Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
MAXIM Photoshoot Equipment
Old 09-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44998
Comments: 0

SDBPhotography is offline IP: 68.190.49.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What do the photographers use that shoot for MAXIM or Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. They have the most amazing skin tones, lighting, and feel to their pictures. Any advice on high end MAXIM style shoots? What to use: lighting, camera, lighting, makeup, hair, location, etc.

Thanks,

Stu
www.onemodelplace.com/sdbphotography
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SDBPhotography Visit SDBPhotography's homepage! Find More Posts by SDBPhotography

Re: MAXIM Photoshoot Equipment
Old 09-29-2005, 09:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 68.112.66.212

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Don't mean to sound like an @#$ but someone will probably respond with...

Yes to everything you mentioned

Many people here are not real equipment hounds like you might think...

practice....practice....practice

post....post....post

listen....listen....listen

Stick around and keep posting

Joe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

An Article on that other site....tells about using an 11 inch reflector with a sock over it and a soft box for fill.....I tried it...I only have a 7 inch reflector..so I guess size does matter....but this was my result...
not even close I dont think. but I did like the lighting.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.138

The most important element is your eyes. Technically, its my understanding that Maxim & the lad mags use 120mm film, not digital (althought that could have changed lately). SI uses whatever the photographer wants. In various videos of SI shoots, I've seen Walter Iooss using everything from 35mm film to an RZ67 to a big Canon digital (take your pick), (and only one assistand holding a plain round reflector). One year someone even used a throw-away for a section. Since the whole industry is in transition, the answer you get today may be invalid next week. Remember that with SI, they have tons of assistants so what they bring is not an issue, but in the end, you can do great images with one camera, a model and nothing else. Which brings up another point. All of the mags that shoot this type of image use big crews - seperate top makeup & hair people, wardrobe stylists, set designers, several assistants, an art director, editor, etc. A lot of it's really bogus and unnecassary (IMO) and simply a way to justify big budgets and stroke celebrity egos, but that's what they do.

As for the lighting and such, well, that's photography. Knowing when and where to shoot, and how to make the model look good when you get there is what its all about, and just takes experience and being willing to work hard to get that. For example, I've been known to spend most of the day NOT shooting, because I'm waiting for the good light that comes at sunset. And there are shots you can get in certain locations, like Florida, that you can't get in Wisconson (I think - I've never been to Wisconson). Sometimes you can't fake it. These shots of Erika and Mandy were done in Sarasota, FL a couple years apart. I couldn't have done them like this here in CA, but I could do something else. (Actually, now that I think of it, I could probably have done the sunset with Mandy in CA, but we only get those sunsets in winter. Also, the water is usually pretty cold and Mandy is not in CA).

One suggestion I have if you want to see how the pros do it, is watch every news story or video that shows behind-the-scenes on these things. Whenever SI or Maxim comes out with a swimsuit issue or some hot celeb, they always show a little bit of the shoot on the tabloid shows like Extra or Entertainment Tonite. SI even does a 1 hour special on VH1 every year (and they re-run the earlier ones all week). You can pick up a lot of "how-they-do-that" tips from just a few seconds of that.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 09-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.85.82

Just so you know .. I don't think they meant one of your sweatty ol' socks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (imagine a little face with 2 x's for eyes here)

ps If you want to talk about size big guy , my nova's are less that 6 inches [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Thanks and keep on posting!
Old 09-29-2005, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44998

SDBPhotography is offline IP: 68.190.49.81

Thanks to all of the photographers that have taken the time to answer my question about MAXIM and SI equipment, lighting, and techniques...If you have anything to add, please feel free!!

View Public Profile Send a private message to SDBPhotography Visit SDBPhotography's homepage! Find More Posts by SDBPhotography

Re: Thanks and keep on posting!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 12.207.7.183

There is an article w/downloadable images about Maxim-style post production on OneModelPlace right now, and has been for several months. Just sign in and it will appear on the first page you see.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 09-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 68.112.66.212

Something I did forget.....

If you go to msn.com
click on "video highlights"
click on the "entertainment" tab
under channels click on "maxim"

They have a few photo shoots there. You will see they shoot a lot of different ways.
In studio, on location etc.
You have to look fast for behind the scenes stuff, but I find them interesting.

Joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

really easy
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

great model
great make up and hair
freakin awesome styling (clothes and accessories)
neat location
simple clean lighting

and 1 dummy to click the shutter

Not to sound too dumb, but there is really not much more than those elements, Pick any image you like from one of the mags, tear it down to those specific elements, define them as such (what is the light, what is the styling, what makes this model work, what makes this location work, etc) and then build your own base up from there and you too can be the dummy that cicks the shutter and makes everyone happy.

Here's one for you from a calendar I shot with a bunch of Playboy Playmates:

Model: Playmate Lani Todd...can't get any better than her.

Styling: fire dept uniform shirt and short satin pants and high heels. 1 big red firetruck and foam and hose and nozzle. Very messy but cool stuff.

Lighting: ringflash on camera, 2 Dyna-Lite strobes with 7 inch reflectors and 1/4 CTO gels 45 degrees behind her, using the corners of the fire truck to flag (block) the light from behind hitting the camera lens. Shot 1 stop below ambient light to let our flashes do their thing. Looks like daylight, doesn't it? 1 flag (black fabric light blocker) directly over camera lens to block any exterior light.

Make-up and hair by model..once again, key visual element.

1 dummy to push button (ME!) Nikon D2X in 16 bit RAW format reduced to jpeg.

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Photoshop...
Old 10-01-2005, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.166

It begins with trivial photography equipment, and ends in Adobe Photoshop under layers and layers of merged images all doing different things that weren't in the original image..............which reminds me,......did anyone see the eddition of FHM where Leanne Tweeden was on the cover...??? What the hell happened to her...??!! I swear to god,....it looks like she was a burn victim....and had a massive skin transplant from a rubber suit! Sorry guys,...but to me,....all that looks soooooo distracting,....and like complete and total crap!

JP

Lee-Anne Moore,.....a model with a real complection! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]