Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Strobes and water
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I may have the need to take some shots in a shower. People obviously shoot models in the shower all the time, and I'm hoping that some of you have some advice on lighting that you can share.

Yea, I know...keep the lights dry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] It seems to me that a strobe would freeze the water and probably create specular highlights that would be distracting. Do I need to use hot lights instead, for longer exposures? What has worked for you?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

Re: Strobes and water
Old 11-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Bump. 450 views and no replies? Apparently I'm not the only one curious about this. Some of you pros post-up, please.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

Old 11-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

What ever you do plug your lights into a GFI!!! Yow!!!

Honey...Im done washing my hair now....Toss me that blow dryer!!!

Don.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.30

Well,......I'm not the expert on this one, that's for sure,...so,...if anyone else can add.. (Andy P. for example [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) go right ahead..

Well,...the other day, I was in a hotel room's shower shooting a model...(first & last time)....and with the limited space, I had to use just one light.. "barebulb" reflecting off the corner of the wall.. I hard wired the connection, because it was to "foggy" in there, even with the fan on with warm; not hot water running,..which created all kinds of condensation because my lenses were cooler than the room.. so I had to step out after every other picture..

As far as working in the studio,.....I couldn't tell you,... I have never done that.. It's a liability that my insurance co. doesn't want to ensure me for.. My studio isn't big enough to accomodate a pool.. and with all the stands, cords, and other "tripable" things around, I could easily see why.. I did see a good behind the scenes video of the Ironman swimsuit video...(tame / lame/ PG) but they did show a really nice set where they show with a model/s in a pool,...with a large painted background to look like a beach..and had water pouring on a model via an assistant holding a flower waterer thingy up over her from a ladder..

One problem I have in my studio / building, is that I have a very old eletrical system.. (no ground)...which makes for some horrible TV signal, hence my reason for not watching TV... I have seen a demo of this in a video, where a guy stood in a bucket of water, and dropped in an appliance..like a hair drier...or something like that,..and it didn't fry him... well,....if you are going to attempt to shoot water stuff,...for your sake and the model's safety,...I'd check to see what you can do with an electrician to be sure everything will be o.k. even IF something were to happen..

Also,... use heavy duty stands, and counter ballance weights / sand bags on the bottom of your stand, (which are on raised rubber mats)...to help keep them from tipping over because those stand legs make for good "trippers".. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Again,...I stress checking with your business insurance...which your policy should have a $2,000,00.00 umbrella policy for major mamajama claims..

I'm sure others can add to this discussion too, now that I broke the ice.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

I've never shot an indoor shower, but I've shot some at an outdoor(pool) shower but there was plenty of space so no problem. And I've shot in the rain with no problem. I used an Elinchrom Ranger which is water proof and put a translucent trashbag over the flash head and had no problems.

I would be very reluctant to get strobes or hotlights that are designed for indoor use near standing water.

You could also try an off the camera TTL cord to get a standard flash off your camera or have someone hold it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 11-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

BGPhoto is offline IP: 24.98.67.22

Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm talking about shooting in a shower that's built in someone's home. There would be a drain field (tub or shower stall) and the area that I would be standing and setting-up lights would be very dry. I have no plans to put lights anywhere near where they could end-up wet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623

bscott3125 is offline IP: 70.129.186.215

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm talking about shooting in a shower that's built in someone's home. There would be a drain field (tub or shower stall) and the area that I would be standing and setting-up lights would be very dry. I have no plans to put lights anywhere near where they could end-up wet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you light it? Just like you would any other shot. Being in the shower has nothing to do with basic lighting techniques.

Best advice...practice in your own shower at home. Try bouncing light (off ceiling, walls, etc). Try direct lighting with a Soft Box. Just experiment with it. Most likely you're going to have a mixture of techniques. I for one would probably bounce off of the celing (if it's white) and then use a softbox to "fill" with.

Do you know what the environment looks like that you'll be shooting in. White walls? White "bathtub"? Or is tiled with warm tones etc etc etc

Don't let that fact that it's a "shower" intimidate you. Your still just lighting a subject. A lot of how you light it will also depend on the "mood" you want to create (i.e. glamour, commercial, etc)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

Shadows
Old 11-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

One of the things to watch out for are the shadows caused by the water drops. You're right, it's possible to stop the water drops with the high speed of the flash - which makes them objects that block the light. Take that into consideration when you set up the lighting. This is one of those situations where you bounce the light around rather than aiming it into the shower.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Re: Shadows
Old 11-16-2005, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35373

tk6968 is offline IP: 70.161.136.232

As long as the walls and ceiling are white, just bounce the light off of them. If they are not white use foamcore to bounce the light. Keep the exhaust fan on, some strobes don't like humidity.

View Public Profile Send a private message to tk6968 Visit tk6968's homepage! Find More Posts by tk6968