Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
You can hang me now!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42503
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to insanepinoy

insanepinoy is offline IP: 68.122.70.114

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I took the opportunity to shoot a wedding for a relative in Hawaii. The bride insisted on me shooting the wedding even though I told her this would be my first time. I've taken some candids for my friend's wedding while I wasn't doing my part as the best man which turned out ok. She saw those posted online and liked them.

So my gear will consist of..

Canon 10d
Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
Canon 50mm 1.8
550ex w/stofen (bunch of AA batteries from Costco)
3gigs of memory (if this isn't enough I have access to a laptop to transfer)
6 batteries

backup will be a (hopefully I won't have to use)

Canon Elan II
Canon 28-80mm 3.5-5.6

Sooooo.. I just recently aquired my 550ex and have been reading up and experimenting with it. I want to get good results and shooting with a flash off camera would be the ideal lighting right?

I have my Old Skool Flashes and was wondering if I should use one on an optical slave w/ umbrella triggered by my 550ex on camera. I'll be moving the off camera flash closer or further for amount of light. The umbrella and mount to a tripod shouldn't cost me no more than $40 I think.

Should I go the easier route and buy a flash bracket? Then I'd have to get the sync cable where I'd have to spend over a $100. Funds are tight right now.. New flash, new lens, plane ticket, hotel, blah blah blah.. you get the idea.

How about Gary Fong's lightsphere? Any fans of it?

By the way.. I'll be at the rehearsal where I'll be able to see what I'm working with and most likely be able to take a few test shots. Should I take one of the approaches above or shoot with what I have? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Re: You can hang me now!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.127

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'd get a flash bracket for sure..

Plus keep in mind that you'll probably be shooting some ambient light shots as well,...it seams that those just look so nice..

The other day, I was covering an event,..I brought over a ton of stuff as I usually do,..but I just loved the natural light there...a mix of blue and red light...and after a while, I broke out the fast primes, shot wide open,...and the client was thrilled with them..

Enjoy your time over there! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks JP.. Your pics don't always show up but I managed to see it once. Great shots with ambient light! I usually shoot ambient light w/ or w/o reflector. I'm not that experienced with flashes. I'm crossing my fingers that the church and reception area will have enough light to shoot at least wide open w/o flash. If not I'll take some test shots before the actual event. Indoor wedding in Hawaii?? Don't ask.. I'm askin myself already.

..and here I am trying to save a nickel. Any bracket recommendations?? Also, what settings should I be shooting with? Camera on manual and 550ex on ettl? Expose for background and let the flash expose the subject? This is what I learned from reading and experimenting.

Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to insanepinoy Visit insanepinoy's homepage! Find More Posts by insanepinoy

Old 10-14-2005, 02:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402

timxdrama is offline IP: 64.165.68.47

1. grab a bracket.. something like a stroboframe 'quick flip' so its easy for verticals and horizontals...

2. take me along as a second shooter / assistant
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 10-15-2005, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
1. grab a bracket.. something like a stroboframe 'quick flip' so its easy for verticals and horizontals...

[/ QUOTE ]

Any experience with the "quick flip"? I was thinking of picking up the stroboframe camera flip where my hand would be above the camera shooting vertical (no grip) vs. the flash quick flip where your hand is below. I'm used to shooting with my hand on top when vertical thats why.

Hey if you can pay for your plane ticket and hotel your welcome to join me and tackle this job [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I might be getting a couple more wedding opportunities and will keep you in mind if your interested.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

timxdrama is offline IP: 64.165.69.201

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any experience with the "quick flip"? I was thinking of picking up the stroboframe camera flip where my hand would be above the camera shooting vertical (no grip) vs. the flash quick flip where your hand is below. I'm used to shooting with my hand on top when vertical thats why.

Hey if you can pay for your plane ticket and hotel your welcome to join me and tackle this job [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I might be getting a couple more wedding opportunities and will keep you in mind if your interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

the quick flip i used forced my verticals to be opposite for me.. hand 'under' he camera and it was really annoying.

i cant afford to fly out to hawaii right now, cant miss work. but damn thats tempting haha. let me know if you get gigs up here. i think were the only two in our skill range up here?? i could be way off.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 10-16-2005, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]

the quick flip i used forced my verticals to be opposite for me.. hand 'under' he camera and it was really annoying.

i cant afford to fly out to hawaii right now, cant miss work. but damn thats tempting haha. let me know if you get gigs up here. i think were the only two in our skill range up here?? i could be way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm.. Thats one of my concerns because I shoot with my hand above for verticals as well. I did a search for previous posts on flash brackets and saw John Paul with the same bracket mounted the other way. I'm not sure how comfortable it is shooting that way with the bracket handle in the way of the grip. Shooting vertical would be ok because he has the vertical grip which I think I'll pick up later. I guess I'll have to suffer shooting oddly.

It would be cool if I had a backup shooter with me. I'll let you know if I come across another gig. You'd be surprised how many photogs are out here. All have different skill ranges and styles. Then you have the "posers"... I won't get into that.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Hey JP I saw the pic of you shooting with the flash bracket. How do you shoot horizontal shots with the grip of the bracket in the way? Comfortable? I can see you have a vertical grip so that answers the other question I would of had.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

timxdrama is offline IP: 64.165.69.201

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm.. Thats one of my concerns because I shoot with my hand above for verticals as well. I did a search for previous posts on flash brackets and saw John Paul with the same bracket mounted the other way. I'm not sure how comfortable it is shooting that way with the bracket handle in the way of the grip. Shooting vertical would be ok because he has the vertical grip which I think I'll pick up later. I guess I'll have to suffer shooting oddly.

It would be cool if I had a backup shooter with me. I'll let you know if I come across another gig. You'd be surprised how many photogs are out here. All have different skill ranges and styles. Then you have the "posers"... I won't get into that.

[/ QUOTE ]

what body do you use?

i tried the bracket like that and couldnt fit my hand around, but thats before i had the vertical grip.

ya ive run across tons of photogs out here that are terrible, but make great money because they have a name. i want headshots coming to me!

Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
what body do you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, I have the 10d w/out grip. I just put an order in last weekend for the stroboframe flash flip and off shoe cable 2 which should arrive this thurs. With my luck UPS will deliver my package to my neighbor again. I'll have a chance to use my setup this weekend at a christening.

[ QUOTE ]
ya ive run across tons of photogs out here that are terrible, but make great money because they have a name. i want headshots coming to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it bro. My friend had a photographer shoot his wedding back in July and they came out like snapshots from a disposable. No kidding. Is that what you get for $500 now a days? Jeez.. Puts other photographers in shame. I would of shot the wedding but I was the best man [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I was looking for single women and drinks!