Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
An eBay find :-)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Even though I'm currently a Canon user equipment-wise, I saw this item offered on eBay and couldn't pass on bidding on it. Ever the Infrared shooter, this gadget is just what the doctor ordered ... lol

Sale became final yesterday and it (along with a Sigma 12-24mm lens) will be arriving tomorrow! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Item description via eBay ...

At auction is a fairly unique version of the Nikon D70 6.1 MP DSLR. It has been modified so it is now a dedicated infrared camera.

Normally, to take infrared photos, you must set up on a tripod, frame the shot, focus, attach an opaque filter in front of the lens, and bracket your exposures. Exposure times are very long because of the IR blocking hotmirror filter installed in front of the CCD. These long exposure times drastically increase noise levels, and run the risk of hot pixel problems with your CCD.

This D70 has been professionally modified to make infrared photography as easy as normal digital photography. The original filter in front of the CCD has been replaced with a resin IR Longpass filter (<700nm–it blocks most visible light, and only passes IR waves longer than 700nm or so). With the new IR filter in place, exposure times are no slower than you would expect with normal use of the camera (ISO 200, f/16, 1/200 sec outdoors). This means there is not the normal high noise level associated with IR photos. Additionally, you are able to use the viewfinder like normal for composing and taking your photos. No tripod is necessary for normal IR shots. No additional filter is needed on your lens.

Look for images from it as soon as winter breaks here in the frigid north ... lol

Hmmm ... maybe a trip to Florida or the Southwest might be in order before then!

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Re: An eBay find :-)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.240.100.16

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Congratulations on your find.

However, it's hard for me to understand how the exposures can be the same as for visible. I can understand how the built-in metering might still be accurate, but not the same.

Also, I'm kind of curious how it renders colors.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work with this beast.

Again, congrats.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 12-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations on your find.

However, it's hard for me to understand how the exposures can be the same as for visible. I can understand how the built-in metering might still be accurate, but not the same.

Also, I'm kind of curious how it renders colors.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work with this beast.

Again, congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, John.

I'm with you on the exposures being "the same" and chalked that up to the seller not understanding the process too well ... lol I'm assuming I'll have to adjust to what the meter reads (most likely +2-3 f/stops per exposure) but I'll have a better understanding of it when the gear is in my hands.

As far as colors, I'm pretty sure this camera will be like the Sony I have been working with in that regard. With the Sony, the output file is green tinted and I desaturate in PS and end up with a b/w image. From what I've seen on the Web, the Nikon images will come out red tinted, but the process after that will essentially be the same.

There is a way to swap channels to create a color looking image, but I've never been a fan of that look. If I do decide to go color with an image, I'll mimic the way I used to adjust IR film images -- hand color with Marshall Oils. Only in this case, I'd shoot a color reference image of the IR scene and sample my colors from it as I hand-toned it in Photoshop.

Thanks again, John!

Dave

Horse in field, just outside Zion National Park, Utah
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Re: FYI
Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.214.22

There is someone who modifies Canon D60's to do the same thing, I see them for sale over on the Fred Miranda forum once in a while...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 12-20-2005, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

Congratulations Dave,...bet you can't wait for spring,...hmmm, wonder what your xmas tree would look like [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Re: FYI
Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
There is someone who modifies Canon D60's to do the same thing, I see them for sale over on the Fred Miranda forum once in a while...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd come across that info a while back and the cost was higher than what I managed to get the Nikon D70 for. Would have been nice to keep it in the Canon family but, at the end of the day, the camera is just a tool in the process. I'm sure the D70 will be fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave

Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations Dave,...bet you can't wait for spring,...hmmm, wonder what your xmas tree would look like [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Now there's a thought! Thanks, Ron!

Dave