Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
DOGME
Old 03-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35445
Comments: 0

jonsimpson is offline IP: 66.167.128.162

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I thought this might be an interesting thread. When I am trying to come up with new settings/ideas for shots.....I think of some of the things I don't want to shoot....sort of rules or DOGMA that I prescribe to in order to force myself to see things anew. I might get lax on some of them if there are special circumstances...something that makes the shot work.

Here are a few of my DOGMA rules....what are yours?

1)Look at "how to" glamour photography books from the 80s and avoid all the mock indoor sets that you see. (Levelor blinds, pool accessories, shiny airconditioning insulation)

2) No Victoria Secret angel wings shots.

3) No flag shots. American, foreign or confederate flag.

4) No southwestern style cowgirl shots.

5) No railroad tracks shots. (Unless there is something interesting about the environment....rainy slick day...etc...otherwise...it's been done)

6) Stroll by Glamour shots in the mall and study the sets and looks and promise to stay away from them at all costs.

7) Experiment with shadow...as well as light.

8) No shots of models holding art frames.

9) No shots of models with guns.....automatic or semi-automatic.

10) No models in handcuffs...tied up...shots.

11) No models on toilet shots.

12) No "american beauty" laying in roses shots.

13) No body painting shots.

14) Before heading out to a shoot.......look at portfolio and promise not to just do carbon copy shots of what you have already done. Quit falling back into the same poses that worked before. Try something else.

DOGMA
1 a : something held as an established opinion; especially : a definite authoritative tenet b : a code of such tenets c : a point of view or tenet put forth as authoritative without adequate grounds [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2 : a doctrine or body of doctrines concerning faith or morals formally stated and authoritatively proclaimed by a church
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jonsimpson Visit jonsimpson's homepage! Find More Posts by jonsimpson

Re: DOGME
Old 03-20-2003, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.63.231.170

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like your rules...except for the railroad tracks. There's some people I'd like to shoot there after the train has passed over them (lol).

It's really hard to come up with original ideas sometimes. However, when I look at the work of Raymond Kehoe, JT Smith, Rolando Gomez, Andy McFarland and many others on this board they consistently post images that look different, feel different, etc., even when the poses are somewhat similar to their previous work. The images outshine themselves.

I personally like to work animals and other people...or parts of other people...into some of the images and shoot in places that are somewhat unique. Instead of shooting on the RR tracks for instance, go down to the station and get inside the train.

I admire the thought you have given this. It's important for every photographer to either make sure he stays imaginative with his images...or be sure each image has very limited distribution.

Someday, you ought to hand your model the camera and let her shoot YOU for a few hours and see what she comes up with.

Re: DOGME
Old 06-15-2003, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 12.238.95.197

I like a lot of the old style photo ideas. I think its nice to try and use those ideas, but find new ways to express them.

Here is an example.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Does this mean ...
Old 06-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35686
Comments: 0

riosun is offline IP: 65.125.81.66

... I have to wear the same outfits when the model shoots me?
It's just that I think Thongs make my butt look huge.....

Bruce, who has body issues to work out...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to riosun Visit riosun's homepage! Find More Posts by riosun