Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
hi guys, new here
Old 11-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46516
Comments: 0

jacob is offline IP: 69.156.36.167

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well I'm new, so hi.
I've been into photography on and off for a few years now, but got into the digital scene recently (used to and still will should with slide film, love the stuff).
My question mainly concerns getting started with portrait (namely Glam).
I only have one flash strobe for now, and plan on getting some more or some actualy strobe flash heads.
What I'd like to ask is more or less what do you recommend for a first time set-up (no studio) but more likely than not will rent or use my friends.
Also, any good sites on portrait/glam photography for techniques and learning what to do.
My main question really is...when shooting portraits are you basically going for a 18% value?
I know it depends on what kind of mood you're trying to impose on the pic, but in general, you want 18% correct?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jacob Find More Posts by jacob

Re: hi guys, new here
Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.86

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm new, so hi.
I've been into photography on and off for a few years now, but got into the digital scene recently (used to and still will should with slide film, love the stuff).
My question mainly concerns getting started with portrait (namely Glam).
I only have one flash strobe for now, and plan on getting some more or some actualy strobe flash heads.
What I'd like to ask is more or less what do you recommend for a first time set-up (no studio) but more likely than not will rent or use my friends.
Also, any good sites on portrait/glam photography for techniques and learning what to do.
My main question really is...when shooting portraits are you basically going for a 18% value?
I know it depends on what kind of mood you're trying to impose on the pic, but in general, you want 18% correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jacob,...I'm old here.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yep, the old grey card is still the standard 18% as does the zone system still applies..that will never change..

I'd strongly reccommend picking up Alien Bee lights made by White Lightning, a division of Paul Buff, in the Good old USA....(not China or Germany)..

I like their 1600 model lights, in fact, I am contemplating switching all my lights to AB's.. the "true watt second rating" is 640 WS, and they offer a light weight unit, with strong construction, a built in cooling fan, a darn good swivel clamp, and darn good accessory lock,...and a 150 watt quartz modeling lamp, plenty of accessories, all for about 350 bucks for the head with tube & modeling lamp..(and cords).. They make a dedicated DC power supply, that works wonderfully, and a 3 year warranty. Their off warranty repairs is the best, just like their customer service.. I like the way they talk in Nashville too.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] For more info see their site:

http://www.alienbees.com

Let them know that I sent you there when you order from them.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 11-15-2005, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.5.218

welcome to the jungle.....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 11-15-2005, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46516

jacob is offline IP: 70.30.55.47

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Jacob,...I'm old here.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yep, the old grey card is still the standard 18% as does the zone system still applies..that will never change..

I'd strongly reccommend picking up Alien Bee lights made by White Lightning, a division of Paul Buff, in the Good old USA....(not China or Germany)..

I like their 1600 model lights, in fact, I am contemplating switching all my lights to AB's.. the "true watt second rating" is 640 WS, and they offer a light weight unit, with strong construction, a built in cooling fan, a darn good swivel clamp, and darn good accessory lock,...and a 150 watt quartz modeling lamp, plenty of accessories, all for about 350 bucks for the head with tube & modeling lamp..(and cords).. They make a dedicated DC power supply, that works wonderfully, and a 3 year warranty. Their off warranty repairs is the best, just like their customer service.. I like the way they talk in Nashville too.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] For more info see their site:

http://www.alienbees.com

Let them know that I sent you there when you order from them.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

[/ QUOTE ]

hi jayson thanks.
hi john.
Well actually John after doing some research online i decided to email alienbees yesterday and got some info from them and you basically helped seal the deal i guess [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
after hearing Paul C. in an interview for studiolighting's site, i can tell there's a genuine business guy with value (of course on top of all the good things i've read and heard).
I guess ill stick to 2 for now, don't know what else i'd need.
Looking at their flash heads, the b400 has a faster recyling time though, which is appealing, as well as the 640 v.s. 160 watts (b1600 - b400)
Where would i need such power (640watts)?
thanks again, really appreciate this, hard to find good help these days [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jacob Find More Posts by jacob