version of the canal and bridge image (#2 shown here). Feel free to download and print it if it strikes your fancy (one per customer please)! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

My Holiday Gift to My GG Friends
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Re: Infrared images for John Ford
Old 12-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Dave,
Glad the camera is working out. I will look forward to more pics from it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 12-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.240.17.79

Not quite like IR film, but does have that same eerie beauty, especially with foliage.

Lovely, lovely stuff - even such simple shots - takes on a rather different emphasis.

From a technical standpoint - it looks like you're getting almost all the information in the red channel, but a little in the green channel, and nearly nothing in the blue. Is that what your histograms show? Just nosy. [Actually, I was thinking that - if all the information were in one channel, it'd be an interesting programming exercise to write a program to convert the image to black and white while maintaining the same intensity magnitudes. But then I realized that the shades of red vary somewhat (at least on my screen).]

I can understand - phenomenologically - why you need to underexpose - the sensor is more sensitive to IR than the sensor used to determine the exposure. But that's not really saying anything worthwhile, IMO.

Again - nice stuff. I appreciate your sharing. Not sure I'll get one before I get a conventional DSLR, but it is interesting to see and to speculate on what's going on.

Happy Holidays, Dave.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 12-26-2005, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43102

Dalan is offline IP: 68.230.214.100

Cool! Very Cool!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dalan Visit Dalan's homepage! Find More Posts by Dalan

Old 12-26-2005, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Glad the camera is working out. I will look forward to more pics from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Ron. Wish I was still out west (I grew up in San Carlos in Northern Cali) so that I didn't have to wait out winter to get some folliage around here. But as soon as things start to bud, expect a bunch of infrared from me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 12-26-2005, 11:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
From a technical standpoint - it looks like you're getting almost all the information in the red channel, but a little in the green channel, and nearly nothing in the blue. Is that what your histograms show? Just nosy. [Actually, I was thinking that - if all the information were in one channel, it'd be an interesting programming exercise to write a program to convert the image to black and white while maintaining the same intensity magnitudes. But then I realized that the shades of red vary somewhat (at least on my screen).]

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure John. And it's never nosy to pursue knowlegde. Here's a look at both the historgram and how the channels breakdown in the untoned camera output. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand - phenomenologically - why you need to underexpose - the sensor is more sensitive to IR than the sensor used to determine the exposure. But that's not really saying anything worthwhile, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh -- of course! I hadn't considered that, John. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
Again - nice stuff. I appreciate your sharing. Not sure I'll get one before I get a conventional DSLR, but it is interesting to see and to speculate on what's going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to share John! Your interest and feedback is very much appreciated!

Have a Happy New Years!

Dave

Old 12-26-2005, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Cool! Very Cool!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Duane!

Dave

Old 12-27-2005, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.199.198

very cool, that opens up a ton of new ideas, nice work, keep them coming!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
very cool, that opens up a ton of new ideas, nice work, keep them coming!

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do Steven, and thanks!

Dave

Old 12-27-2005, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.237.49.215

Sweet! I've always loved infared images, the b&w ones better than the color ones (film based that is.) While these are the first I have seen from a digital camera, I am glad to see that it is not only possible, provides results similar to film, but some pretty cool results as well. Thanks for posting.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink