Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Nikon,...Noise Leader!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.168

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Oh well,...for thouse of you Nikon die hards.............sorry! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Phil did a little side by side here for you to see on the 1DsMk2, 20D, and D2x.. see for yourselves..

BTW, the 5D is even better than all three..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/cano...kii/page19.asp

JP

Re: Nikon,...Noise Leader!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.137.156.114

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, after looking at the test results, it seems that the Cannon results have a color cast to them and on a couple, more noise. On the same token, on a few the Nikon had more noise. Let me ask you, while the differance is minor, how bad is it for someone like you as a pro? JP, I know you are a Cannon man, and I a Nikon man, and I know you ain't gonna buy nothing with Nikon on it, unless it's a joke, but are these small differances major enough for someone whith one of these cameras to switch cameras, spending that much money not just on the body, but the lenses as well?

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 10-11-2005, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.168

Sorry guy,...the 800, 1600, and 3200 iso is very important in my line of work..the Nikon/Sony doesn't do well at all there.. and this is their "top of the line" camera? Wow.. Well,....yes,...for someone who shoots at high iso speeds...like me,...and they have to turn over acceptable looking shots,...it is enough for major publishers to not buy Nikon equipment...it is a factor in the smaller publishers who see the side by side results of their staff and or freelancers who shoot for them, who they will assign more work to.. It makes a big difference..because picture quality means everything.. Another reason why SI has stayed with Canon,...and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel gave up their Nikon system, even after ordering D2 bodies,...after they saw what the Mk2 could do.. They not only dropped Nikon, but they also bought a 16-35L, 70-200is L, two Mk2 bodies for every photographer on staff, and several 300mm, 400mm & 600mm lenses. The differance was great enough for a friend of mine who owns a company called "VIP" to buy a number of Mk2 bodies, 70-200is and 300mm 2.8 lenses.....and a number of 20D bodies for their studio and school division pictures.. I don't know anyone who is dropping their Canon gear and going with Nikon....I just don't..

JP

Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.137.156.114

JP, I thought we covered this already, I ain't trying to convert you to Nikon, your Cannon seems to suit you well, plus, you have dropped lots of money on your system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Nikon always works for me with flying colors and the times I've tried a Cannon, it fell short, hence my desision to stay with Nikon. Both companies put out a great product. I know you think that Nikon sucks the sweat off a dead mans genitles, but hey, lets face it, there's a lot of people that disagree. There's people that disagree with me. I think that one reason that companies are going with Cannon is the bottom line - money. A 20D is about 2,000 dollars cheeper than the Nikon D2X. Let's face it, multiply that by several cameras, and that is a lot of money. Plus, let's face it, Cannon has on a regular basis developed thier cameras for sports photography, hence the better results at higher speeds. But hey, then you got the Cannon Elph. What a joke. APS format, that's funny.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 10-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44422
Comments: 0

wickedwillie50131 is offline IP: 12.216.166.195

What you guys are both saying is this, it all depends on the type of work that each is doing. Simple and plain. It also depends which system each of you is most comfortable with. As far as how loud a camera operates. If you are, afraid of sniper fire, are paparazi, shooting the most dangerous of animals that are not afraid to step on you, eat you, beat you up, or you need that perfect natural shot, noise should not be a factor.

For most digital guys, slight hues and casts can be corrected with photoshop, even though it is best to have it right the first time in the camera. I still shoot film because I am comfortable with it and I believe for my image quality is fine for my needs. BTW I do not shoot with Canon or Nikon. Think old with newer parts.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wickedwillie50131 Find More Posts by wickedwillie50131

Old 10-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41021

PhotoDave is offline IP: 68.5.109.137

hmm, I find it odd that:
1) The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II was *not* using default settings, but the other were.
2) The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II image fills the frame, the others don't. Due to multiplication factors and the like, a true side by side comparision should use equal shots.

Just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. Now I agree in this case it *might* be, but come on, the guy tuned his baby for optimized shots and left the other two cameras at the rather sucky defaults.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by PhotoDave

Old 10-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.143

[ QUOTE ]
hmm, I find it odd that:
1) The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II was *not* using default settings, but the other were.
2) The Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II image fills the frame, the others don't. Due to multiplication factors and the like, a true side by side comparision should use equal shots.

Just because it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. Now I agree in this case it *might* be, but come on, the guy tuned his baby for optimized shots and left the other two cameras at the rather sucky defaults.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ididn't see that... thanks for pointing that out.... well, that figures,... we're talking Phil,...they guy who tossed my pro-american ass off his crappy forum site, who wouldn't understand how to make a good comparrison test if it was shown to him.. The guy is known for compareing a camera with prime vs zoom lenses..and other factors..

However,...I'd still bet that between the two cameras, that the 1Ds would still outperform the D2x in noise comps, and DR.. The FF factor it just a huge advantage as well..

All I'll be able to do is a side by side with my 20D,..because I don't know anyone around here who would be happy to lend me his D2x body.....perhaps because they wouldn't want to know the truth..? LOL!

If you or anyone else finds a darn good side by side test,...please let me know..

JP

Old 10-12-2005, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41021

PhotoDave is offline IP: 65.211.224.2

Jp - just for the record, I was pointing out flaws in the testing. I agree the camera is probably good tool. But I'd say teh Nikon is a good tool to.

I recently met a guy that swears his high-end nikon is great for studio work, but for outdoor shots, his D70 outperforms it - go figure!

In the end, it is a tool. Folks buy what they like. I buy Nikon now, and in the future, maybe canon, maybe something else. I do have to say though, I love my brand spanking new Nikkor 80-200/2.8 VR ED lens. It's just great!

As for the tool debate, some folks buys Craftsman, I prefer Snap-On and Mac. Are tehy better? No. I just prefer them. I like the cosmetics and the feel of the finished tool, the angles of the wrench head, etc... I don't even mind the higher price [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When it comes to cameras, same thing. If it feels good to you, looks good to you, produces what you want, why change?
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by PhotoDave

Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46366

Paul54 is offline IP: 208.61.112.146

Phi is not god, and he is known to compare prime vs. zoom. It's like comparing a Mercedes to Ford Taurus. both have 4 wheels, seating capacity 5, etc.

Phil has his own opinion, and I respect that. But other than that, I take it with a grain of salt.

Just my $0.02 worth.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul54 Find More Posts by Paul54

Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.177

Yep,.....you know it,...and there are several threads there regarding his bias..

JP