Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
melting gels make smoke! HELP!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.8.97

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

so i bought some full CTB gels to use on my halogen home depot lights to daylight balance them for ambient light in scenes while using my AB strobe. within about 5-10 min of covering a light with a chunk of gel it heated up so much it was smoking and melted till it was on the glass itself!

how do i use gels with these lights so they dont melt and are reusable (how do i use gels properly with these lights?) people have suggested daylight balancing them with gels on here but no one mentioned how quickly they melt.

any examples or photos of use would be great. i also picked up a pack of colored starter gels to experiment and play with colors.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: melting gels make smoke! HELP!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
JAM
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35499

JAM is offline IP: 70.124.78.6

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tim, I think if you want to use gels and hot lights you may want to put the gel over your lens. Hot lights as you have found out will melt the gel. As I have found out, putting gels on my Alien Bee studio light I also need to turn off the modeling lights as they will also melt the gels. Good luck with them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JAM Visit JAM's homepage! Find More Posts by JAM

Old 10-20-2005, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

dude, you din't put the gel on the glass did you? i use hotlights all the time, mostly for shooting video, but sometimes for stills. and, btw, a 1k (or more) gets as hot as your home depot lights. I gel them or diffuse them regularly. usually, the gels are attached to barn doors with C-47s (wood clothespins that have been taken apart, the wood pins turned around so the tapered ends pinch together, and reassemlbed). you need to get the gels far enough out in front of the lamp so it doesnt melt.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-20-2005, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
dude, you din't put the gel on the glass did you? i use hotlights all the time, mostly for shooting video, but sometimes for stills. and, btw, a 1k (or more) gets as hot as your home depot lights. I gel them or diffuse them regularly. usually, the gels are attached to barn doors with C-47s (wood clothespins that have been taken apart, the wood pins turned around so the tapered ends pinch together, and reassemlbed). you need to get the gels far enough out in front of the lamp so it doesnt melt.

[/ QUOTE ]

no of course i didnt put it on the glass! had about a 1" gap with the gel 'bowed' acros the face of the light. it melted down and then stuck to the glass. i guess ive got to figure out a way to put the gel even farther from the face of it... and i will drill hole in the light to allow SOME heat dissapation

i spent my last little chunk of change for the month on these stupid gels they'd better work!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 10-20-2005, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Tim, I think if you want to use gels and hot lights you may want to put the gel over your lens. Hot lights as you have found out will melt the gel. As I have found out, putting gels on my Alien Bee studio light I also need to turn off the modeling lights as they will also melt the gels. Good luck with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess my confusion is that.. these are made for theatrical lights!! those suckers get hot... i was sweating like a pig at all my concerts under those damn things... but here i am melting one within minutes. i want to gel the lights to mix halogen and AB strobe, also apply color effects to certain lights, so geling my lens wouldnt work but good idea

Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38676

David_L_Brown is offline IP: 68.96.170.10

Tim, instead of matching your hot lights to your AB's why not do it the other way around? If you put orange gels over the AB's and turn off the modeling lights you won't have a heat issue. Just set your camera on tungsten WB or do a custom setting.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David_L_Brown Find More Posts by David_L_Brown

Old 10-20-2005, 02:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Tim, instead of matching your hot lights to your AB's why not do it the other way around? If you put orange gels over the AB's and turn off the modeling lights you won't have a heat issue. Just set your camera on tungsten WB or do a custom setting.

David

[/ QUOTE ]

on one note, genious... i will do that. BUT... i also wanted to play with colored gels over the hot lights... olve that one! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

thanks, great idea

Old 10-20-2005, 02:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

the hole isn't gonna reduce the heat much.... prlby not even noticeably. you need to get those gels at least 6 inches out in front of that light. maybe it would be a good time to figure out how to fabricate some kind of homemade barn doors. or, if you have some black foil, you can shape something to direct the light and to put a gel on the front of it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-20-2005, 02:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
the hole isn't gonna reduce the heat much.... prlby not even noticeably. you need to get those gels at least 6 inches out in front of that light. maybe it would be a good time to figure out how to fabricate some kind of homemade barn doors. or, if you have some black foil, you can shape something to direct the light and to put a gel on the front of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya it was between buying the black foil to shape the light beam or get colored gels... i have an assignment requiring colored gels so i went with those. come pay day i'll grab some black foil...

Old 10-20-2005, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38676

David_L_Brown is offline IP: 68.96.170.10

Still the same basic idea. Use the opposite color of gel over the AB's that you would want to use over the hot lights. For example, if you wanted a magenta color from the hot lights you could put a green gel over the AB's and when you white balanced your camera (to the AB's) your camera would see magenta light from the hot lights.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David_L_Brown Find More Posts by David_L_Brown