Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Fuji S4 on the way?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.242.58

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I see where one of the large midwest dealers is saying the current price on the S3 is now $1999 or there abouts.

Didn't Fuji drop the price like that on the S2 when the S3 was near ready?

Do you suppose a full frame sensor could be lurking in an S4?

I KNOW nothing, but I can see where Canon gets mentioned more than Fuji lately...

By the way, Fuji, I still love my S2 but I'd be happy to shake out an S4 if you need somebody to check it out... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This is actually a throw away shot that I got to playing with in PS...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Fuji S4 on the way?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37072

bchan3rdi is offline IP: 24.73.51.90

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Al,..same here I love my S2..didnt pick up the S3 cause that money went towards upgrading my lenses. The upgrade from the S2 to S3 took a long time. I wouldnt imagine it out anytime soon. But who knows..I hope they prove me wrong. =) Maybe itll be out in 2009 with the D200 =)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bchan3rdi Find More Posts by bchan3rdi

Old 10-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.199

The S3, was sadly a fuji debacle. There will be no S4 anytime soon either. And ontop of the recent price drop, there are bonus rebates worth about $400 with them now, should include a battery tray, software, etc.

Now, I am not knocking the S3, im actually considering it now for the money. For a wedding shooter the dual 6mp sensors do wonders for the detail on bridal outfits aswell as excellent dynamic range and detail on tuxedos.

But for the most part, Fuji like anything not named Canon got killed recently. Prices were to high for what most deemed technology to low. But from what I can remember, the S3 body was nice, and for what I needed it to do when I had it for a few weeks it did the jobs.

... just, no S4 this year for sure.

JasonNJ
GPCB
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 10-17-2005, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37072

bchan3rdi is offline IP: 24.73.51.90

So you had it or have it? =)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bchan3rdi Find More Posts by bchan3rdi

Old 10-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.121

Didn't Fuji drop the price like that on the S2 when the S3 was near ready?

................Yeppers, they sure did!

Do you suppose a full frame sensor could be lurking in an S4?

........No You'll have to wait for the S-35 for that..it'll be about 30 years from now.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I KNOW nothing, but I can see where Canon gets mentioned more than Fuji lately...

......Yep,....there is a reason for that.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

By the way, Fuji, I still love my S2 but I'd be happy to shake out an S4 if you need somebody to check it out...

.........The S2 is still a fine camera.

This is actually a throw away shot that I got to playing with in PS...

.............Nice shot!

JP

Old 10-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 65.88.151.31

I was talking to the Fuji rep about two weeks ago. They're just having a price drop. Think about it - the D100/70/50 are all under $1,000 now and the 20D is - $1,300?

Probably the best reason that Fuji is mentioned with Canon is that both companies do R&D and have soemthing to talk about.

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 10-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 68.196.99.6

I have it when I want it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Im an S2 shooter, but, how often do I shoot anymore? So when it's all commercial work the gear is provided or I simply put in the request.

I loved the body on the S2, the feel, and if anybody is a classic nikon shooter they can see how it has a feel and layout similar to the N80, the S3 is a improved design from the S2, better feel overall and I still like the layout.

It was always the pricetag issue and the fact I don't -NEED- the S3 that kept me from it.

If i were invested heavily in Nikon gear and not looking to make the jump, it would be either the S3 or the D2x. Edgewise to the D2x, but we are looking at a price difference. It's an option, it can do the job, but nobody in their right mind was going to pay the $2500 they were asking up till recently for a camera that is essentially a very well done and sharp 6mp camera.

Now, if you know the right people, itsn ot even the $1999 advertised, so its still a fine camera to go for. JT I think is using an S3 since his S1 went bye bye, he would be a good voice for the S3 right now, I have only had 2 people shoots with the S3, both corporate, otherwise all stock stuff. But from what it can do, a wedding shooters dream like I said.

JasonNJ
GPCB
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 10-17-2005, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45608
Comments: 3

Brad is offline IP: 70.119.153.110

Nice shot!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Old 10-17-2005, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.240.195

Hmmmmm, stirred up some activity! Seems to be some interest in what Fuji may have up their sleeve.

Always fun to guess at what corporations are doing. Obviously Fuji was in a difficult price position, and a $500 price cut along with $400 "worth" of freebies won't hurt. Can they go even lower in price? Probably, but why would they at this point?

Is there an S4 in the works? I don't know.

I think they have a good handle on merging technology from several sources and producing an excellent product, but they then also pay a higher production price for their product.

Will Nikon continue to produce bodies for them? Probably...
Will they continue with their sensor development? Be crazy not to...

Will there be an S4 this year? Not likely, but then it's mid-October. Two and a half months and it's a new year...

I figure my S2 is good for another two or three years at the rate I shoot. Check back then and see what toys I have...

Has Canon taken control of the digital SLR market? Maybe for the moment, but things can change fast... One breakthrough, and it doesn't have to be a major breakthrough, and the whole complexion of the business could change. Or maybe just an innovative marketing campaign from another company... It happens all the time.

Anyway, thanks for commenting on the image. As I said, it started out rather differently and with some not so skillful PS manipulation wound up looking fairly reasonable. One tip... sometimes over sharpening, and I mean way over sharpening, can produce some neat visual effects.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 10-18-2005, 01:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.67

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm, stirred up some activity! Seems to be some interest in what Fuji may have up their sleeve.

Always fun to guess at what corporations are doing. Obviously Fuji was in a difficult price position, and a $500 price cut along with $400 "worth" of freebies won't hurt. Can they go even lower in price? Probably, but why would they at this point?

Is there an S4 in the works? I don't know.

I think they have a good handle on merging technology from several sources and producing an excellent product, but they then also pay a higher production price for their product.

Will Nikon continue to produce bodies for them? Probably...
Will they continue with their sensor development? Be crazy not to...

Will there be an S4 this year? Not likely, but then it's mid-October. Two and a half months and it's a new year...

I figure my S2 is good for another two or three years at the rate I shoot. Check back then and see what toys I have...

Has Canon taken control of the digital SLR market? Maybe for the moment, but things can change fast... One breakthrough, and it doesn't have to be a major breakthrough, and the whole complexion of the business could change. Or maybe just an innovative marketing campaign from another company... It happens all the time.

Anyway, thanks for commenting on the image. As I said, it started out rather differently and with some not so skillful PS manipulation wound up looking fairly reasonable. One tip... sometimes over sharpening, and I mean way over sharpening, can produce some neat visual effects.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that do hope for...but I know won't happen, is for Nikon to release a FF camera to compete with Canon,....which will bring the price of those cameras down to people who don't have 16K to blow on a couple of camera bodies..

I do believe that Minolta-Konica will be introducing one, simply because of their lens mount.. that seems to be the issue with the Nikons from what I've read... then again,....Kodak managed to introduce a somewhat good FF Nikon mount camera.. who knows..

Now,....Pentax is rumored to introduce a FF camera this Winter.. That's good, but who owns Pentax 35mm AF lenses..? Very few, but that "could" change..

Nikon or errr uhh... "Sony" is continueing to use this 1.5x to 2.0x crop but that has it's disadvantsages as well with AF, depth of field separation between subject and background,...and the end result...noise...no matter how you slice it,......noise....too bad.. A new lens mount is not in the works for Nikon either.

Canon on the other hand is on it's 3rd FF body...and soon to be released, 4th.. ....which will be followed up by a 5th...and a 6th...etc.. so,....I don't know about all you,... but despite the minor (exaggerated) problems with FF,... that's the direction I'm taking,...and so are many many converts every single day now.. How about that eh?

JP

BTW,...nice pic.... she is HOT!

Post more in my "Glamour topic PLEASE!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]