Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Am I goin nuts? (Sorry large files (2))
Old 11-28-2005, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812
Comments: 0

j4m3z is offline IP: 24.247.246.73

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Or are Canon histograms buggy? I took a light reading, opened the aperture up a bit cause I know my flash meter likes to under expose, checked the histogram on my 20D and it looked like this:

When I get home and pull up the images in any imaging program, the highlights are blown and the histogram looks like this:

Now the camera histograms look the same on my 20d and 300d and nothing blinks indicating washout. But in PS CS, PS 7, and MS Paint.NET the histograms all show a huge spike all the way on the right hand side. Alas I shot this jpeg. I do get a color shift when chosing "Save for Web" does that have anything to do with this? My color settings are sRGB all around. Help! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Obligitory pic from the shoot:

View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Re: Am I goin nuts? (Sorry large files (2))
Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It's difficult to say. The histogram on photo 1 is not the same histogram as photo 2, so I can't tell you very much. Are you certain that nothing has been done to the photo after you brought it into PS. Also the color cast of the images is quite different. Are you sure that your color settings in PS are sRGB?
Which version of PS are you using?
As far as Canon histograms go, they have always seemed quite accurate to me. I use the 20D. I calibrated my histogram to the one in Photoshop so that I would know what offset difference there would be. But by an large, for a JPG image, the two histograms should look the same, but may be offset to different locations. If you have anything that would be pure white in the image or a specular, then you would expect to see a spike on the extreme right.
Try drawing and oval around the face with a selection tool and then check the histogram and see if it still has the spike.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Well, you'll just have to take my word, they're the same file from the same CF card. No PS. The color shift is probably due to the different color temp of the CRT and LCD displays. The histograms look the same in PS CS and PS 7. My 20d firmware ver is 2.0.2 if that makes a difference. One thing I did notice was that the blue histogram looked more like the 20d's than the RGB. I selected the face and still had the spike. Well, this is the first time this has happened, so hopefully it's a fluke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Old 11-29-2005, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.92.150.46

unless you are shooting strictly for the web why are you shooting sRGB?

You are throwing away a lot of color information before you get to Photoshop.

If you want to most of your color(largest color gamut) you should shoot Adobe RGB.

From Wikipedia...

"An RGB color space is any additive color space based on the RGB color model.

RGB is shorthand for Red, Green, Blue.

RGB is a convenient color model for computer graphics because the human visual system works in a way that is similar - though not quite identical - to an RGB color space. The most commonly used RGB color spaces are sRGB and Adobe RGB, which has a significantly larger gamut than sRGB. Adobe has recently developed another color space called Adobe Wide Gamut RGB, which is even larger, in detriment of gamut density.

As of 2004, sRGB is by far the most commonly used RGB color space, particularly in consumer grade digital cameras, because it is considered adequate for most consumer applications, and its design simplifies previewing on the typical computer display. Adobe RGB is also being built into more medium-range digital cameras, and is favored by many professional graphic artists.

RGB spaces are generally specified by defining three primary colors and a white point. In the table below the three primary colors and white points for various RGB spaces are given. The primary colors are specified in terms of their CIE chromaticity coordinates (x,y)."

whereas this does not address your original issue, it might help with your color.

Regards,

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 11-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38692

gwphoto is offline IP: 216.87.68.83

I wonder if you calibrate your monitor with something like an Eye One system. Most consumer monitors tend to shift color faster than a very expensive monitor. I don't know if that would effect the histogram or not.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gwphoto Visit gwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by gwphoto

Old 11-29-2005, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Could you post a link to the unprocessed photo. I'd like to look at it. Then, perhaps I can tell you more.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Right now I'm trying to avoid color management. I really enjoy taking pictures, while color spaces and profiles strike me as quite boring. I try to use as little post processing as possible and seek to do as much as possible in the camera. I rarely print what I shoot but those that i do print turn out well. The more steps between me and an easily accessable image, the less likely I am to ever use that image. This is the same reason I don't shoot RAW, if I have to launch a RAW image browser I'll only look at the results of a shoot maybe 2 or 3 times.

I mentioned the "Save for Web" color/brightness shift because some one mentioned it here a while ago and a solution was posted, but I lost the thread, tried searching for it, but came up with nuthin. Essentially if I'm having issues with sRGB I don't think increasing the workflow complexity will help.

Quick question for you: How many images to you post for every one you print? For me I'd guess around 50:1. Then again, I don't own a photo printer.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

I don't think monitors effect histograms. Even so I use a Sony Trinitron Multiscan210GS (circa 1995) and I calibrated it using OS X's built-in utility.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Bare in mind it's an outtake I used as an example, but here it is in all it's unmodified glory:
http://www.aaaarrrgggggg.com/pics/IMG_9463.JPG

Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks, that makes it clear what is happening. You have clipped the Red channel. The histogram on the camera primarily deals only with the range of blacks to whites. Here is the histogram showing the colors and the red channel clipped:

Part of the problem is your White balance setting. When you have it set quit a bit off it is very easy to blow one of the channels.

Cheers,
rfs