Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
RAW workflow
Old 10-19-2005, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 207.179.239.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This entry has nothing to do with JPG vs. RAW, so please only respond if you are a RAW shooter and work with RAW on a daily basis. I would appreciate any comments from those who rely on RAW to feed them and pay their bills [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The studio I work at has decided to change over from Fuji to Canon. More importantly we are testing if RAW can benefit our current workflow (my workflow, I'm the digibee, er). I would like to have a rundown of anyones RAW workflow to compare to how I'm doing mine, because so far RAW is taking longer. (but the color editing is really nice!) I'm torn between its time and its functionality.

I am using:
+Canon Mark II
+Phase One C1 software
+Photoshop 7
+1 GIG Ram on an AMD XP 3200
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Re: RAW workflow
Old 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43581
Comments: 0

PowderDay is offline IP: 71.208.231.47

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The answer will arrive in November:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/

(be sure and take the tour)

Mike...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PowderDay Visit PowderDay's homepage! Find More Posts by PowderDay

Old 10-19-2005, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

My fast workflow is:

1. Open the RAW photos in CS2 Bridge.
2. Select all the photos in a given light set (the ones taken under about the same light)
3. Open in the Bridge.
4. Select one of the photos that is representative of the set.
5. Make any adjustments with the sliders and then the Curves tab.
6. Hit the Select All button
7. Hit the Synchronize button
8. Do a Save, and then choose JPG and any other details.

It is all done. The photos will now be saved out and are ready for the model, wedding party, etc, or for any final post processing in Photoshop.

How long does the above take? I can usually run through a set of 200 photos in about 5-10 minutes with the above process.

I find the Capture 1 workflow to be very tedious compared to Photoshop CS2. But if you're stuck with only PS 7, then you don't have a viable option for doing the work within Photoshop.

cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-20-2005, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.27

I generally shoot RAW+JPG, then seperate the RAWs & JPGs into seperate folders, and auto-rename the files in each folder (before I delete anything, so all the numbers match except for the extension). Then I select from the JPGs, make website galleries for the client, etc. I never touch the RAW files until I need one for output, in which case I go through PS/CS2. Since after so many years of shooting chrome my exposures and color are usually pretty close, the JPGs look just fine for this purpose, but some folks do like to only shoot and work from the RAWs.

The new Bridge in CS2 is not only now a standalone file tool, its much faster than in the previous version, CS. I use a program called ThumbsPlus (www.cerious.com) for all this pre-editing stuff. Its much faster than even CS2, and whips through a lot of these functions in nothing flat. Unfortunately its only for Windows. There are similar programs like Photo Mechanic which is almost the standard among pros.

RAW is really the way to go for maximum flexibility and professional results.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 10-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

I found this piece of software this week and it is REALLY improving my RAW workflow:
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html

First, the current version of this software is FREE so the price is right. They do have a commercial version coming out that will have to be purchased and that version will add levels, cropping, and some other items to the package in addition to the existing functions.

Download the raw images to a folder
Point the software to the folder.
It then creates a thumbnail image in a scrollable window at the top.
Click on a thumbnail.
It displays a larger image (size adjustable) in a window below the thumbnails
Make changes to the white balance (color temperature and tint or click on a white point)
Set sharpening values
Change highlight and/or shadow contrast
Change exposure value
Add fill light
etc
In the thumbnail section you can choose a priority (1,2,3) or assign the image to a trash can (The trash can does not actually delete the image. That is a seperate step)
You can then view the thumbnails by priority and batch export them to raw files when you have made changes.
I usually assign everything that needs Photoshop work to priority two and then batch convert those to a "NeedsWork" folder. The ones that ned no further work, I assign to a priority 1 and batch those to an "OkayAsIs" folder.

From there I make edits in photoshop and save the final images in my "OkayAsIs" folder and then resize and crop for prints or web depending on the destination.

This has worked great for weddings and events. I am not sure how well it would work for something like glamour where most every image is getting some Photoshop retouching and the volume of images is generally lower, at least for me. But for bringing up 800 images from a wedding to sort through, it works wonders. And it is also very fast.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Old 10-30-2005, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42362

jcnlv is offline IP: 68.108.174.64

[ QUOTE ]
I found this piece of software this week and it is REALLY improving my RAW workflow:
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been using "RawShooter Essentials" as well and have found it to be pretty sweet. The fact it is free is pretty amazing. They just came out with a new paid version "RawShooter Premium 2006" which I just purchased... it is not as sexy as "Aperture" (which I don't believe is available for PCs) but for $59 (if ordered no later than October 31st) it offers a lot of features.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jcnlv Visit jcnlv's homepage! Find More Posts by jcnlv