Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
UFOs
Old 12-19-2005, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46572
Comments: 0
My Mood:

kjtw is offline IP: 65.116.105.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Now, this is a horrible photo on a number of levels, but there is something in it that I have to ask about. I have had a number of photos show up out of my camera with these "UFOs" - Unidentified Floating Orbs - that I can't quite explain (at least to my satisfaction). I believe that it has something to do with the lights in the bg (the other times that it has happened has been with a somewhat reflective bg) but I am not totally sure. Regardless, these spots are always green and only seem to show up when I am using my 50mm lens. In your opinions, is it a lens issue or is it a bg thing...or could it be something else. For background, I use a Canon 20D, this photo using my EF 50mm f/1.4 lens. You can see the green spots just below the center of the photo the best in this shot.

View Public Profile Send a private message to kjtw Visit kjtw's homepage! Find More Posts by kjtw

those UFOs
Old 12-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 83.46.7.132

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

looking at the pix attached i would say it's due to the brighter lights and its refraction inside your lens. tis very common even in movies during night scenes. if you watch a dark scene with car headlights, you'll see the headlights and its refraction coming in the opposite direction.

i shoot a lot of sunsets and dat bright dot sometimes gives me refractions also. i try to control it by varying the angle of the lens to place the refraction where i can take it out easily or in a spot where it's less noticeable. then also there's some refractions where it looks nice and actually adds to the picture

good luck!!

Re: UFOs
Old 12-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.144.35.12

[ QUOTE ]
I believe that it has something to do with the lights in the bg (the other times that it has happened has been with a somewhat reflective bg) but I am not totally sure. Regardless, these spots are always green and only seem to show up when I am using my 50mm lens.

[/ QUOTE ]

The spots may be some growth (fungus) in your lens and while always there, only show brightly with the backgrounds you are describing.

Luck,
LSC [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 12-19-2005, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

I know a bit about optics from the physical sense, but not too much photographically speaking. However,

[ QUOTE ]
only seem to show up when I am using my 50mm lens

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty strongly suggests that it's that specific lens.

[ QUOTE ]
these spots are always green

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty interesting to me. If they were internal reflections, I'd have expected them to vary according to what's causing the reflections, especially in shape, but also color. However, in the picture you posted, I noticed that the "triangle" of green spots (on sleeve of shirt, on shirt, on pants thigh) has another spot (little girl's toe) and what I think is a spot on the lower side of her ankle. This is a pretty good mirror image of some of the white tree lights - the triangle with a vertix at the man's shoulder and two lights straight above it.

If it were something on the lens - my first thought also - it should have the same pattern, regardless of the pattern of the light sources (unless you have a veil of fungus across a significant fraction of the lens surface). Does the arrange of spots change according to the lights in the background? If you rotate the camera at a fixed position, shooting the same image vertically and horizontally, what happens to the spot pattern? Also, in the raw, unshrunk, totally unmassaged (assuming a D20 allows you to get unmassaged data) version of the image - are the spots a single pixel each? In that same unmassaged image, are there "reflections" corresponding to the other white lights in this image?

View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38680

editbay is offline IP: 24.27.207.22

ok, now you will know I have too much time on my hands today. Anyways I dotted the ufos with red dots, fliped horizontally and vertically and they seem to line up with the brighter tree lights. In my humble opinion it may be bouncing off your filter ( if you are using one) if not then it must be the bio feed back converter in the hyper drive.
good luck,
robert
  View Public Profile Send a private message to editbay Visit editbay's homepage! Find More Posts by editbay

Old 12-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46572
My Mood:

kjtw is offline IP: 65.116.105.130

[ QUOTE ]
ok, now you will know I have too much time on my hands today. Anyways I dotted the ufos with red dots, fliped horizontally and vertically and they seem to line up with the brighter tree lights. In my humble opinion it may be bouncing off your filter ( if you are using one) if not then it must be the bio feed back converter in the hyper drive.
good luck,
robert

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly what I was thinking, but wanted to get someone else to say it to prove that I was not totally insane. I didn't figure there was something on the lens as it doesn't happen all the time. I do have a new filter on this lens and will be changing that (just a UV filter).

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it greatly!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kjtw Visit kjtw's homepage! Find More Posts by kjtw