Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photography ESSENTIALS
Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.14.17

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am working on acquiring stuff i want/need and was wondering what a typical photographer in this forum has on hand equipment wise. the basics MUST HAVES.. in order, so i have an idea on what to invest in next!

HAVE:
Canon 20D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
Canon 28-135 IS lens
Canon 50mm f1.8 lens
1 gig card
512mb card
laptop
Alien Bees 1600 monolight
48" shoot thru umbrella
32" brolly box umbrella
20 degree grid
13' stand
bunch of 500 watt halogen work lights

WANT:
backdrop setup
some sort of reflectors
stands for reflectors and accessories
at least two more alien bees lights/stands
soft boxes
more 1gig cards
Canon 17-40L f2.8 L
Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS

any suggestions, or lists of all your gadgets... being a techy nerd doesnt help cos im always shopping online. based on my current setup where do you think my next investments should be?

thanks
tim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: Photography ESSENTIALS
Old 09-28-2005, 01:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.10.159

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tim,
I didn't see a light meter on the list. If you are going to shoot with strobes, it will be a must have. I personally would recommend the sekonic L-358 and spend the extra $20 or so for the pocket wizard module purchased with the meter purchase. It will cost you $100 if purchased later on. Not having a light meter will really disrupt your strobe work.

Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Re: What is ESSENTIAL is in the image ...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39269

Hawaii_Mike is offline IP: 4.7.212.157

Tim,

A great gear box is an asset; however, the top essentials in my book are

INSPIRATION & VISION

After that a great muse (model), a great stylist (partner), a great location (atmosphere) and then the gear.

Although, the right gear can even make things easier, always remember too much gear can become cumbersome, distract and slow down even the best.

In general when I shoot portraits, I bring a short telephoto (say 85 mm for 35mm or 180 mm for medium format), a normal or wide angle lens, large reflector disc, light meter and of course the camera and a backup. On a location shoot, its best to bring an assistant to act as a gopher, hold the reflector / gobo, load film backs, fetch memory cards / lenses / camera bodies, carry gear, fetch refreshments, etc.

Backdrops, muslins, portable strobes, umbrellas, soft-boxes, monopods, tripods, long telephotos and extreme wide angle lenses, and so on are all nice to have but not necessary for my work.

If your vision dictates that you have a need for these things, you'll know. Otherwise, although it's always good to be familiar with what equipment is available, so you know what to ask for when your vision dictates the impossible, most of it you'll never need.

Aloha from Hawaii,
Michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hawaii_Mike Find More Posts by Hawaii_Mike

Old 09-28-2005, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

*I* would say what's next for you would be (in order):

Meter (I'm partial to my Sekonic L358)

Five-in-one reflector (gold/silver/black/white reversible cover and translucent permanent center)

I try to pick up a CF card every month - I'm of the "lots of little 'uns" school of thought.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 09-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Tim,
I didn't see a light meter on the list. If you are going to shoot with strobes, it will be a must have. I personally would recommend the sekonic L-358 and spend the extra $20 or so for the pocket wizard module purchased with the meter purchase. It will cost you $100 if purchased later on. Not having a light meter will really disrupt your strobe work.

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

oops forgot to add that one! just got a sekonic l-358 off ebay used... it has taken over a week to ship and im very impatiently waiting for it! thanks for catching that!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 09-28-2005, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
*I* would say what's next for you would be (in order):

Meter (I'm partial to my Sekonic L358)

Five-in-one reflector (gold/silver/black/white reversible cover and translucent permanent center)

I try to pick up a CF card every month - I'm of the "lots of little 'uns" school of thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya the L358 is in the mail i forgot to put it on there. what good is a relfector if i dont have anyone to hold it? are there stands/clips that make the use of them easier?

Re: What is ESSENTIAL is in the image ...
Old 09-28-2005, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Tim,

A great gear box is an asset; however, the top essentials in my book are

INSPIRATION & VISION

After that a great muse (model), a great stylist (partner), a great location (atmosphere) and then the gear.

Although, the right gear can even make things easier, always remember too much gear can become cumbersome, distract and slow down even the best.

In general when I shoot portraits, I bring a short telephoto (say 85 mm for 35mm or 180 mm for medium format), a normal or wide angle lens, large reflector disc, light meter and of course the camera and a backup. On a location shoot, its best to bring an assistant to act as a gopher, hold the reflector / gobo, load film backs, fetch memory cards / lenses / camera bodies, carry gear, fetch refreshments, etc.

Backdrops, muslins, portable strobes, umbrellas, soft-boxes, monopods, tripods, long telephotos and extreme wide angle lenses, and so on are all nice to have but not necessary for my work.

If your vision dictates that you have a need for these things, you'll know. Otherwise, although it's always good to be familiar with what equipment is available, so you know what to ask for when your vision dictates the impossible, most of it you'll never need.

Aloha from Hawaii,
Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

all very nicely put michael thanks very much. my vision is still in the works. i see images in my head all the time, my effort to recreate them in real life has been my struggle. hence my seeking out cool new equipment to try and pull off some ideas ive got!

and well.. IM the assistant/gopher... having one of my own is a ways away for sure. and im not basing that on ym age cos i dont think age plays a factor too much, im referring to my amatuer status. im lucky to get a model to not flake on me so trying to add more people into the mix right now is just frustrating!

Old 09-28-2005, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

[ QUOTE ]

ya the L358 is in the mail i forgot to put it on there. what good is a relfector if i dont have anyone to hold it? are there stands/clips that make the use of them easier?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool on the meter [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yah, there are reflector holders that clamp onto light stands...I have one, it's kinda neato...Here are the results (which I think you'll find amusing):

reflector leaning against my knee:

reflector in one hand, camera in the other:

In other words, skip that $50+ reflector holder and take an extra stand and a roll of duct tape out with you. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Or an assitant. Or get a battery kit for your Bee.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 09-28-2005, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Oh - and if you're going to do much outdoor stuff, I'd also say go for the 70-200 first...

Old 09-28-2005, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.231.83

Jon,

Really like these shots a lot, why aren't they in your portfolio. Model has a fresh beauty about her, very nice.

LSC [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1