Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
PAPER backdrops
Old 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 71.142.222.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

wow so i got stands, got a 9 foot roll... and started pulling the paper down.. and the weight of it send it spinning and WAY too much came off and got all wrinkled!!! it was the beginning of the roll so im not too worried. just wondering how the hell to deal with this stuff. any tips or tricks to rolling and unrolling paper to keep it clean and unwrinkled?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: PAPER backdrops
Old 12-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I hate when that happens!! I found it works best to use a small ladder and unroll the paper from the roll....instead of pulling down on the paper.

Don.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 70.149.220.247

Don't pull so fast - as Mae West said, "Anythng worth doing is worth doing slowly". If you roll the backdrop back on the roll, most of the wrinkles will flatten out, and if you throw the background out of focus with shallow depth of field, the wrinkles won't be visible anyway.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Here\'s what I do.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

1) Set up stands and set crossbar to minium height (i.e. do not extend uprights at all.)

2) Pull paper from storage tube, put paper on crossbar. Crossbar has two small A-clamps which live on each end. Clamp one end of paper with crossbar if necessary to stop it unrolling while preparing for step 3.

3) Go get gaffer tape which is used to secure paper to floor and stop it rolling up or moving. Remove clamp if in place. Take end of paper and roll it out to desired length on floor. Since paper is at minimum height, not enough is vertical to pull it around and start it falling. Tape end of paper to floor.

4) Roll out a little paper and start raising stands. If necessary, clamp paper as you walk back and forth between stands. Raise uppermost section of stand FIRST so you are always loosening and tightening sections at the bottom of the upright. When stands are at desired extension, clamp both ends.

This is the easiest way to do it by yourself. It seems like it would be a lot more work than just raising the paper and then rolling it down but, so long as you can extend the stands a foot or two at a time, you only have to make a few passes and it keeps you from rolling out any more paper than is absolutely necessary.

It just so happens that with my stands, in my studio, I can extend two sections fully and that's about the right height. So long as I make sure the stands are both opened to the same degree so the bases are at the same height, I don't have to worry about leveling. If I had to open a section partially, I'd make a mark on both stands to indicate where they should be extended to.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.170.129

It helps to have a helper... and to slowly pull it out.., but when working alone,... clamp the roll to the cross bar every foot or so, and tape the bottom edge, or apply weight to it from both sides as you inch it down..

I've had a few rolls in my early career become all wrinkled like that too.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The most important thing to watch out for is when you pull it out of the shipping tube...or when walking around with it.. that you don't bend it at all.. if it crimps in the middle, the whole roll is trashed,...unless you are willing to f-around with that later on in PS..

Also, store them upright, and if you have them on the background stand, every now and then turn the tube 180º so that it doesn't become warped in the middle.. ....they like to sag..

Have fun! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

I used to have the same problem but I solved it by unrolling the paper manually (rolling the paper out) and when it's to the length I want I use a clamp (just place it on the tube and near the upright) to hold it there. Another idea is to stuff the end the role with soft foam - it will slow the roll down.

Hope this helps... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

Depends, if you work alone in the studio its worth it to pickup a couple of bogen expan drives off ebay. They fit the roll tightly and have a plastic chain so you can control it precisely from the floor.

I generally use a stepladder and feed it from the roll in stages, securing it with a small pony clamp in the end while I pull it tight.

Watch out for the ends, if they get dinged, you have a wrinkled edge on the whole roll.

By the way, 1" emt conduit make a nice, cheap crossbar.

Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

and then when you\'re done....
Old 12-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.86

then begins the fun. This is much easier with an extra pair of hands, but it can be done by yourself. I usually cut off whatever is trashed on the paper like footprints (actually I leave a few inches because they'll be out of frame at the front edge of the paper next time I use it, and every inch counts!) and roll the paper from the front to under the crossbar (loosely) before I undo the A-clamp. Then I lower the verical stands slowly bit by bit one at a time, and as I'm walking from one side to the other, rolling the paper a little more (sometimes it will do it by itself from the curl) until I get the cross bar down to about shoulder height or a little lower. Then I undo the A-clamp and (holding the paper to keep it from unrolling) walk to the center and start to roll it up. The key to keeping the paper in good shape is to make sure the crossbar is dead level, to roll from the center, and roll as tightly as you can, keeping tension on the paper (which I do by sticking my hand in one end, and holding the roll while gently pulling on the front end of the paper after it's all rolled up. The tighter you can get it, the better. Then I wrap a piece of duct tape all the way around (some folks use several short strips) in the center, and ALWAYS store it vertically, and never on a horizontal cross bar, or you will get ripples. Make sure one person rolls the paper from the center, or it will shift to one side or the other.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 12-23-2005, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

Member GG#: 42709

StephenCMW is offline IP: 68.116.197.221

I have to agree about the racks with chains for managing the seamless. I have one that holds 4 rolls, each with its own color coded chain. I can easily just roll down what I need and roll it back up without any help. The one I use also have a way to adjust the tension on the roller/chain so that it won't roll down on its own.

Short of a rack that like, I used to just put a clamp on the roll once I got the proper length. It worked, but usually put a small dimple on the edge of the paper at that spot, but was never an issue.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW

One tip...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.250.224

I see a lot of people mention using tape to hold the paper from spilling off the roll, or after rolling the paper up to hold it from unrolling. That works, but it usually leaves marks where the tape is placed and can tear the paper when the tape is pulled off if the tape has been left on a while.

My solution is to use plastic work clamps. Menard's, Lowe's, and many other home improvement places have kits of plastic spring-loaded clamps for under $10. In fact, I see that Menard's has them on sale this week. You get about a dozen plastic spring-loaded clamps of several different sizes for $5.88.

After unreeling the paper stick a clamp on the ends of the roll and it won't unspool more paper. Roll the paper up and stick clamps in both ends and it won't unroll. Clamps are easier for me to deal with.

And the clamps have a lot of other uses...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak