Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Back up! Back up! Back up!! HELP!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have my images in a large folder with several subfolders 11.4GB worth...I need to back this folder up to CD's is there an automated way to back up large folders or am I going to have to split all this up???
HELP!!!

Don.

Re: Back up! Back up! Back up!! HELP!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994
Comments: 0

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You might just consider a small external hard drive with auto update software (they usually come with some) Small hard drives are less than $100 someties.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

The external hard drive approach is the simplest way to go. For under $100 you can usually get a 250gb USB drive if you watch the sales and ones with rebates. Then you just plug it in, and copy the folder over to it.

But if you want to backup to CD or DVD, you can use something like Norton Ghost which will divide it up into small sections and then you burn a CD or DVD of each, but it is going to take a long time.

You can also use something like NERO for backing up the entire folder to however many CDs or DVDs it will take. But it will take a long time for CD's and you'll have to keep coming back to put the next CD in and it is usually not wise to use your computer while burning CDs or DVDs. Also when backing up and spanning CD's you will often not be able to just go and recover 1 file or folder, but will have to restore the whole thing.

If you use the external hard drive approach, you'll have a backup that you can use anytime on any computer with USB and you can grab any file off that you want.

If you have a Fry's close at hand, they just had as of yesterday a 160GB external harddrive for $49 after a rebate.

Cheers,
Roger
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.134.191.35

Mr. Moyle and Mr. Smith both brought up some great solutions. I have a second hard drive that I use to back up my images. But, I still back them up to a cd. I don't use any software (other than the cd burning software) like Norton Ghost. I am not knocking it, but I burn the files directly as is onto a cd. Reason being is so if or when I do have a system crash, or a circumstance where I need to restore those files, I don't need to open up a program and then search for the cd they are on. Plus, I can then put them onto a new computer or hard drive without installing the software on that hd or system and worry about the license distribution thing. But with 11GB of images, you might want to get a DVD burner. An external might be the way to go. It gives you that portability, plus it won't go to waste when you get a new computer.

Isaiah Brink

P.S. - I just checked CompUSA's website, an external DVD burner goes for anywhere from $100 - $400, depending on what you want, need, speed, and all of that fun stuff.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 11-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.176.141

I bought a Seagate 100GB drive from Fry's last week. It is the size of a wallet and is powered by the USB connection. All my photography folders are on it and it frees up space on the C drive. It takes maybe 2 minutes to write 1 GB...very fast. BTW, I copy everything to a CD after a shooting session and prior to the re-format of the memory card.

I wore out my desktop CD burner and now use a Memorex with Nero software that allows unlimited sizes to copy. It tells you how many CDs to have ready to insert.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 11-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

I searched long and hard and found a GREAT solution. Archive Creator allows you to write to CD/DVD, it spans disks as necessary, and includes a web-gallery style index that can go on just the first disk in the set, or all of them. You browse through the folders to find the image you want, then click a button to open it. It prompts you for the appropriate disk in the set. This allows you to just recover one image if you want to.

Spanning disks was the biggest feature that I wanted. Using any other backup software meant that you had to restore the whole set (say using Windows backup) or go through the tedium of breaking-up images into 700Mb chunks (say Nero). This has been a real life saver for me.

I burn a CD when I'm done shooting with the model and have done no editing. Then when I'm done editing I burn another CD and store that off-site. And occasionally I copy the images over to another HD on a different PC, just to be sure.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

Old 11-15-2005, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.30

Look at the possibility of getting yourself a DVD burner, and or external hard drive.. At the moment, the external drives run a little less than 1.00 / gig, up to a 500gig that I am familiar with..

JP

Old 11-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40769

Quark is offline IP: 68.80.69.54

Hi Don, a DVD burner is a great solution since they can store up to 8 gigs on one DVD. Splitting up 11 gigs onto CDROMS is painful. I've done it.

Another solution would be the external drive but they can fail too. It's best to put your backups onto tape or some type of non-mechanical media. The odds are in your favor they wouldn't break at the same time but it's still possible.

I work in the I.T. field and see hard drives just quit frequently. Most of the time it's preceeded with some odd clicking, drive noises or errors. This weekend, a drive on one of my poweredge servers quit. No warning, just stopped working. Luckily it's on an array and I only had to slap in a new drive. Frightening though.

If you're ever concerned about your entire PC, images, OS, etc... look into Norton Ghost - Norton Ghost

This software makes an "image" or cloan of your entire PC. If your hard drive fails, this software (and a new hard drive) will have your entire PC back to the way it was within minutes or hours. With normal backups, you still have to reinstall programs, operating system, etc... Ghost is only around $70 and you can even set it up to do automatic incremental backups.

Good luck and may your hard drives last forever.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Quark Find More Posts by Quark

Old 11-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38731

Joe_Hillebrandt is offline IP: 65.33.192.70

Just an observation on image backups...

I burn a DVD of each individual photo session as soon as it (the session) is completed which is kept in my file cabinet with the model releases. I can then edit photos without worrying about deleting an image in error, losing something during editing, etc. All of my edited images end up in a sub-folder of the session folder (ie: d:\images\2005_1114_Don & d:\images\2005_1114_Don\Edited).

Once I have edited the images, I copy the session folders to an external USB drive, and usually burn a second copy of the DVD for good measure. This process takes a bit longer than others, but it means I have at least 2 backups of the photo session (Original DVD & USB Drive) plus the original copy on disk.

When I get desperate for disk space, I'll delete the unedited versions of my older photo sessions without worrying, since they can be found on the first DVD, the USB disk, and probably on a second DVD as well.

DVD blanks are approximately 25 cents now, so cost isn't a big issue for me. Each DVD "holds" 4.7gb which is more than enough for the 10D raw files from a typical photo session. One added benefit is that I can always find the images for a particular model without having to sift through a bunch of folders simply by locating her model release (filed alphabetically by last name).

I won't say that this is the BEST way to do things, but it works for me! It won't take care of your 14gb "backlog", but might make things easier in the future for you. With all the great work you've been posting, you'll need all the "easy" you can find!

...joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joe_Hillebrandt Visit Joe_Hillebrandt's homepage! Find More Posts by Joe_Hillebrandt