Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
D30 black pixs?? anyone else??
Old 10-01-2005, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 80.58.13.235

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

hello and greets!! just wanted to see if anyone else here has encountered this problem. i have a canon EOS D30. it works great BUT when i use an external flash, all of a sudden the other great fotos have been coming out DARK as if the flash didnt fire, though it did. the viewfinder info recognizing the flash works, showing the proper flash shutter speed and f-stop. but look at the pix afterwards and the pix is nearly black. this happens when using the on-camera flash also, using prg and full auto in both situations.

of course, NOT using the flash still gives me great fotos w/o any problems. i would think if the shutter was screwing up as appears to be the problem, it would occur in ALL cases, not just in flash exposures. i don't use my flash too many times, but the rare times i'd like to have a functional flash. the last times the flash (both ext and on-camera) was used was about two months ago with NO problems!

any ideas?? suggestions?? thanks for your time and comments...

no flash required here!!!

Re: D30 black pixs?? anyone else??
Old 10-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Is there some way that you can set the sync on your camera? Perhaps it's been set to a different synch method than what you need?

On my Nikon, for example, one synch setting for TTL metering and another for full-flash figure-it-out-yourself and the two settings are NOT compatible.

G'luck

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Re: D30 flash synch
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

hahahahaaaa! thanks for your reply. i DiD try doing that manually right after i posted and it didnt work. i'm filling my card of shots of midnight alleys and moonless streets!!

thanks again!!

Old 10-01-2005, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.124

I've had similar problems on the D30 & other cameras...basically,...the camera's hot shoe needs to be replaced.. which is about 200 US dollars or so.. However, you might just want to try cleaning the contacts very well before you send it away to get fixed, because it may just be some dirt that is prohibiting the eletric contact between the two pieces of equipment..

Also,...check to see if the hot shoe is loose at all...sometimes,...you can hold the flash with your finger and still get a flash by applying preassure to the loose contact while taking a picture.. I had one go down on me right in the middle of an event....where I was getting paid to shoot some guy chewing on a michrophone....all my flash pictures were turning out all...like hell... and I found the loose connection, and just held the thing in place, the best I could,....and get the necessary shots with the working flash..

Another thing,...I don't mean to pick on you specifically, but want to make a greater point....is that if one is photographing professionally,.....having..(and owning)....back-up equipment in good working order is essential!

Good luck with your D30!

JP

Re: D30 flash synch contacts??
Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

thanks for your time and comments/suggestions.

ok, i can undertsand the contacts getting loose; i've dropped this camera enuff to kill an elephant, but even when i use the on-camera flash?? wouldn't that be separate and still work??

thanks again JP, you know i always value your opinion.

Re: D30 flash synch contacts??
Old 10-01-2005, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.124

Hmmmm..........you've stumped me there.....because I never used the built in flash on either of mine......it's possible that it is just messed up.... The one that lived..(I accidentally killed a D30 body)......started having all sorts of goofy problems...the thing's buttons would all of a sudden not function....and I would have to remove the batteries for up to 5 minutes before it began working again...which is why I replaced it with a 10D back then.. I sent it in to Canon to get it fixed, and they fixed that problem for the most part.. These things are pretty much computers that take pictures...computers can get all messed up without warning.......I think your computer/D30 needs a little techy work! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

That sucks!

JP

computers that make fotos!!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

DAM!! well, thank goodness i have NO foto jobs for the next year, plus don't normally take any pixs with flash.

no, i wont send it in; no money for that... i cant afford to feed meself let alone fix a camera. thank goodness i dont make any money using this camera or i'd be in deep waters!!!

thanks again!!

Old 10-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367
Comments: 0

bruggemj is offline IP: 68.112.66.212

This may not even be close to what is the problem, but humor me please [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have an older Canon A2, it got to the point where my on camera flash would not come up. Understanding yours does come up, the problem may still lay here.
When using heavier(cheaper in my case) hot shoe flashes there is a tendancy for the flash to put adverse stress on the hot-shoe itself when shooting vertical formats, because the flash is hanging on the camera instead of sitting on the camera. I don't know if the D30 has any different switches under the hot-shoe then the A2 but I fixed my problem by following the instructions in the following link....
Flash repair

On the A2 there are two micro switches under the hot shoe that as the hotshoe as stressed laterally willl no longer return to the released position, thus fooling the camera into thinking it has a flash mounted and not letting the on camera flash pop up. I understand yours comes up but there may still be something there that effects your sync.

If your not real mechanically inclined you may choose to leave this to someone else.

Doubt if it helps but good luck with it anyway [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj